Page 7 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post
    just to clarify, i hit the guardrail just past silent rock (iirc) on the way to meadows as a passenger. driver tried to pass uphill in inside lane, started sliding sideways at 40+mph across the outside lane, hit the guardrail with me looking straight down that lovely valley. bounced off the guardrail and kept on going.
    That is frightening. My wife saw an 18 wheeler go through that guard rail and down the cliff 20-25 years ago and it haunts her to this day. That corner is treacherous and people always pass on the inside. Glad to hear you observe silent rock as well!

Growing up, it was always the asshat in the bro truck blowing by everyone just outside of Welches or Zig Zag that was all FUBARed in the snow bank farther up.

If everyone took the necessary precautions and had the right tires on the vehicle - be it AWD or 4WD - 26 and 35 would fair FAR better.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    ...If everyone took the necessary precautions and had the right tires on the vehicle - be it AWD or 4WD - 26 and 35 would fair FAR better.
    This.

It's only about 15 miles or so of fairly treacherous stuff ... the risk/reward is very poor, and not to mention what you are doing to others on the road. Bad vibe.

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
    I drove 35/26 for 25 years in trucks. Your not in Kansas.
    that is not a job i would want, mostly because of everybody else.

yeah, i'm not in kansas, but i'm also not in the ditch or in somebody's grill or in the hospital. and i'm rarely the slowest person coming down.

in other news...

"High winds have Star/Heather/Cascade/Vista on standby."

and the future looks pretty dry for a while...

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts...adows/6day/mid

Skeet Bowl or Ghetto's tonight? That is the question.
    Training for Alpental

Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post
    that is not a job i would want, mostly because of everybody else.

yeah, i'm not in kansas, but i'm also not in the ditch or in somebody's grill or in the hospital. and i'm rarely the slowest person coming down.

in other news...

"High winds have Star/Heather/Cascade/Vista on standby."

and the future looks pretty dry for a while...

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts...adows/6day/mid
    I commend you on being a mature/safe driver spook. Moving along just got off the mt. It's a raging blizzard up there and the Snow is balls deep. Even race teams were free skiing. Soon the holidays will be over.......
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

i miss the days off blowing off ski team training for free runs, when you have to boot pack powder to ski gates it crushes your soul... the coach would eventually cave when he couldnt resist the urge anymore haha

beta on skibowl coverage?
    friends finally got their shit together so tomorrow night let the shenanigans begin

Holy. Shit.

That was epics. Soooo much snow up there today. Too bad the HRM liftline was like 30min long

Quote Originally Posted by forty View Post
    i miss the days off blowing off ski team training for free runs, when you have to boot pack powder to ski gates it crushes your soul... the coach would eventually cave when he couldnt resist the urge anymore haha

beta on skibowl coverage?
    friends finally got their shit together so tomorrow night let the shenanigans begin
    When you're really lucky, it's just too deep to even set gates. At that point, we just left them at the bottom of the lift. Good times!

anyone going up tonight? ghetto thinking but could be talked in to snowbowls. I've got room in the sled.

going up tomorrow afternoon after a shortened work day.
    you maggots better save me some fresh

meadows @ night sux - skibowl ftw

drive up: traffic
    drive down: even worse traffic
    snow: pretty good for oregon
    depth: very fun

putting in drops in the trees....and not seeing anyone else around in there $$$

Quote Originally Posted by astralboy15 View Post
    drive up: traffic
    drive down: even worse traffic
    snow: pretty good for oregon
    depth: very fun

putting in drops in the trees....and not seeing anyone else around in there $$$
    Today was amazing, despite the occasional lift line. If you could get out of the wind exposed area, there were plenty of deep, untracked deposits for all. Especially with a little hiking. Good vibes, big smiles, from fellow PRers.

hope i didn't sound like i was complaining, because you're right, it was a great day!

on a side note, for that one second when i though "i should just go home through hood river..." really wish i did. from meadows to DQ 1hr....

Im glad most of you skipped SkiBowl today. So happy to be back in Oregon for the holidays.
    another Handsome Boy graduate

spook Guest
    saw a tgr sticker on the back of a toyota 4runner i think at carr subaru this afternoon...

Lost Snowboarders on Hood

Clackamas County searchers were looking Wednesday afternoon for three snowboarders who took the chair lift to the top of Mt. Hood's Ski Bowl and got lost on the east side of the ski area.

Dispatchers said the three men in their 20s were in cell contact with rescuers after they snowboarded out of bounds.

Detective Jim Strovink said they were expected to be found within a couple of hours.

http://www.kgw.com/news/Search-on-fo...112634024.html

Fri

My money's on friday, guessing cascade may open in the afternoon tomorrow. Despite the mayhem I'm going to head up from white salmon on fri.

Chartreuse jacket, green helmet, probably be on some ugly ass 9thwards if heather doesn't get shredded tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfield View Post
    Holy. Shit.

That was epics. Soooo much snow up there today. Too bad the HRM liftline was like 30min long
    Indeed. Off the hook. Dumping all day. Tomorrow will be good.

MHM was amazing today, even with SS and Heather closed and visibility somewhat limited. I was finding knee-deep fresh in all of my usual super secret stashes that tenB doesn't know about. Everything kept filling back in, so my wee-wee tingled on every run. Still puking when I left at 2PM.

FWIW - The 'trollers I know there tell me it's unlikely Lower Heather and PR will open Thursday - just too much assessment and AC work required, especially with the wet, heavy stuff from Monday/Tuesday. They also said there is some huge avi loading in Upper Heather that they have to deal with but can't until the weather clears a little.

If you go tomorrow, get your ass to o-ring and rock garden first thing for what should be some killer fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by telebobski View Post

FWIW - The 'trollers I know there tell me it's unlikely Lower Heather and PR will open Thursday - just too much assessment and AC work required, especially with the wet, heavy stuff from Monday/Tuesday. They also said there is some huge avi loading in Upper Heather that they have to deal with but can't until the weather clears a little..
    Interesting. Even though they opened it today, they won't tomorrow? Not that it matters much to me because I have to fucking pickup my friends at the airport tomorrow at noon

(i will be sneaking in a couple of quick laps on my way to the airport...it makes tons of sense to drive from hood river to PDX via Mt. Hood Meadows. Right? Right? )

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinfield View Post
    Interesting. Even though they opened it today, they won't tomorrow? Not that it matters much to me because I have to fucking pickup my friends at the airport tomorrow at noon

(i will be sneaking in a couple of quick laps on my way to the airport...it makes tons of sense to drive from hood river to PDX via Mt. Hood Meadows. Right? Right? )
    i thought they didn't open heather today.

I was referring more to PR. The gates to Elk/Yoda and PR were both open when I was there. The meadow below Elk/Yoda was deep as shit. Oops, I just outed another secret stash.

^^When did you see the PR gates open? They weren't when I went by ~10:30-11, and two different 'trollers earlier said nope to opening it. I imagine Elk & Yoda is stupid deep given the snow & winds in this storm. I'm amazed patrol opened it. The runout to HRM must have been a slog