Page 6 of 40 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by PhiberAwptik View Post
    My biggest pet peeve honestly is the cocksucker who feels like they have to pass every car on the road that isn't doing 50. The pulling in and parking right next to said cocksucker who was in such a hurry. And STILL ending up 4 chairs in front of them at opening. I don't get it.
    i agree completely. put everybody at risk to get their 3 cars earlier.

spook Guest
    love this from meadows when telemetry says 33 degrees at base and several cams show rain:

"It is absolutely dumping snow up here and piling up fast with light to moderate wind. This is the storm you've been waiting for! Come get it!"

Yeah, saw that and elected to stay in bed with a good book instead. I don't have any rain gear out here right now and I can't imagine 12" of super heavy, wet snow is that spectacular.

Great base building conditions I think is what one says at this point...

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by puma View Post
    Great base building conditions I think is what one says at this point...
    yeah, tomorrow should be great if temps drop

Car fire was the only decent part to being up there today. Snow was shit, lots of people. Only managed to ride until 1130 when we couldn't take it anymore. Here's some pics of the fire. Sorry for the shitty pics, but it's better then nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiberAwptik View Post
    My biggest pet peeve honestly is the cocksucker who feels like they have to pass every car on the road that isn't doing 50.
    I agree if said cocksucker is passing in an unsafe or illegal manner. However, I always pass several cars going 30-40 mph on the way up. It's not to get there sooner, it's to avoid getting sprayed with rock for 20 miles. If I pass in a legal and safe manner, am I a cocksucker?

Quote Originally Posted by SgtSkidmark View Post
    I agree if said cocksucker is passing in an unsafe or illegal manner. However, I always pass several cars going 30-40 mph on the way up. It's not to get there sooner, it's to avoid getting sprayed with rock for 20 miles. If I pass in a legal and safe manner, am I a cocksucker?
    Or passing them b/c chances are they are the cocksucker that is going to be the one to cause an accident. So far I've had 5 idiots cause crashes in front of me.

Quote Originally Posted by SgtSkidmark View Post
    totally agree with you. i'd rather not have rocks hitting me for no reason. also, passing just makes you feel like you get their sooner...even when the car you pass parks directly next to you. passing in a legal area makes no one a douche.

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by astralboy15 View Post
    totally agree with you. i'd rather not have rocks hitting me for no reason. also, passing just makes you feel like you get their sooner...even when the car you pass parks directly next to you. passing in a legal area makes no one a douche.
    of course, the other alternative is to slow down to avoid getting hit by rocks. i may be in a hurry to change and get on the lift, but i'm never in a hurry on the road once i hit snow. i've seen too many idiots who obviously don't give a shit about anybody around them.

Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post
    of course, the other alternative is to slow down to avoid getting hit by rocks. i may be in a hurry to change and get on the lift, but i'm never in a hurry on the road once i hit snow. i've seen too many idiots who obviously don't give a shit about anybody around them.
    Be careful spook. Could be you soon as I see you're eyeballing a Subaru. 95% of the time its a Subaru who thinks they're Dick Trickle and flings a rock at me on a sketchy pass.

Turns were actually okay, still a disappointment from what I thought it was going to be. Arrived close 9 and the fire had already closed the access road. HRM parking lot was rain, but it was a tolerable mix at the bottom of express at least for a half day for me.

Saw some sicko bust a real nice lincoln loop on the haystack roller which has a pretty natural take off point. Was that a mag?

edit: it was Cole Trickle in days of thunder, but dick works for this reference.

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    Be careful spook. Could be you soon as I see you're eyeballing a Subaru. 95% of the time its a Subaru who thinks they're Dick Trickle and flings a rock at me on a sketchy pass.

Turns were actually okay, still a disappointment from what I thought it was going to be. Arrived close 9 and the fire had already closed the access road. HRM parking lot was rain, but it was a tolerable mix at the bottom of express at least for a half day for me.

Saw some sicko bust a real nice lincoln loop on the haystack roller which has a pretty natural take off point. Was that a mag?
    haha. i already have a subie, but somebody tboned my honda downtown, so i need a replacement. but your point is well taken and regularly observed. i hardly ever pass anybody unless i conclude that that person is a bigger danger in front of me than behind me and i can get past with little to no risk. or, like i said, i frequently just back off and "suffer" for that whole 8 miles or whatever to get to meadows.

To be clear, I hate the jackass who blows by a line of cars 8 miles before the lot too. I'm not that guy. I drive a Subie with studs and I'm a big pussy when it comes to risk calculation (that's what happens after 12 years in the insurance field). I only pass when there's ample room and the car in front of me is tracking straight. If we're close to the lot or the car in front is sliding around, I back off and chill out.

On another note, looks like it's going to get COLD and we'll have a great weekend. Does Ullr control temperature or just precip?

Oh, and Dick Trickle was a real race car driver. Rubbin's Racin'!

Orange jacket? Chances are riding rocker 2's it was tommy ellingson who is from HR and rides for salomon. It's his go to tick... off everything.

Agree w/ the tailgaters/passers, major aholes. Another common site is the nimrod that forgets there are lanes even when it's snow covered. I prefer a more reserved statues while driving and use my skills on the hill. It's going to be good the rest of the week.
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

Conditions were wet but I don't think it rained at the main lodge between 8 and 1. Sure beat the two days of rain we had a few weekends ago. HRM looked to be pure rain.

Snow was like cream cheese, but still fun. Drying out tonight in prep for the next few days.

Missed the car fire by a few hours. What usually causes that kind of thing? Looks like everyone was ok.

Drive the speed limit or expect to be passed.

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post

Drive the speed limit or expect to be passed.
    i'm almost never above 40mph on the way down if there's snow on the ground.

edit: until i get off 35 in particular

Missed the car fire by a few hours. What usually causes that kind of thing? Looks like everyone was ok.
    Oil + engine block = potential very bad time or electrical problem b/c it was a newer volvo

Yeah, suspect was wearing orange jacket. Looked like he had that trick dialed.

Agree with you Grizz, the snow was pretty good, just wish I had some waterproof/fishing gear for today. Used to have some yellow waterproof bibs, but they lacked gaiters. Will be testing the waters tomorrow. No whammies

Yeah, suspect was wearing orange jacket. Looked like he had that trick dialed.

Agree with you Grizz, the snow was pretty good, just wish I had some waterproof/fishing gear for today. Used to have some yellow waterproof bibs, but they lacked gaiters. Will be testing the waters tomorrow. No whammies
    It looks a bit odd, but a kayaking drytop over Grundens bibs works great.

i'm almost never above 40mph on the way down if there's snow on the ground.

edit: until i get off 35 in particular
    Do you falling leaf 4 bowl?

Please have the courtesy to take 26 home with your flatlander brethren.
    Last edited by Grizz; 12-28-2010 at 07:23 PM.

Wet, Wet, WET...but fun still. I waitied until noon to arrive...all snow at main lot, lower was slushy slush slush, top was margarine, not butter. It snowed, kinda - visbility was fanstatic...so a typical pow day in the PNW during el nino not the girl.

Tomorrow, please! temps need to drop drastically.

spook Guest
    Do you falling leaf 4 bowl?

Please have the courtesy to take 26 home with your flatlander brethren.
    i do not falling leaf 4 bowl because i won't kill or paralyze anybody else or lose tens of thousands of dollars if i eat it. i believe a number of those curves down to 26 are recommended 35mph when it's dry. i've seen a lot of people slip and slide at far less than the speed limit. it's just not worth it to me. i pull over every time i get to that parking lot just before white river to let people pass.

i rarely go through hood river, though, so you're golden.

edit: just to clarify, i hit the guardrail just past silent rock (iirc) on the way to meadows as a passenger. driver tried to pass uphill in inside lane, started sliding sideways at 40+mph across the outside lane, hit the guardrail with me looking straight down that lovely valley. bounced off the guardrail and kept on going. in a lot of traffic.

uphill on packed snow. i take it easy on my way down.
    Last edited by spook; 12-28-2010 at 10:51 PM.

I drove 35/26 for 25 years in trucks. Your not in Kansas.
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363