Page 10 of 40 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Oh jeez. Like the lifties can control when they manstruate.

Quote Originally Posted by noparking View Post
    Tonight was/is a total shit show at the bowl. Lifties were acting like it was that time of the month and on a total power trip. Only 2 more days until things calm down, couldn't come any sooner.
    glad i'm not the only one who thought that.."did I say it was your turn to load?!" got in my face. I just skied on to the chair. not going to argue with a 50 year old liftie

sunday tour

Any mags up for a sunday tour?

Good stuff to be found up there still, just have to go find it.

PeeArr from afar:

Adjacent canyons:

nice shots ^ . I was up at ski bowl last night and the wind was howling. How it affect the snow up high? and do you mind telling me where those pictures were taken?

That first shot is a really cool perspective on PR. I need to get a touring setup....

Quote Originally Posted by benk View Post
    nice shots ^ . I was up at ski bowl last night and the wind was howling. How it affect the snow up high? and do you mind telling me where those pictures were taken?
    Looks like E of the cat track runout

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bio-smear View Post

PeeArr from afar:
    gorgeous

looks like some fine lines on gnarl right now. Tough to put in the effort to get there when the conditions are good. I miss some of the b.c. at Hood but do not miss the mass of humanity in the Heather/Newton drainages.

Quote Originally Posted by bio-smear View Post

P
    I just completed my AT set up. Anyone interested in taking a bc jong out for a little education it would be appreciated. I can get down in all sorts of conditions, and have the energy to get up, just no avy/trail/route experience.

^ shoot me a PM. I'm going to the Wallowas for a week but will be back and touring around hood for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Julius View Post
    looks like some fine lines on gnarl right now.
    Gnarl is....gnarl. Have to get up pretty early to get at that, but it looked nice.

Anyone know what made 26 such a shit show today? this is 2 weekends in a row of the long jog through Hood River....

Quote Originally Posted by drdevon View Post
    Anyone know what made 26 such a shit show today? this is 2 weekends in a row of the long jog through Hood River....
    You didn't catch the memo? Skiing and snowboarding are the new cool things to do so everyone and their fucking brother were at the mtn this weekend. I can only hope things slow wayyy down this next week.

Drive was a bit stressful with the stop n go. I was thinking chain removal, but started opening up right past Govy.

Here’s a little something from today. Had a good time. Missed the last few sunny days and the tracks everywhere looked fun

[ame="http://vimeo.com/18382914"]Untitled on Vimeo[/ame]

It's gotten so bad I am thinking of a couple midweek trips - say Tues-Thurs - this month after it dumps again. Although I am glad a lot of people bought lift tickets and funded Meadows, Ski Bowl and Timberline, the drive to Portland is getting a little nuts on Sunday night.

Quote Originally Posted by drdevon View Post
    It's gotten so bad I am thinking of a couple midweek trips - say Tues-Thurs - this month after it dumps again. Although I am glad a lot of people bought lift tickets and funded Meadows, Ski Bowl and Timberline, the drive to Portland is getting a little nuts on Sunday night.
    I guess anythings better than the holiday/weekends but mid week dumps aren't like they used to be. All the cheap passes guarantee lift lines mid week if it's a pow day.

My least crowded pow days the last few years have fit two scenarios.

A) Tons of snow overnight, so it's a shit show till noon when everyone leaves. Then it starts dumping again for untracked lines till closing.

B) No fresh overnight is listed on the 6:00 am snowreport so everyone goes to work or back to bed. Snow starts dumping at 6:30 and continues to all day leaving great conditions for the few folks who decide to show up.

Sunday Tour

This thread needs some pics .....Headed up wr drainage for some easy touring, the parking lot was a madhouse when we made it back down. Sledders were shredding it up.

Fun looking terrain across from our tour

Dropping in on my touring toothpicks

^^^^

I gotta get me some of that...when I get back. I heading for a solid inversion in SLC this weekend, kick ass year and I hit the high pressure as usual, then Chicago next week for some more pollution.

I'm PM you BC mags, if you're willing to have a rookie tag along.

Thanks,

played hookie yesterday because it was so goddam nice out
    not pow, but bluebird - a rare treat in the PNW!
    looking up in heather yesterday

checking in.

I figured I'd (re)introduce myself. I left Utah last fall, I'm now running the rental shop at t-line. I definitely looking for some ski partners that will help me explore hood. I have a pass at t-line and ski bowl and can usually get a pass at meadows on a days notice.

Duker - I have never skied either T-Line or Ski Bowl ... so we may be able to trade a bit

i'm used to checking NWAC, but, seing that the NWS has identified an avi warning, and having just been in heather this week, my question is: are any of you carrying a beacon in heather? i never have and i suspect most do not...just wondering

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    i'm used to checking NWAC, but, seing that the NWS has identified an avi warning, and having just been in heather this week, my question is: are any of you carrying a beacon in heather? i never have and i suspect most do not...just wondering
    i haven't and was planning on waiting until i got a splitboard and started getting ready for bc, but after the avalanche in heather last season, i'd like to get it sooner. i just can't afford it right now.

There isn't any gear that would have helped with that slide last year in heather besides a personal helicopter.

They've had patrollers stationed to check for gear at PR gates before, when it first opens for the season. We were the only ones I saw with gear and stopped carrying it.

When I lived at squaw a lot of locals would beep inbounds on storm days. See it at snowbird, jackson, etc. Patrollers will always scan a slide area for a beacon signal before going for Recco, which if you don't have an avalung, is probably just body recovery.

If you're not getting everything, I think an avalung or airbag would be a better investment.

When I don't trust the snowpack inbounds, I just stay in the trees, Jack's, PR,...

Or ski fast.