mounting obseth and S7: how far back?

this years obseth 189, and S7, 188: I won't be skiing backwards, and they are for mostly pow/crud. On the farthest back line? or a bit ahead of that?

On his bc.com review of his own skis, Seth says he skis at +4 with a 25 boot.

I put my s7 -1 and had an amazing pow day this past weekend in breck. I also don't ski switch much either. I would say 0 to -2 would be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotoad View Post
    On his bc.com review of his own skis, Seth says he skis at +4 with a 25 boot.
    Wow! So helpful.

^^^ not sure if you're being sarcastic or not but I thought it might be kinda helpful.
    Here's what he says in response to "I always heard that you skied at plus 4, but never really believed it. Why so far forward? (and don't say for skiing switch)":

"When you have a ski with rocker it makes more sense to be centered in the rocker itself. I have a small boot 25. so plus 4 may not be where you want to be with a larger boot. You will find having more tail with rocker helps when landing back seat. It makes the ski, ski that much better."

The Obsethed actually has a petty complicated shape - so I'm not sure any simple rule of placement wrt to camber or sidecut plays. I've got about a dozen days in a range of conditions including powder on 'em at +4 (189s). I like them there. A tech I trust has told me he might refuse to mount them behind +3 (not that he's opinionated or anything).

For normal use on the Obsethed, I'd guess most folks will be happy at either +3 or +4.

As usual, worth what you paid for it.

S7 +3 unless mark has changed from the original black buttoned leather green base hot rod.

There's a thread somewhere where this was the consensus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Here is the relevant thread: [ame="http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144515"]S7 Mounting Point? - Teton Gravity Research Forums[/ame]

Important part:
    So here's the official word on mounting S7's:

Take these measurements from the tail of the ski toward the tip. Keep the measuring tape tight & straight.

This is what the 0 mark should measure:
    195 length = 89.3 cm
    188 length = 86 cm
    176 length = 80.4 cm
    166 length = 78 cm

If you never ski switch, or only rarely, mount your binding back -2 cm's:
    195 length = 87.3 cm
    188 length = 84 cm
    176 length = 78.4 cm
    166 length = 76 cm

If you ski switch in Powder, mount your binding forward +3:
    195 length = 92.3 cm
    188 length = 89 cm
    176 length = 83.4 cm
    166 length = 81 cm

About mount line changes from year to year:
    The original prototype had a different mount line compared to the production version. So if any of you have a rep's demo, athlete's ski or were able to get a pre release hookup from Rossi (Jan 2008 to end of season) the 0 mark on that ski was at -2. For example:
    0 mark for prototype S7 in 188 length = 84 cm
    0 mark for production S7 in 188 length = 86 cm

I've had a demo binding on 188 S7's from Jan 2008 to today. With a demo binding you can try both mounts and 8 times out of 10 people like 84 cm.

I should also add that I was on my 188 S7s at 0, and really liked them. Ive since moved up a bit as I went from a 317 BSL boot to a 305. I havent gotten them out in anything deep, but Im a little less comfortable driving them hard mounted forward. Im gonna give them a few days in the conditions they are made for, but might consider a re-mount.

+2.25 cm on the 188 S7 from last season (the purple/black ones). $$$$$
    ROBOTS ARE EATING MY FACE.

Here is the Rossignol Tech Bulletin. I ended up at +1.5 due to swiss cheese and have been very happy with them.

189 Obsethed at +2 and my bsl is 319.

So far ... (skied one day) and I'm really happy with them.

When standing on them I did feel forward (like there wasn't much tip in front of me) but these are my first pair of rockers.

Skiing backwards wasn't a problem with this mount either.
    Smoke'em If You Got'em

OK, S7's at -1 (85cm)
    obseth... thinking +3 to +4

funny how the rossi scale is -2 to +4 and the K2 scale is 0 to +7.

thanks,

With everyone skiing the mounting points so far forward these days - if this is how the ski is intended to be skied, why not just make that the manufacturer's mounting point?

S7 Mount

Mounted S7 188 at 0 mark (86cm). Hit the two day peak of the PNW storm at Mt. Hood last week. Loved the ski and the mount position!

i would say 0 also (86 cm) on the s7. I had them at +3 then had to move them back. found i was going over the bars often at +3 they are much better all around at 0.

My 189 obSETHed w/ NTN can move from 0 to +2 and I like +2 the best. My next pair I'll probably mount from +2 to +4 and see how that goes.

FWIW I face forwards 99.9% of the time I am skiing.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

I had S7 at 0 last year and liked it. I'd be interested to try +1 as they felt like a lot of tip and not a lot of tail but that may be more dims than mount point. I definitely don't think farther back than the 0 would be advantageous.

I've got the S7 at 0cm. Happy.
    Living vicariously through myself.

You could mount s7s direct to your feet with lag screws and they'd ski awesome regardless of mount point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........