If you were skiing a 16,000 foot volcano...

In the Wrangles What kind of setup would have?

I'm thinking my Bro/Freeride setup might not be the best, the skis might be great but the freerides being plastic might not be great for a really cold extended trip. What about boots though? Obviously I'll be in AT boots probably with intuition liners. I'd need some overboots and gaiters that fit over ski boots I suppose.

It would be nice to get gear that could eventually be used to ski a certain larger mountain in my backyard

Thoughts?
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

I skied Drum in February. Asolo Summits, Evolution Black Powders. If I was going now it would be Manaslus and Megarides. Some how I doubt you plan to do this in winter. Any gear works it is a matter of being familiar with what you have.
    off your knees Louie

Actually, Manaslus and Megarides (or some other equally light boot) sounds like the ticket.
    "Buy the Fucking Plane Tickets!"
    -- Jack Tackle

Given the frequency of long brutal storms there, you might first focus on having an awesome tent that you want spend LOTS of time in.

I'm on a whisky posting roll tonight!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    If you were skiing a 16,000 foot volcano In the Wrangles What kind of setup would have?
    I wouldn't ski a 16,000 foot volcano in Wranglers. Maybe in Levi's, but that's probably still pushing it a bit.

PM iceman, I hear he's good with denim.

I'm mostly worried about bindings... I feel like freerides have the potential to break pretty easy with tough field fixes

If you use Dynafits you could carry a whole spare binding if you were really worried about failure and still only be carrying an extra 700g.

As for boots, I'm not saying I personally recommend this (because I haven't done it), but I've read that for very long and possibly very cold trips, some people go a shell-size up in boot so they can wear more socks if they need to keep feet warm. Obviously your performance fit will be affected.

Oh, I'd say Dynafits FTW:

AKPM I think you missed my point. Before you go off to climb something like this you should have done enough trips to know your gear. My point I was trying to make about the skis is. I only ski one pair of skis. I ski them al the time. When I want to do a trip I know what to expect from my gear. That said things do go wrong and you should have some type of repair kit.
    off your knees Louie

yeah I think I'm set on skis... its just the bindings I worry about. I like the idea of bringing an etire extra dynafit binding

One issue I've had with my dynafits when it's cold is ice build-up in the recesses on my boots... I also never feel totally sure I'm clicked in at the toe-piece. I guess I like how light they are, but have never felt really confident on them if there's any exposure at all...

If it's super cold, not sure if you have any other good choices, but if you're going to rip, I'd definitely try and find something more alpine-like.
    imz-design
    industrial design • new product development
    http://www.imz-design.com/