Thumbs up Review: The :fmicons:- 200cm Lotus 120

Do not have time for a full-blown review as I need to get some work done. However, just want to point out a few things:

1. Cannot believe how easy this ski is to turn
    2. Cannot believe how easy this ski is to turn give how stable and wide the platform
    3. Mind = blown into gazillion pieces
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

Nice, can't wait to get on mine.

so you're saying that if anyone has questions about the 200cm lotus 120, we can honestly reply with PM Rontele?
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

So, I have to admit that I was pretty scared to try this out. The last time I skied on a 200+cm ski was 1998 when I had a great pair of Atomic ARC GS race room skis. My things have changed. I brought them out to Berthoud yesterday to try them on some fresh, albeit slightly wind affected pow. Initial thoughts is that with Dynafit Vertical STs, they are still an exceptionally light touring set-up and skinned very well for their size (kick turns were a bit of a challenge).

Once the top, however, these things really shined. I could not believe how easy they are to turn. The side-to-side movement and edge engagement is incredible and coupled with a long and wide platform, they floated through the fresh and sometimes variable snow conditions. Arcing nice GS turns in the powder was effortless and left me smiling from ear-to-ear. The turning radius is large, but not out-of-control for a ski that big. Glad I went with the Flex 2 as it feels nice and uniform throughout the ski, without feeling too planky.

inevitable question

Since there is not much DPS for me to demo on the west slope (CO), are you ready for the inevitable question? How do you compare the ride on the Lotus 120 to the 112 RP which I guess you recently skied as well?

Quote Originally Posted by neige777 View Post
    Since there is not much DPS for me to demo on the west slope (CO), are you ready for the inevitable question? How do you compare the ride on the Lotus 120 to the 112 RP which I guess you recently skied as well?
    Good question. The 112 is inevitably a bit more playful and fun. The rocker helps it smear turns a bit better and the shorter length and rocker helps it pop from turn-to-turn. The 120 is a flat ski (no camber) that glides effortlessly over soft snow. Turn engagement is similar on the two skis.

My thought is that if you want a dedicated powder ski = 120; if you want a quiver of one and a bit more versatile of ski = 112.

I rode these on a pow day at snowbird a couple of weeks ago and was also surprised at how easy they were to ski in the resort. Remarkable for their size.
    Also you're the coolest person in the tramline with these

Quote Originally Posted by Rontele View Post

My thought is that if you want a dedicated powder ski = 120; if you want a quiver of one and a bit more versatile of ski = 112.
    Ya, this is spot on (own both).

I've also dialed in the L120 and am now able to give'r in more conditions than I previously thought possible. It requires a bit more aggressive weighting than I'm used to (you need to drive the 120 or it will drive you). The 112RP is a bit more relaxed.

The W105 is also a beautiful ride, a delicate carver that just bombs it and floats incredibly well, and for me, the ultimate backcountry ski for most missions requiring a decent amount of distance and up yet still focused on the pow. The W105 also holds a reliable edge in the steep.

I hope to add L138s to the quiver. Those things are a whole other level of shape and speed in the deep.
    == | slacktopia | ==
    http://twitch.tv/fugitivephilo
    still bangin' beats

adam is offline The Shred Pirate Roberts
    I'm curious - where did you mount them?

Quote Originally Posted by adam View Post
    I'm curious - where did you mount them?
    Ask Marshal, but looks like midsole line on the dot.

adam is offline The Shred Pirate Roberts
    That is strange, i'm on a pair of 187 xxls mounted on the line and I find them only slightly harder to ski in the trees than my 190 120's mounted on the line from last year.

i have the bamboo sidewall lotus 120 200s from a couple of years ago. Nominally flex 2, but supposedly this pair was a bit stiffer than that...'call it 2.5' the rep said.

pretty easy to ski IME. just pressure the tongues w/ your shins and it's all good. there are other skis i prefer in powder but all of them are heavier than the approx 8.2 lb lotus 120s. an insanely good BC ski.

like the poster above, i dig my F3 W105s but i think it is and was a fail by DPS not to offer those in a proper length. The 188 does OK since i only use it for backcountry skiing with a mellow boot, but this ski begs to be offered in a 195. the combo of the tip shape and rise, and the stiffish flex, means it planes very well in heavyish powder...skis almost as well as skis that are fatter.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    i have the bamboo sidewall lotus 120 200s from a couple of years ago. Nominally flex 2, but supposedly this pair was a bit stiffer than that...'call it 2.5' the rep said.
    I should add that these are the 08/09 Flex 2 200cm 120s.

Quote Originally Posted by Rontele View Post
    Ask Marshal, but looks like midsole line on the dot.
    i mounted these +1 for rontele.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    this ski [the W105] begs to be offered in a 195. the combo of the tip shape and rise, and the stiffish flex, means it planes very well in heavyish powder...skis almost as well as skis that are fatter.
    Agreed. I find the W105 performs amazingly well as a backcountry ski. It kills and planes very well in West Coast mank. It's stiff as noted and solid on the landings. I like.

I personally wouldn't want it longer than 188, but hey, there's a vote for a 195...
    == | slacktopia | ==
    http://twitch.tv/fugitivephilo
    still bangin' beats