Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sun Valley ID: 75 Years of Movie Stars and Ankle Deep Powder

You haven't heard? This place is old...

75 years of skiing in this silly little town hidden in an Idaho weather eddy. 75 years of skiing.

I read about some teenagers that were lost at see for 40 days, with very little food or water. The captain of the ship who found them gave the starving boys gatorade, and told them to first swirl it in their mouths and then spit it out. Next he gave them tablespoon-fulls to swallow, and then a little while later entire cupfulls. The point is, you can't give a starving person a Big Mac. It is too sudden, too much of a shock to the system. You start with little bites.

This is the story we teach our school children here in Sun Valley. Too much snow all at once is bad for you. Small doses, build your way up to the big feast. That way they don't leave town as soon as they learn to use the internet and realize how much it fucking snows in the Wasatch.

Anyways, its pretty cool here. At least there's good people. 75 years of skiers starts to add up. And it does snow big every once in a while.

It has been a solid start to the season. The parade of 5" storms is adding up. We're already skiing southslopes; it has been a long time since that happened in December.

Tomorrow, Day 1 in the Bowls:

maybe all those good people need to own a piece of Sun Valley history/
    http://www.vintagesnow.net/Original-...chairlift1.htm
    off your knees Louie

Nice. We'll be up there for New Years playing at Whiskey's. Maybe I'll bring my skis and try out some ankledeep. FWIW, it may not snow up there like it does in the Wasatch, but you people know how to party, and the cocktails are freepour.

Coming from an Idaho local, Sun Valley is a fucking joke. $80+ for a full day, only to skate down bulletproof, iced over groomers? No thanks.
    I'll save my pennies for mountains that don't celebrate a 5" storm like it's the second fucking coming.
    But, it's always fun to head to Whiskeys for brews and listen to all the "bros" talk about how epic it was, and how "it was sooooo much deeper in the trees today".
    Riiight.
    /blog.

Fats-

Nice shots Sol. And nice turns in the bowls today.
    A joke indeed...I'm still laughing.

spent the winter of 92-93 in ketchum - one of the best years in my life! coming from the wasatch the snow was different but fun - the around town stuff was way better than here in utah.

Hart is offline Perfecting my Wong Banger
    What happened Big City, did you get your ass kicked up here in high school or something?
    I fucking love skiing

i have family in hailey.. i've always had good luck with snow, and yes it is deeper in the trees off the backside.

What's wrong fat head? We got some good skiing going and you gotta bring the anti-stoke??

I guess a haterz got to hate.

Nice try trollholio. Cuz no one else charges anything like $80 and the skiing always sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by skuba View Post
    you can let it free and be as stupid as possible

Thread Killer
    I would like to see your point of view but I can't get my head that far up your ass.

The Board of Powder and Tourism has given full approval to this area for people skiing in Demetri sweaters.

Nice pics and I def get the perspective on SV having only skied there for 1 week. Sadly, it took me until the last day to find the "trees on the backside." Rarely have Ullr and Loki collaborated so well.
    "We need sometimes to escape into open solitudes, into aimlessness, into the moral holiday of running some pure hazard, in order to sharpen the edge of life, to taste hardship, and to be compelled to work desperately for a moment at no matter what. -George Santayana, The Philosophy of Travel

...it would probably bother me more if I wasn't quite so heavily sedated. -David St. Hubbins, This Is Spinal Tap

I can certainly relate to this thread as my home mountain, Sun Peaks, B.C. gets similar weather with about 18 feet in a 18 to 20 week season. It gets more annual snowfall than Lake Louise and it is just enough as most of the competition for powder ski Whistler or the Kootnays in B.C. It helps to have very, very dry snow and a very, very slow Burfield chair that rises 2900 vertical feet in 22 minutes, has mostly black and double black runs and is rarly used by the tourists and "new" locals.

SP also has some side country that gets the most snow, is rarely wind blown, and never foggy and it never gets skied out mid-week.

I think I will check out SV this year or next as it may have a home like feel for me.

BTW even the resorts that get 30 feet annually still usually have more non powder days than pow days or are often skied off after 2 runs on a powder day. Also if you are skiing 6 or 7 days per week, then how a mountain skis between storms becomes important. Example: Red Mountain has some of the best tree skiing in Canada, but once it is cut up in the trees the other options are a couple steep runs and not a whole lot of variety and no locals in sight until it dumps.

Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
    BTW even the resorts that get 30 feet annually still usually have more non powder days than pow days or are often skied off after 2 runs on a powder day. Also if you are skiing 6 or 7 days per week, then how a mountain skis between storms becomes important. Example: Red Mountain has some of the best tree skiing in Canada, but once it is cut up in the trees the other options are a couple steep runs and not a whole lot of variety and no locals in sight until it dumps.
    Heh, Red Mtn, cut up in the trees, not a whole lot of variety, I like that. Yeah, move along, nothing to see here...
    "We need sometimes to escape into open solitudes, into aimlessness, into the moral holiday of running some pure hazard, in order to sharpen the edge of life, to taste hardship, and to be compelled to work desperately for a moment at no matter what. -George Santayana, The Philosophy of Travel

...it would probably bother me more if I wasn't quite so heavily sedated. -David St. Hubbins, This Is Spinal Tap

Hey Hurl, do the Red locals still leave their skis/pack in the lift line to reserve a spot on pow days, and then go for breakfast? I always thought that practice was sort of quaint.

Haven't seen that lately. Things are a little screwed up since they put in that stupid Silverlode Chair. You need to find a friendly local when you make your trip to show you the real stashes

Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post

BTW even the resorts that get 30 feet annually still usually have more non powder days than pow days or are often skied off after 2 runs on a powder day. Also if you are skiing 6 or 7 days per week, then how a mountain skis between storms becomes important.
    So true. The Seattle Ridge effect not only reduces pass holder participation due to "horrific visibility" when there is a whiff of weather, but on blue bird powder days it sucks those same participants over to the perfectly manicured slopes of SR. This leaves the entire remaining portion of the mountain to the rest of us- allowing for an all-you-can-eat powder buffet with no wait at the chair. The slack country rarely gets skied until days later. If, there is such a year as to provide above average snowpack, the south slopes then provide terrain that we usually have to travel south to the Wasatch for.
    Here's to hoping that this 75 season is one of those years...

How bout you guys start a Sun Peaks thread so U don't cunt up this Sun Valley one any further?

Thanks
    "People ask us to take them skiing, and I'm like, 'REALLY'? I mean if you want to get in an avalanche or just die somehow, then, YEAH, come with US!" - Nathan Wallace

Quote Originally Posted by Fat City View Post
    Coming from an Idaho local, Sun Valley is a fucking joke. $80+ for a full day, only to skate down bulletproof, iced over groomers? No thanks.
    I'll save my pennies for mountains that don't celebrate a 5" storm like it's the second fucking coming.
    But, it's always fun to head to Whiskeys for brews and listen to all the "bros" talk about how epic it was, and how "it was sooooo much deeper in the trees today".
    Riiight.
    /blog.

Fats-
    You must be fun to party with.

Nope, we don't get hammered like the Satch or Silverton or Baker, etc. But when we do, it's fresh tracks all day, without lift lines or cockbots like yourself douchin' it up, talking about how much better your mountain is. Yeah, our locals get stoked on 12" days. So what? Too much positive vibe making it hard for you to hate on people at Whiskey's?

Go home, barno.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    You must be fun to party with.

Nope, we don't get hammered like the Satch or Silverton or Baker, etc. But when we do, it's fresh tracks all day, without lift lines or cockbots like yourself douchin' it up, talking about how much better your mountain is. Yeah, our locals get stoked on 12" days. So what? Too much positive vibe making it hard for you to hate on people at Whiskey's?

Go home, barno.

Gee golly, Rev. I sure didn't mean to hurt your feelers. God forbid anyone say anything bad about the mighty Sun Valley!
    The truth hurts. Having been up there more than enough to know, sure, SV gets good days. So does the burm in my fucking front yard. So what? Truth is, SV is a crusted over icefest most of the time, and is infested with Bogner wearing, G-wagon driving elitists that hemorhage money at the chance to race up Warm Springs and "ski" a 5" storm.

Get over yourself. Hit me up when your bowls are rideable, which should be sometime by March.

Gee golly, Rev. I sure didn't mean to hurt your feelers. God forbid anyone say anything bad about the mighty Sun Valley!
    The truth hurts. Having been up there more than enough to know, sure, SV gets good days. So does the burm in my fucking front yard. So what? Truth is, SV is a crusted over icefest most of the time, and is infested with Bogner wearing, G-wagon driving elitists that hemorhage money at the chance to race up Warm Springs and "ski" a 5" storm.

Get over yourself. Hit me up when your bowls are rideable, which should be sometime by March.
    Oh the irony. You are such a bitter douche Kitty that you don't even realize that the demographic that you despise is precisely the one you don't need to compete with for snow. Rather than clogging up the lift line with their deafening cacophony of shameless self promotion, those wealthy elites that stole your lunch money as a child are in the lodge dining on eggs benedict, waiting for the skies to clear. Also, forget not that the same capitalism that has allowed you to trade up every year for a new jet ski in your desperate attempts to impress your neighbor's girlfriend, also necessitates a certain tolerance of those who have spent their entire lives chasing the once-mighty buck. Are they gomers clad in ridiculous ski outfits for all the wrong reasons? Sure, but who gives a shit. Their spending habits support dozens of locals that are my buddies- dudes I get to ski with in solitude. Their property taxes build skate parks, pump tracks, and trail systems that they never use. It is you that should get over your bitterness, and move along to another thread that you may be able to add value to.

As for the ice-fest, couldn't be more true. Definitely something you should steer clear of. Nobody is hitting you up for shit bro- stay in your dark grumpy corner of the bar and out of our stoke.

Fat city what are you doing with a Thompson Avatar?? He certainly wouldn't approve of your pedantic purile ravings. He would certainly refer to you as a rube.

Hart is offline Perfecting my Wong Banger
    Just to be clear, pump tracks are places were we pump each other in the ass. Kind of like what's happening in this thread.
    I fucking love skiing

Quote Originally Posted by wildskizer View Post
    How bout you guys start a Sun Peaks thread so U don't cunt up this Sun Valley one any further?

Thanks
    I thought we were cunting up this thread by talking about Red Mountain, but Sun Peaks does sound a lot like Sun Valley but without ice or rich folks.

BTW my planned US ski trip this Jan. will probably now include Sun Valley--thanks.
    Last edited by DanoT; 12-18-2010 at 08:56 AM. Reason: typo

Or.....today. All this week, last week.....and it seems like the lower bowls are open now too. But I'm not going I am sure it is just an icefest down there.
    Stay home it's not going to be worth the drive.
    Quote Originally Posted by skuba View Post
    you can let it free and be as stupid as possible

Thread Killer
    I would like to see your point of view but I can't get my head that far up your ass.

Quote Originally Posted by kailas View Post
    Fat city what are you doing with a Thompson Avatar?? He certainly wouldn't approve of your pedantic purile ravings. He would certainly refer to you as a rube.

Riiiiiiiiight. Glad to see the resident Gonzo expert chimed in to validate himself. Go back to your corner, and let the grownups talk.