Sharp Pain: Under Left Shoulder Blade

Don't know when it started, but every few months, lets say two or three, I'll be doing nothing in particular and I will make a small movement with my arm, back or shoulder, and I will be left in intense pain under my left shoulder blade on my back for about 3-5 days. Any movement of my neck to the left exacerbates it, picking up a heavy weight in my right hand hurts it, breathing deeply makes it hurt, and many general positions, reaching, moving around to much and it kills.

The only real relief is just sort of sitting in one position and not moving much. Been coming on once every few months for about two years now. It very predictably goes away after 4-5 days.

I'm really curious as to what it is, and if there is a permanent fix. I can usually work and recreate through the pain but it's not fun.

Any thoughts? Spasm? Slipped something? etc?
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

See a doctor. Plain and simple. Aside from the obvious potential causes of mechanical injury, pain UNDER the shoulder blade can indicate a whole slew of other less obvious ailments including: Gallbladder issues (usually the right blade though), Pancreas issues, Heart attack, Pulmonary disorders including embolism, intestinal disorders, etc.

This definitely warrants a visit and some tests. Its not like a torn rotator cuff, busted ankle or a fucked up knee. If the weird stuff is ruled out the next solution might be a Chiropractor or massage therapist to kill the knot that is causing it.

i have the same issue, caused by a pinched nerve/slipping disk, which makes the muscles spasm and pinches the nerve more causing more/prolonged pain. There is expensive and dangerous surgery, or just rest/muscle relaxer/anti-inflammatory/massage to stop the cycle. One time it was so bad i went in for a cortazone shot to the spine, worked like magic. good luck.

Could be something I suffer -- Thoracic Outlet Syndrome. In many cases this is caused by improper ergonomics.