Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

A week ago...

Great to have the reports in this thread. I am likely going up tomorrow. Last I was up there was last tuesday (march 22?) . Best day I have had in awhile. Lapped south bowl most of the day.

Rare chance to ski the line above chair 1 all the way to the lot

^^^Nice first post and good to have some Wednesday stoke.

Looks like it is going to be a warm one this weekend...winter seems to be over.

I'm planning back country on San Bernardino mountain for Saturday, hope it is not soup!

1st post. Just in time for summer. Baldy still had decent coverage this Tuesday, later in the day the slush got fun...

406 you got MT origins?

LOST SKI - Need Help

Two weeks ago during the last big storm, I lost a ski while teaching a Level I Avalanche class at Baldy. I was over by Desert View hiking up the ridge and one of my students kicked loose my 2008/09 Volkl Gotama with Dukes down the North side. If anyone is skiing this drainage over the next few weeks, please keep you eyes out for a single ski. Beer and a free Level I Avi class will be in store for help in this recovery.

PM me with any news
    Last edited by srface_hoar; 03-31-2011 at 11:46 AM.

can you post a topo map and/or photo of the location that it was dropped

Do you have a link I can add to the first post in the thread for your level 1 class?

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    can you post a topo map and/or photo of the location that it was dropped

Do you have a link I can add to the first post in the thread for your level 1 class?
    I will post a topo and approxament area where the ski was lost shortly. I have finished teaching the Level I courses for the season, so my offer for a free Level I course will be for next season.

Thanks

Oh, I was thinking people might be interested to sign up for the class, wasn't trying to get details on the free offer.

Sorry if my post came off strange. The Level I class finished up two weeks ago at Baldy. We had 22 students with 2 days of classroom sessions and 2 days of field sessions. It ended up being a memorable class, as we finished our last day during the storm with 3 feet of new and 60+ mph winds. The resort was actually closed, but management let us finish the class up top.

Also interested in Level 1 class next year. Does Baldy host the classes throughout the winter season, or just once a season? If I snowboard, would I need a touring setup (splitboard/skins) or no?

Quote Originally Posted by potatoeskillme View Post
    Also interested in Level 1 class next year. Does Baldy host the classes throughout the winter season, or just once a season? If I snowboard, would I need a touring setup (splitboard/skins) or no?
    The classes are either hosted at Baldy or Waterman in Southern CA or in the Mammoth Backcountry if we do not have enough snow.

We typically do between 3-4 Level I classes every season and 1 Level II course every other season. Next year we will most likely have a Level II course for reference.

The class is designed with very little touring needs. We have quite a few non-split snowboarders and non-touring apline skiers in the classes. Because we are typically using the terrain in close proxmity to the lifts at Waterman or Baldy, access is pretty easy.

Send me your contact info and I will make sure to send you the info when things get going again next year.

pierce_group@msn.com

Do post up here next season when you schedule classes. There are a few socal mags that could be interested. I just did mine last season out of Bishop, but a refresher sometime in the future with more socal emphasis might be good.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Do post up here next season when you schedule classes. There are a few socal mags that could be interested. I just did mine last season out of Bishop, but a refresher sometime in the future with more socal emphasis might be good.
    Hutash,

No problem. I will post up the schedule as next year approaches. I typically have a tentative schedule out in October.

Did you you take your class with Neil Satterfield? Neil is a good friend and part owner of Sierra Mountain Guides and teaches a great AIRE course.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post

Count me in for sure. I had no idea you could find these classes in So Cal without going to mammoth area.

Quote Originally Posted by srface_hoar View Post
    Hutash,

No problem. I will post up the schedule as next year approaches. I typically have a tentative schedule out in October.

Did you you take your class with Neil Satterfield? Neil is a good friend and part owner of Sierra Mountain Guides and teaches a great AIRE course.
    No, I took S. P.'s class, but I have heard good things about SMG classes.
    Last edited by hutash; 04-01-2011 at 11:36 AM.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by BirdRock View Post
    Count me in for sure. I had no idea you could find these classes in So Cal without going to mammoth area.
    We have been teaching a number of Level I and Level II courses each year for the last 10-12 years. They have been filling up through word of mouth so I don't usually advertise.

I may have to put together a Maggot class for the TGR folks. I will think about this for next year and let everyone know.

This is great to hear about. Sent you an email.

Quote Originally Posted by srface_hoar View Post
    LOST SKI - Need Help

Two weeks ago during the last big storm, I lost a ski while teaching a Level I Avalanche class at Baldy. I was over by Desert View hiking up the ridge and one of my students kicked loose my 2008/09 Volkl Gotama with Dukes down the North side. If anyone is skiing this drainage over the next few weeks, please keep you eyes out for a single ski. Beer and a free Level I Avi class will be in store for help in this recovery.

PM me with any news
    Well I went up to Baldy today to look for my ski and found it about 800 vertical feet from the top. The bindings were just sticking out of the snow. Thanks for the offers from various folks to keep an eye out.

Four Two San Berdoo

406 and I had a great day on San Bernardino Mountain Saturday. Neither of us had skied it before; cool to get out to something new. Snow was variable; some nice creamy corn, but also some thick mank. It would be nice for socal if we got into a freeze-thaw cycle. Some of my pics

I suck at mountain biking. After a little mountain biking, we reached the continuous snow. and started skinning.

up

and up

Snowy peaks of Baldy, Dawson, Pine and Baden in the distance

Cool old tree

Wire + pocket knife = broken buckle MacGyver'd

Me having a good day

Textured clouds over San Gorgonio

406 slaying it

pov later
    Last edited by chunder; 04-04-2011 at 10:41 AM.