Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
Results 201 to 225 of 294
  1. #201
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    29

    A week ago...

    Great to have the reports in this thread. I am likely going up tomorrow. Last I was up there was last tuesday (march 22?) . Best day I have had in awhile. Lapped south bowl most of the day.





    Rare chance to ski the line above chair 1 all the way to the lot

  2. #202
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Paper St. Soap Co.
    Posts
    1,230
    ^^^Nice first post and good to have some Wednesday stoke.

    Looks like it is going to be a warm one this weekend...winter seems to be over.

    I'm planning back country on San Bernardino mountain for Saturday, hope it is not soup!

  3. #203
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    29
    1st post. Just in time for summer. Baldy still had decent coverage this Tuesday, later in the day the slush got fun...

  4. #204
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Hoots Jetters & Tweekers, MT
    Posts
    5,376
    406 you got MT origins?

  5. #205
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    114
    LOST SKI - Need Help

    Two weeks ago during the last big storm, I lost a ski while teaching a Level I Avalanche class at Baldy. I was over by Desert View hiking up the ridge and one of my students kicked loose my 2008/09 Volkl Gotama with Dukes down the North side. If anyone is skiing this drainage over the next few weeks, please keep you eyes out for a single ski. Beer and a free Level I Avi class will be in store for help in this recovery.

    PM me with any news
    Last edited by srface_hoar; 03-31-2011 at 11:46 AM.

  6. #206
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Paper St. Soap Co.
    Posts
    1,230
    can you post a topo map and/or photo of the location that it was dropped

    Do you have a link I can add to the first post in the thread for your level 1 class?

  7. #207
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    can you post a topo map and/or photo of the location that it was dropped

    Do you have a link I can add to the first post in the thread for your level 1 class?
    I will post a topo and approxament area where the ski was lost shortly. I have finished teaching the Level I courses for the season, so my offer for a free Level I course will be for next season.

    Thanks

  8. #208
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Paper St. Soap Co.
    Posts
    1,230
    Oh, I was thinking people might be interested to sign up for the class, wasn't trying to get details on the free offer.

  9. #209
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    114
    Sorry if my post came off strange. The Level I class finished up two weeks ago at Baldy. We had 22 students with 2 days of classroom sessions and 2 days of field sessions. It ended up being a memorable class, as we finished our last day during the storm with 3 feet of new and 60+ mph winds. The resort was actually closed, but management let us finish the class up top.

  10. #210
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    SL,UT
    Posts
    191
    Also interested in Level 1 class next year. Does Baldy host the classes throughout the winter season, or just once a season? If I snowboard, would I need a touring setup (splitboard/skins) or no?

  11. #211
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by potatoeskillme View Post
    Also interested in Level 1 class next year. Does Baldy host the classes throughout the winter season, or just once a season? If I snowboard, would I need a touring setup (splitboard/skins) or no?
    The classes are either hosted at Baldy or Waterman in Southern CA or in the Mammoth Backcountry if we do not have enough snow.

    We typically do between 3-4 Level I classes every season and 1 Level II course every other season. Next year we will most likely have a Level II course for reference.

    The class is designed with very little touring needs. We have quite a few non-split snowboarders and non-touring apline skiers in the classes. Because we are typically using the terrain in close proxmity to the lifts at Waterman or Baldy, access is pretty easy.

    Send me your contact info and I will make sure to send you the info when things get going again next year.

    pierce_group@msn.com

  12. #212
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ventura Highway in the Sunshine
    Posts
    14,558
    Do post up here next season when you schedule classes. There are a few socal mags that could be interested. I just did mine last season out of Bishop, but a refresher sometime in the future with more socal emphasis might be good.

    I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

  13. #213
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Do post up here next season when you schedule classes. There are a few socal mags that could be interested. I just did mine last season out of Bishop, but a refresher sometime in the future with more socal emphasis might be good.
    Hutash,

    No problem. I will post up the schedule as next year approaches. I typically have a tentative schedule out in October.

    Did you you take your class with Neil Satterfield? Neil is a good friend and part owner of Sierra Mountain Guides and teaches a great AIRE course.

  14. #214
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Beach
    Posts
    240
    Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Do post up here next season when you schedule classes. There are a few socal mags that could be interested. I just did mine last season out of Bishop, but a refresher sometime in the future with more socal emphasis might be good.

    Count me in for sure. I had no idea you could find these classes in So Cal without going to mammoth area.

  15. #215
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ventura Highway in the Sunshine
    Posts
    14,558
    Quote Originally Posted by srface_hoar View Post
    Hutash,

    No problem. I will post up the schedule as next year approaches. I typically have a tentative schedule out in October.

    Did you you take your class with Neil Satterfield? Neil is a good friend and part owner of Sierra Mountain Guides and teaches a great AIRE course.
    No, I took S. P.'s class, but I have heard good things about SMG classes.
    Last edited by hutash; 04-01-2011 at 11:36 AM.

    I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

  16. #216
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by BirdRock View Post
    Count me in for sure. I had no idea you could find these classes in So Cal without going to mammoth area.
    We have been teaching a number of Level I and Level II courses each year for the last 10-12 years. They have been filling up through word of mouth so I don't usually advertise.

    I may have to put together a Maggot class for the TGR folks. I will think about this for next year and let everyone know.

  17. #217
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    29
    This is great to hear about. Sent you an email.

  18. #218
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by srface_hoar View Post
    LOST SKI - Need Help

    Two weeks ago during the last big storm, I lost a ski while teaching a Level I Avalanche class at Baldy. I was over by Desert View hiking up the ridge and one of my students kicked loose my 2008/09 Volkl Gotama with Dukes down the North side. If anyone is skiing this drainage over the next few weeks, please keep you eyes out for a single ski. Beer and a free Level I Avi class will be in store for help in this recovery.


    PM me with any news
    Well I went up to Baldy today to look for my ski and found it about 800 vertical feet from the top. The bindings were just sticking out of the snow. Thanks for the offers from various folks to keep an eye out.

  19. #219
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    far and clear
    Posts
    87

    Four Two San Berdoo

    406 and I had a great day on San Bernardino Mountain Saturday. Neither of us had skied it before; cool to get out to something new. Snow was variable; some nice creamy corn, but also some thick mank. It would be nice for socal if we got into a freeze-thaw cycle. Some of my pics

    I suck at mountain biking. After a little mountain biking, we reached the continuous snow. and started skinning.
    406

    up

    and up


    Snowy peaks of Baldy, Dawson, Pine and Baden in the distance


    Cool old tree


    Wire + pocket knife = broken buckle MacGyver'd


    Me having a good day


    Textured clouds over San Gorgonio




    406 slaying it




    pov later
    Last edited by chunder; 04-04-2011 at 10:41 AM.
    Powered by Pisco

  20. #220
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    where it's steep and deep
    Posts
    2,312
    West Face of Baldy:






    Ein Berg ohne Absturzgefahr ist nur noch Attrappe. (Reinhold Messner)

  21. #221
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Paper St. Soap Co.
    Posts
    1,230
    Quote Originally Posted by Franz Klammer View Post
    West Face of Baldy:
    Very nice! How was it? How did you get in/out? I have been wanting to ski that area for a few years.

  22. #222
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    where it's steep and deep
    Posts
    2,312
    Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    Very nice! How was it? How did you get in/out? I have been wanting to ski that area for a few years.
    It was great. Perfect corn, perfect weather, perfect company. As for getting in and out: just ski down the West face and climb back up.
    Ein Berg ohne Absturzgefahr ist nur noch Attrappe. (Reinhold Messner)

  23. #223
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Paper St. Soap Co.
    Posts
    1,230
    My tr from April 2nd trip up San Bernardino Mountain( 10,500 ft), not to be confused with San Bernardino peak. I hate the hike up South Fork, so have been wanting to checkout skiing options that avoid the hike and decided to bike up the gated dirt road to snow level.

    Morning spin class:


    Only one patch of hike a bike through snow:


    Until we locked up the bikes and started to skin:




    View near the top:


    Nice view of the San Gabe's:




    Middle part was a bit manky:


    Skied right back to the bikes:


    I talked chunder into biking down the summer trail to add a bit of single track to the trip. He doesn't do much mountain biking and so wasn't as comfortable on the trail. The added pack and skis also add to the challenge. Chunder soon discovered the side carry ski method doesn't work well when biking trails, hopefully the helmet cam was on:




    A-frame for the win:




    Chunder A-framed his skis and was much happier:


    Highway-78 at the truck, very yummy Scotch Ale made by Stone, Pizza Port, & Green Flash:

  24. #224
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    SL,UT
    Posts
    191
    Nice! But biking in ski boots doesn't sound all that enjoyable...

    Looks like a cold front is coming in Thurs, and a bit of snow could come with it on Friday. Who said winter was over??

    Quick question regarding wilderness permits (since a couple of your photos address them), do you actually need one or is it mainly for the summer months for camping? Saturday may be the day I finally tackle Telegraph, but from what I read, Cucamonga wilderness requires a permit? Did you guys have to pick one up for San Bernardino Mountain?

  25. #225
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    far and clear
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by potatoeskillme View Post
    Quick question regarding wilderness permits (since a couple of your photos address them), do you actually need one or is it mainly for the summer months for camping? Saturday may be the day I finally tackle Telegraph, but from what I read, Cucamonga wilderness requires a permit? Did you guys have to pick one up for San Bernardino Mountain?
    Technically wilderness permits are required for both San Gorgonio and Cucamonga wilderness areas. It should be easy enough to call the ranger station and pick one up for Telegraph...
    Powered by Pisco

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •