Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    No shit... so those were YOUR tracks on the east face when I got up there today! Good stuff. I went up with a buddy, dropped in to the north side and ended up in a small exit chute to the road with a bit of creek to walk through. The terrain was fantastic, super fun. The snow was actually not too bad, more soft cream than corn, and only a few hard spots from the shadows. I'll have some pics up later.

I skied Baldy both Saturday and Sunday. It was super fun, nice and slushy and warm. I lapped the Herb's area a lot, and also skied some South Bowl runs. Gold Ridge got slushy too. Overall a real blast. I skied Bentley's down to the lot both days. You had to hike out at the end, but there were some good turns to be had. Bentley's is pretty much the only lot area left. I don't know if it will hold up into the weekend, but it sure was fun. I hit several rocks, as would be expected, but it was worth it.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Some pics from Baden-Powell on Sun. (sorry, no action shots, the cam was packed away)

This was one of yours, chunder / 406?

It was my first time hiking in crampons, and I found out how they got their name...

Baden 3-12

Quote Originally Posted by chunder View Post
    I have some pov that I'll be adding later.

Powered by Pisco

forecast for San Gabe's at 7k:
    Quote Originally Posted by NOAA;
    Sunday Night: Snow. Low around 26. Windy. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 12 to 18 inches possible.
    So, maybe 6 inches? Powder Monday?

Wow, this is a solid looking storm now. Last time the reports said 2-3 feet above 7000 feet, it actually happened. Snow levels are supposed to drop to 5k by Monday. I *cough* feel I might be *coughhh* coming down with something, boss.

WOW, that was epic. The big runs off 4 were unreal. Should be good tomorrow if you didn't make today.

Dammit, I'm jealous. Hoping it will still snow on and off all week. I might hike baden-powell again this weekend which should be way better than last time. So, how much actually fell up there? Was it really wind packed?

Oh it was soooo hard to not call in sick today....regretted it all day. How heavy was it? Any instability?

I went into the side country at Mt. High with a few friends. 2-3ft of powder. The snow was a little heavy but it was amazing none the less.
    We did dig a pit and the new snowfall seemed to break away from the frozen crust easily enough. It was heavy and slow moving though.
    Pt1
    Last edited by Witty1; 03-22-2011 at 01:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by potatoeskillme View Post
    So, how much actually fell up there? Was it really wind packed?
    About 3 ft, best coverage of the year. North facing was a little wind packed, south facing not much at all and was light.

Damn 406, wish I could have gotten out there with ya.

looks like it is snowing again!

I was just coming in here to say its POURRRINNGGG hard in OC. PCH is flooded. We might get another foot or more around Baldy if this keeps up through tomorrow night.

Any reports as to whether its snowing or raining at Baldy?

And I am new to the area... Is Baldy the best bet for a day trip from N. County SD?
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Any reports as to whether its snowing or raining at Baldy?

And I am new to the area... Is Baldy the best bet for a day trip from N. County SD?
    First post on this thread has links for weather, radar, webcams, and discount tickets.
    Yes, Baldy is best bet for N SD. Should be < 2 hr drive with no traffic...I take the 15 to 10 to Euclid.

Here's a bit of highlights from some of the collegiate competitions that have been going on at Mammoth all season. So Cal schools represented include: USC, UCLA, Loyola Marymount, UCSB,UCSD, Fresno, SDSU, Cal State Long Beach and Fullerton.

enjoy!

More ski vids:http://www.youtube.com/user/RichieCski

Gonna be heavy stuff and probably not a lot of it, but this time of year who can be choosy. Whyturn is going for sure, I'm 90%. Not sure what he'll be on, me orange Bros & Skookums (maiden voyage for both).

if face blowers are heavy and "not much" you are right.... which is what it was today

I'm trying to not get my hopes up, been utterly disappointed way too many times at Baldy... "2 feet" turns into freezing rain and 50mph wind, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Witty1 View Post
    I went into the side country at Mt. High with a few friends. 2-3ft of powder. The snow was a little heavy but it was amazing none the less.
    We did dig a pit and the new snowfall seemed to break away from the frozen crust easily enough. It was heavy and slow moving though.
    Pt1
    I finally watched that vid, and must say you guys are idiots. You dug a pit, found sketchy conditions, and chose to go ahead without any gear. That is fail on so many levels. You do realize two patrolers died on Mt High sidecountry a couple of years ago in the same conditions, right?

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    I finally watched that vid, and must say you guys are idiots. You dug a pit, found sketchy conditions, and chose to go ahead without any gear. That is fail on so many levels. You do realize two patrolers died on Mt High sidecountry a couple of years ago in the same conditions, right?
    The hike up BP couldn't be easier, just start up hill from the parking lot, and stop when you start going downhill. Crampons just make life easier, but are rarely essential.
    No need for an ice axe as you are in glades the whole time. Don't worry about trying to followmthe trail, hopefully it will be well buried. Just boot or skin up what ever you want, or if you are lucky there will be a boot pack you can just walk up.
    Plenty of idiot advice right there.