Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Yeah, there are some goods on 4 to be had tomorrow if you can find it... it probably opened around 2-2:30 so it wasn't ridden too much today. South bowl, I imagine, is completely tracked out unless it snowed more after I left, but chair 2 and parking lot runs were off the hook -- not much fresh left up there. The temps dropped through out the day, so if you can find some clean lines it'll likely be just as light and fluffy. Looks bluebird tomorrow, get there early if you want it.

Just be careful too, patrol bombed next to chair 1 while we all waited for them to open the ticket office this morning and a couple spots slid. I triggered 2 slabs today, there's what seems to be a wind pack layer about 6" deep. Just a heads up.

Road was slick in places, pickups with chains and AWD cars were having trouble, I think I passed about four crashed vehicles. 4WD suvs with good tires did okay, Just to be safe I put cables on my 4WD suv and was glad I did. Probably didn't need 'em, but there was a stretch in the bowling alley that was a little trecherous even with all that traction.

Baldy was still soft this morning, even though most of the stuff was skied out. I found a little untracked here and there.

I need to go up there on a good day with somebody who knows their way around.

I saw a pair of Superbros and a pair of 174 Bros today...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

for those of us lucky enough to get through to mt waterman this morning, it was spectacular. way way too good to stop for pics.

by far the best day of so cal skiing i've had; sidecountry runs in todays conditions were up there with anywhere i've skied.
    It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.

For those of us who were 5 minutes too late to sneak through the top gate (100 yards before the Crest Highway), what a complete clusterfuck.

Quote Originally Posted by potatoeskillme View Post
    Just be careful too, patrol bombed next to chair 1 while we all waited for them to open the ticket office this morning and a couple spots slid.
    I thought it was interesting how everyone stood in the ticket line watching the avalanche. While running to take cover in the bathroom, I reached in my jacket to turn my peep on because I was skeptical that it would stop at the lift line area. It was cool that they threw a bomb just above the parking lot within view of us standing in line. Not so cool that he wasn't really in a safe area if the bomb triggered a slide. It is good that Baldy is starting to do better avalanche control.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    I saw a pair of Superbros
    I was on my Superbros on Sunday. First time on them in powder, really liked them.

Someone forgot to convert from cm to in at TGR and Baldy made the top snow fall list:

No photos from Saturday, but it was really good. Opened fast, no crowds, excellent snow. Even driving down wasn't bad.

Sunday went up with friend to enjoy blue bird day old powder. Few laps on 3 and then a few laps on 4:

Line on 4 started to get long:

Then the crowds showed up:

Time to get creative:

The Baldy Dog takes a shit on the cat track, good dog knows not to poop in powder:

For those not wanting to damage equipment one of the exits was a bit tricky. Grabbing a willow branch saved friend from a cold dip in the creek:

Yep:

Found this in the road on the drive down, I don't think this qualifies as sand or gravel on the Wentworth scale:

nice pics 406, sad i missed the powder this weekend... not sad i missed the crowds.

i'm heading up to baldy with a friend on wednesday, and we plan to do a little sidecountry exploration. i've recently found some fantastic lines near south bowl, but i'm hoping to branch out. i overheard some guys talking about some lines on the east side of chair 4 that drop down to a fire road providing easy access back to the notch. anyone know anything about this or other sidecountry areas? feel free to pm if this is a sensitive subject... i know most of it is in plain site but any pointers would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by arctic_grayling View Post
    nice pics 406, sad i missed the powder this weekend... not sad i missed the crowds.

i'm heading up to baldy with a friend on wednesday, and we plan to do a little sidecountry exploration. i've recently found some fantastic lines near south bowl, but i'm hoping to branch out. i overheard some guys talking about some lines on the east side of chair 4 that drop down to a fire road providing easy access back to the notch. anyone know anything about this or other sidecountry areas? feel free to pm if this is a sensitive subject... i know most of it is in plain site but any pointers would be appreciated.
    See here: http://www.sierradescents.com/skiing...ton-flats.html
    It's not necessarily "easy". If you can't go with someone who's been there before, get a topo map and study it.
    Powered by Pisco

wow, that's a pretty awesome TR! looking at his pics and reading his report, i agree with your assessment that it might be prudent to go with someone who knows the area. with that consideration combined with the pics people posted of the inbounds crowns at baldy, i think i'll wait on that trip. definitely something i'll keep in the back of my mind though.

so did waterman turn the lifts on this weekend or not? Some people say yes, others say no.

Quote Originally Posted by socalbaldyskier View Post
    so did waterman turn the lifts on this weekend or not? Some people say yes, others say no.
    yes, sunday they did. chair one only for the first couple hours, and then chair two around 11:30 maybe. i only took pics waiting for the lift to open unfortunately, but here's someone else's report from sunday:

http://www.firsttracksonline.com/boa...p=59843#p59834

quality.
    It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.

Has anyone been to Baden Powell recently, or know if the road is open to Vincent Gap?