Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Saturday should be interesting...based on the forecast, people will be putting on chains just North of the I-210 and Baldy road will be icy at the end of the day. I'm packing sleeping bag and food.

I am more worried about the ice at the end of the day. If you get up before the crowds, the road "should be" snowy, and not icy. :crossesfingers:

Chain control at the bottom of the hill would might help cut down on snowplayers in 2wd pickups sliding all over the road.

I will be on in Sunday, but not Saturday. I hope the roads are ok by Sunday.

For those of you hitting it on Saturday, have fun and be safe.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Also looking at Sunday if the roads are doable,no Baldy bowling alley action..

If anyone wants to carpool from San Diego Saturday or Sunday send me a pm.

I hate skiing alone (never know what could happen), if anybody sees a burnt orange guy with grey pack on Sumos say hello. Guessing I'll be in South Bowl or the trees off the corner of the cat track most of the time. Would be nice the wind doesn't strip lift #4, but I'm not getting any hopes up.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 02-25-2011 at 01:36 PM.

I'll keep an eye out for you. I'll be in a Brown MH jacket and black pants on Bro 183s. Let's just hope they open. The forecast went up to about 20" of snow tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by rmackd View Post
    Let's just hope they open.
    Agree. If the forecast is true, I predict a "we need to call the locals to run the lifts." Predictions on time? I'm betting 930 on 1 & noon for Thunder. Wind is the big wild card. Perhaps if the storm is cold enough the pulley's won't ice up overnight.

Their operations are much better this year, but they don't react well to wind at Baldy. There is nothing worse than getting up buttcrack of dawn to beat all th aholes going up there, and then wait until they open it and all the crowds have arrived.

I just moved down to SD... Looking forward to hitting Bear this weekend. Any ideas on where I can buy discounted tickets?
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Damn Rmackd, I've been trying to finish installing the inserts in my new Bro 183s this week, but am out of time...should have just used screws initially so I could get on them this weekend.

Guess I'll keep an eye out for the Sumos then. The speed of the front seems to have increased, so the storm could very well be on its way out early tomorrow AM.

I like this thread. Keep it coming.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    I just moved down to SD... Looking forward to hitting Bear this weekend. Any ideas on where I can buy discounted tickets?
    Can't help you.

And Big Bear sucks. There is no reason to go there. Go to Baldy or Waterman instead.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

mt. baldy atop the "top snowfall" count with 48 inches?? i guess someone considers 7-10 day old snow to be new. anyway, i want to see some pics of some people enjoying the reported 2 feet overnight.

Looks like the roads are not going to clear for Waterman today. So, if any other mags are up there tomorrow, say hi if you see a gaper in an Orange NF Sedition riding either Bro 192s or Lhasa 191s.

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre LeCouloir View Post
    Looks like the roads are not going to clear for Waterman today. So, if any other mags are up there tomorrow, say hi if you see a gaper in an Orange NF Sedition riding either Bro 192s or Lhasa 191s.
    Fingers Crossed for tomorrow. No real good way to know what's really going on with the roads but the rumors of rockslides are a bummer. Be nice if they opened Monday like a few weeks back. Guess I'll check the roads page early tomorrow and hope for good news. Damn, I want to see Waterman on the top of the Snowfall Count List

Did anyone hit Baldy up today? I'm hoping to hear a snow/road report.

Just got back... Epic. Literally epic, as good as it gets anywhere if you got there early. Roads were ok around 6:30am if you had 4x4 or chains but turned to a shitshow later on from what I overheard in the lodge at lunch. Coming home through baldy village was also not fun.

I hit a nasty sharkfin and put a core shot on my fish so bad I might have to retire the board. It was worth it. Lapped a completely empty chair 1 all day.

Listen to me snowgasm (and almost eat shit) on my 4th untracked run this morning. Conditions were great.

That video tells the story perfectly. Rode South Bowl with 406 and it was simply amazing. Those runs were the best ride I've had there. I too, took a core shot, but it is likely repairable. Well worth, but you'd better get there EARLY to enjoy. 4 will be excellent tomorrow down to the lot.

Full on Epic today. Late afternoon runs on 4, with the best snow I have ever had on 4 made for an excellent end of an amazing day. Nice skiing with you rmackd.

Damn, what time did 4 open? I headed out at 2:30, South Bowl got tracked out fast and the afternoon zero vis fog / freezing wind got old. It was quite decent on sheltered lee slopes, where they definitely drifted in two feet. Many areas exposed to the wind were stripped down to dirt or blue ice, which did cover a lot of the rocks nicely when scooting to the next pocket of windbuff. Surprised people were lapping 1, looked pretty thin/stripped in a lot of places. Traffic wasn't bad, CHP did a good job keeping snowplayers below the Village with a chain checkpoint.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 02-27-2011 at 10:52 AM.

Oh yeah, was surprised to hear ski patrol bombing South Bowl around 10:30, in the past haven't they only done ski cutting?