Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    'To quote my bro
    "We're not K2. We're a bunch of maggots running one press at full steam building killer fukkin skis and putting smiles on our friends' faces." ' - skifishbum '08

"Adios Hugh you asshole" - Ghostofcarl '14

believe...

Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
    MR was at SIA and had a prototype smaller pack with them, not measured yet but in the 20-25L range. Will be cheaper than the blackjack by some amount, and the system is fully removable/swappable between packs.
    Anyone have more info about this smaller pack?

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Mystery makes an avalung yoke for their packs. Just give 'em the guts of an avalung pack or one of the bandoliers and you can have the best of both worlds.
    Is this still the case?

I've searched the thread and the reviews and no one mentions snowboard carry.
    I doubt this will have a horizontal-carry for sleds, but can anyone expound on the vertical-carry capability specifically for a snowboard?

1. Do the compression straps pull to the frame, eliminating swing & yaw?
    2. Can the lower snowboard binding be mounted ABOVE the lower pack compression strap, so that the snowboard tail isn't anywhere near the legs? TIA

Yo, Ben here from MR...
    No longer making the avalung yoke for a couple reasons. One, its a design nightmare, and 2, its not in our long term goals to compete with BD.
    As for snowboards, you can dial one in well on the back of the pack using the side compression that is anchored at the frame/body panel. Also, easy enough to attach the bottom binding above the bottom compression for sledding. Other move is ride it sideways under the shoulder pads - bindings out, resting on the bottom of the SP compression strap. That's how I attach when riding a sled...

Quote Originally Posted by bnobel View Post
    Yo, Ben here from MR...
    No longer making the avalung yoke for a couple reasons. One, its a design nightmare, and 2, its not in our long term goals to compete with BD.
    As for snowboards, you can dial one in well on the back of the pack using the side compression that is anchored at the frame/body panel. Also, easy enough to attach the bottom binding above the bottom compression for sledding. Other move is ride it sideways under the shoulder pads - bindings out, resting on the bottom of the SP compression strap. That's how I attach when riding a sled...
    Sweet, now I know someone with a sled in BOZ
    And thanks for the info.

For anyone who hasn't heard, WARY is out of business and Mystery Ranch stopped making the Blackjack. No idea if MR is looking for a new airbag supplier or not (would assume so), but current Blackjack owners might want to pick up a spare cylinder while still available (no doubt sledder vest owners are buying them up).

Snowbigdeal bought out WARY's inventory: http://www.snowbigdeal.com/avalanche...e-airbags.html

I bought an empty cylinder from them for $99 a couple weeks ago, but scarcity (or high season) has pushed the price up to $150.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    For anyone who hasn't heard, WARY is out of business and Mystery Ranch stopped making the Blackjack. No idea if MR is looking for a new airbag supplier or not (would assume so), but current Blackjack owners might want to pick up a spare cylinder while still available (no doubt sledder vest owners are buying them up).

Snowbigdeal bought out WARY's inventory: http://www.snowbigdeal.com/avalanche...e-airbags.html

I bought an empty cylinder from them for $99 a couple weeks ago, but scarcity (or high season) has pushed the price up to $150.
    a few weeks ago I was looking for a smaller pack and MR said they would have something for 15/16, that was before Wary went out of business. Earlier this week wildsnow published MR stopped making the blackjack and they would have a new ski line for 16/17, so 2 years out as of Today!

ABS or Snowpulse/Mammut would be my guess, not sure K2 is OEM'ing the float bag, and not sure the battery fan bags are ready for OEM as well

I'm curious to see what happens and who MR is reaching out to

i'm looking for one of the non-airbag top pockets for the blackjack. pm me por favor if anyone has one they could part with.

bump.
    kits back in stock at snow big deal.
    Life of a repo man is always intense.

Wow - I was not aware of this. Bummer, as I love my Blackjack. While not the lightest pack around, it carries excellent, is durable and very well thought out.

Is there a specific reason folks are loading up on extra cylinders (i.e., do they have a life-span I am not aware of)?

Quote Originally Posted by Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer View Post
    Is there a specific reason folks are loading up on extra cylinders (i.e., do they have a life-span I am not aware of)?
    Not really a life span, but there's a test date stamped on the bottles and they can't be refilled after so many years after that date (can't remember if it's five years, etc), but it's cheap to have the bottle pressure tested and re-stamped at a SCUBA shop.

I only grabbed a backup cylinder to keep in my gear bag in the car, so if I'm away on a long weekend I won't hesitate to pull the trigger early. Don't want to be trying to decide in the heat of the moment if it's worth blowing my only cylinder or not. With a backup available why not err on the side of caution.

Interesting news about Wary. At least the bag has potential to swap out inflation systems .... I wonder if you could use a jet force system retrofitted into this pack?

I've been flying a lot lately and was thinking about an extra cylinder to keep at home and having a "travel cylinder" just because the hunt to refill the pack on both sides of travel is a pain: keeping an empty one at home makes flying a bit easier.

Any splitters here? One really interesting thing is having a reliable way to attach poles and whippet while minimizing the chance that the pole punctures the bag during inflation. I normally do tips up and pole stashed to the side but that puts it right in the inflation area. Whippets are also next to impossible to stow tip down as well.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

I split and thought the same thing, but haven't had a problem tips down yet. Attached to the zipperered side as I'm going through there to get into the pack most times. Tips into the ski loop, both compression straps & then the very top buckle to the lid goes through the wrist straps. Secure enough.

Any other Canadians with this pack though? SnowBigDeal wants $20 to ship the refill kit.... maybe do a group order?
    Life is simple. Go Explore.

SnowBigDeal has the cylinders (empty) for $99 again.
    http://www.snowbigdeal.com/avivest-airbag-canister.html

I just did a test pull on my blackjack after a few years of skiing without incident. I had to go back to my manual and look for my replacement o-ring set (which was lost). This led me to research where Blackjack owners stand today in terms of support for this product. I previously knew the Blackjack had been discontinued but did not know Wary was also out of the game. While I know it shouldn't affect something successfully designed in the past and still operational, it does feel a little bit off to be using a device which my life could depend on that is no longer supported. While nothing beats a dana designs (MR) pack - I think this whole experience might be an argument to go with a brand in the future that is more likely to be around and in the game.

I am ordering a new o-ring kit - and have the cylinder filled at scuba shop. How do other Blackjack owners feel about continuing to use the Blackjack years into the future knowing the system is no longer officially supported?

Quote Originally Posted by Driver View Post
    I am ordering a new o-ring kit - and have the cylinder filled at scuba shop. How do other Blackjack owners feel about continuing to use the Blackjack years into the future knowing the system is no longer officially supported?
    Whether or not it's "officially" supported has little bearing on my confidence in the system. The WARY system was supported and in use long enough to reveal any manufacturer defects or inherent flaws in the design. None have been identified (to my knowledge), and the design is simple and easy to test. If a failure occurs, or a meaningfully better option comes to market, I will upgrade.

Until somebody makes a pack or vest that fits big guys, the Blackjack will have to do.

I'm sticking with mine until I run out of o-rings. After that, I'll probably pull the airbag components, find a way to get a new top pocket made, and keep using it indefinitely.

I have confidence in the system, the pack is top drawer, and I ain't gonna drop dime on a new airbag at least until the fan packs have gone through a couple more iterations. Maybe never unless the price and/or weight comes down significantly.

I agree with covert, and I'll also note that MR provided customer support last year when we needed/wanted extra o-rings.

Bob, I stocked up on extra parts (another canister and O-ring kit) 2 years ago and it's been fine. Theoretically the Venturi valve could be adaptable to other inflation systems in the future if it ever becomes impossible to get more O-rings (which is really unlikely due to that being a standard part once you know the spec). At some point, the line/bladder/valving assembly should be retired anyways to stay within acceptable margins of safety.

By then I'd hope that MR has signed a licensing agreement with other inflation mechanism vendors such as Arc, BD, Snowpulse etc.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Exactly... running out of o-rings supplied by the pack maker should not be a reason to ditch the gear, as long as other components aren't worn beyond safe use. O-rings can be purchased from other sources.

I see no reason to ever stop using a Blackjack if you like it, it's not as if the airbag system will wear out. O-rings are o-rings.

That said, I don't like the way the bag is folded per the manual. I pack mine accordian style to eliminate internal friction, not folded end-to-end.

I know an operation that may be selling some of their Blackjacks in the next year. If anyone replies with interest I'll follow up.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    I know an operation that may be selling some of their Blackjacks in the next year. If anyone replies with interest I'll follow up.
    Interested. Missed out on a killer deal on one here due to being busy over the holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post

That said, I don't like the way the bag is folded per the manual. I pack mine accordian style to eliminate internal friction, not folded end-to-end.
    Interesting ... I'm personally less willing to deviate from the manufacturer's spec on that kind of thing. But I am curious what the WARY design criteria was for total number of duty cycles. I'm hopeful that, specifically with respect to folding, there was some rigorous analysis conducted that balanced reliable breaking of zipper force with huge margins of safety against fabric wear and loading stress during inflation. But maybe they found that fold to work okay during field testing and just stuck with it. In my experience these kind of details come down to the combined anal-retentiveness of both the product manager and the engineering manager ...

But yeah, I'm hesitant to deviate from the original spec without significant analysis.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell