Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Sick jeep!
    "Slid into the cave where Rocky was waiting with the bong and the snowlerblades"

Quote Originally Posted by ImSearchingforPowder View Post
    Sick jeep!
    thanks, slowly buliding it up. Time to swap out the super swamper TSL's for snow/ice tires. trying to get the finds togeaher to install a longarm kit over the winter.

What's the word over there. It's puking here on the mainland.....looking for a trip to Cain maybe friday
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Farcisimus View Post
    What's the word over there. It's puking here on the mainland.....looking for a trip to Cain maybe friday
    As far as I know, Cain isn't giving the green light for a Saturday opening until Thursday - not sure what's happening up there right now though - fingies crossed for a load of snow

not sure about cain, But mt washington for 88+cm in the last 24 hours....

Looks like it was a good decision to stay out of West Bowl on Saturday:

Saturday 27 November, 14:00hrs. Skier triggered avalanche West Bowl Mount Cain, 1500m (tree line), West aspect, size 2.

A group of three skiers in the "Door Number Three" feature in the west bowl of Mount Cain were involved in a size two avalanche which resulted in one injured person and a lost ski.

The avalanche was triggered by a single skier high in the start zone, about 10 metres below ridge line in a soft slab on an unsupported feature. The fracture line was approximately 40 meters wide with a depth of 70 to 130cm. It is speculated that the slab was the result of both cross loading from North winds during our recent cold/clear spell and more recent storm winds. As the avalanche ran down the path a "step down" fracture occurred on a deteriorating crust which sits below all of our new snow since 17 November. This crust became soft and somewhat faceted during our cold, clear spell. The avalanche scoured out snow nearly to ground as it proceeded down the path.

The person triggering the avalanche rode with it the full length of the avalanche path (approximately 400m) hitting small trees as he went. The result was some bad bruising and ligament damage to the victim. The two other skiers were situated on a prominence to the skiers left of the path a short distance below the start zone. One of the two was torn from his stance by moving snow and rode for about 5 to 10 meters before grabbing a tree to stop. This person lost a ski. The other person stayed in their position.

Does anybody know what the deal is with the gate on the access road to Green Mountain? I've heard its open anywhere from 2:30pm to 9pm and I can't find concrete info anywhere...

Quote Originally Posted by apac4 View Post
    Does anybody know what the deal is with the gate on the access road to Green Mountain? I've heard its open anywhere from 2:30pm to 9pm and I can't find concrete info anywhere...
    I dont think they are hulling out of there right now. I've never seen the gate locked and as far as i know there is no gate keeper there. Just try to be out befor 6!
    access to green mt is simple, but having a 4x4 is a must if the roads are coverd.

the parking spot

Rad. Thanks Ray...I'll post how it is. Think we're going to head up Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by skadams.ca View Post
    41cm new overnight - Cain should be primo this weekend!

And to ensure there is sufficient stoke in this thread, a few Cain pics....
    Me likey this

Rad. Thanks Ray...I'll post how it is. Think we're going to head up Sunday.
    Let me know, I might be up there with my dog. Maybe we can meet up for a few lines.

Quote Originally Posted by raym View Post
    Let me know, I might be up there with my dog. Maybe we can meet up for a few lines.
    Absolutely. See you up there tomorrow hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by raym View Post
    I dont think they are hulling out of there right now. I've never seen the gate locked and as far as i know there is no gate keeper there.
    All the gates were locked Sunday morning. After trying every option we could think of to get around them we just went to Forbidden Plateau...which was crusty.

All the gates were locked Sunday morning. After trying every option we could think of to get around them we just went to Forbidden Plateau...which was crusty.
    wow that supprises me, there are ppl who live at first lake.

Anyone heading out this weekend? It would be nice to get out this weekend!!!!

looks like it could be another deep weekend up on cain, i'm seeing 80+ cms this week, and more snow on the weekend.

was up on cokely on saturday, a firm crust below 15cm of dry snow. cold, windy, fast conditions in the meadows. good day, despite imperfect conditions.

turns out it was a buddy of mine in the slide in west bowl, his knee is pretty banged up apparently, but got off lucky considering.

also, is there a good boot fitter on the island anyone can reccomend?

Thinking of heading up to Cain (for the first time) over the weekend, combined with visiting Hornby. Where's the best place to find driving access information?

Thanks,
    Cam

www.mountcain.com has some decent info on directions (not that there are options). Head North on the highway when you get off the ferry, drive about 40mins past Sayward and look for a blue 'ski hill' sign. If you hit Woss, you've gone too far

I was trying to get out tomorrow, but sadly i must work with all this rain and some what low freezing level (around 500-600m) you can bet there has been LOTS of new snow on the mountains around nanaimo lakes/copper canyon/lake cowichan area

anyone want to meet up for a trip up mt cokley/arrowsmith this weekend? freezing level dropped to around 300m today and all the mountains has some new snow

Snow as far down as 300m!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this means GOOD island snow on the higher mountains!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyone up for some back country this weekend?

here where im thinking

or

or we couldent even go here

Would love to join you Ray but heading into the interior this weekend for the next couple weeks - gotta meet up in the new year for some turns

Hope you git some this weekend - should be pretty epic

seems everyone is leaving! its getting harder to find ppl to head out with!

get out there man,some of the best conditions you will ever see on the Island right now. Mt Washington has been going off all week...
    You dont stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing

Quote Originally Posted by vanisle View Post
    get out there man,some of the best conditions you will ever see on the Island right now. Mt Washington has been going off all week...
    going out along kinda sucks, cant really push the turrain or anything, besides, im now stuck fishing the lake today, out in pedder bay area tomorrow

250cm of snow at mt washington since monday and its STILL falling. Apperntly they have stoped grooming cuz they cant keep up with the recent snow fall! 480cm base, mmmmhmmmm gonna make for some good riding!