Page 6 of 67 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    The lemming effect is in full force. People give you that stupid smile and say "oi mate, mind if I follow?" with out a clue as to potential consequences. I asked one kangaroo the other day what the locals back in oz say when some barney without a clue paddles out on a dangerous break. No reply at all.
    I saw two tourists follow Matty and a friend of his as matty was preparing to climb up to Blackcomb Peak and ski the billygoat line by the side of DOA. Too funny - booked out of there as didn't want any part in a rescue

The lemming effect is in full force. People give you that stupid smile and say "oi mate, mind if I follow?" with out a clue as to potential consequences. I asked one kangaroo the other day what the locals back in oz say when some barney without a clue paddles out on a dangerous break. No reply at all.
    It will be a fun year when (if) the spearhead huts get built.

or, you mean, it will be even more of a gong show. more people back there that possibly shouldn't be

There'll be a fee to use the huts. That alone will thin the herd

Plus, if you look at the current proposal, none of the huts will be much closer to W/B than the current himmelsbach hut is. Still far enough out to deter the total yahoos.

true.. but with the amenities that they are supposed to have, I imagine a lot will still go for it. I'm not complaining since I'll be using them as well, but I'm just glad I've done the traverse already before the huts change the area

Quote Originally Posted by endure View Post
    true.. but with the amenities that they are supposed to have, I imagine a lot will still go for it. I'm not complaining since I'll be using them as well, but I'm just glad I've done the traverse already before the huts change the area
    yah it will definitely change the area. Not to put too fine a gloss on it but think of the Spearhead Traverse ranges as the sacrificial area. People are going to go out on glaciers and try their hand at big alpine travel no matter what. At least have it managed in an area that's fairly close to everything and where the glaciers are relatively benign. Better than cutting teeth on the McBride. Personally I'm pushing for the Diavolo - Cheakamus hut location

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    yah it will definitely change the area. Not to put too fine a gloss on it but think of the Spearhead Traverse ranges as the sacrificial area. People are going to go out on glaciers and try their hand at big alpine travel no matter what. At least have it managed in an area that's fairly close to everything and where the glaciers are relatively benign. Better than cutting teeth on the McBride. Personally I'm pushing for the Diavolo - Cheakamus hut location
    Exactly, plus people seem to discount the fact that there is a small but significant economy associated with the backcountry 'scene' in southern BC, and more huts = more business for the people who are trying to make their living guiding or selling gear or whatever.

The Spearhead is going to change no matter what - it's inevitable, so why not get out in front of it and make sure it's non-motorized and in keeping with the 'right' ethic. I think the way this hut project is shaping up looks like it will honor that.

We all want to feel special and 'core', but the fact is that we've all been that guy who's taken a course (hopefully), bought some gear and set out past the gates for the first time. The demand for huts is only going to grow - I think this proposal addresses the demand in the most sane way. I can think of worse options.

To be honest mate, as an Aussie who has had this happen to me many many times I'd probably say "Yeah sure, just be careful of....."

At least the bloke asked for some help rather than just charging blindly into avvie terrain.

I completely understand that us Aussies have a reputation in Whistler for doing very dumb things but please don't assume that we all do as we are certainly not all the same.

Cheers

W/BC should give some serious thought to the Sunshine approach of requiring a beacon for access to parts of the mountain. Don't know if it helps with avys, but limiting the best steep skiing to people who aren't going to side-slip down the f'in shoots is a nice touch.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvT7QGIn7SM&feature=sub"]YouTube - Alaska11 web.m4v[/nomedia]
    Another instant classic from the twisted mind of Brian Baker

Quote Originally Posted by djbooter View Post
    I completely understand that us Aussies have a reputation in Whistler for doing very dumb things but please don't assume that we all do as we are certainly not all the same.
    oi, mate! welcome JONG! vibes for being aussie.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by Clownshoe View Post
    YouTube - Alaska11 web.m4v
    Damn they scored good. Looks like Mayers scored first dibs on Meteorite.

Quote Originally Posted by djbooter View Post
    "Yeah sure, just be careful of....."
    The Snow-Crocs....there not in full hibernation yet.

Powder11, I've been a long time lurker on this site and i know that most of your posts are pretty bang on, and i somewhat agree with this post and as most Australians over here have no clue on mountain safety. However don't assume they all don't no what their doing, I'm an Australian who has been over here for 6 years, I have my level 3 Avi course under my belt, and i am more of a nazi about alpine safety than all of my Canadian friends.

Quote Originally Posted by BcPowderHunter View Post
    Powder11, I've been a long time lurker on this site and i know that most of your posts are pretty bang on, and i somewhat agree with this post and as most Australians over here have no clue on mountain safety. However don't assume they all don't no what their doing, I'm an Australian who has been over here for 6 years, I have my level 3 Avi course under my belt, and i am more of a nazi about alpine safety than all of my Canadian friends.
    oi, mate! welcome JONG! vibes for being aussie!

20cms overnight and its still nuking! time to shred!
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

20cms overnight and its still nuking! time to shred!
    ahhhhhh yeah!

Yay for knee injuries. Fuck. 4th good day in a row I'm missing.

that first track is unreal

wow that song is bad. i think it's even worse than stainers ode to vomit

oi, mate! welcome JONG! vibes for being aussie.
    And don't get me started on the yanks...

I hate anyone who's up there today or tomorrow.

So what's the feeling on any alpine lifts opening for this weekend? Any signs of life up there? Inquiring minds want to know.

Since I can't ski or find work and I'm going crazy, what's the cheapest place to get a work out around here?

Quote Originally Posted by filthyfrenchbum View Post
    Since I can't ski or find work and I'm going crazy, what's the cheapest place to get a work out around here?
    Meadow Park, of course. And don't forget Friday is toonie night ($2 from 6-10 I think).