Page 64 of 67 FirstFirst ... 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,600 of 1655
    Which lake are you on? My parents have a place on deka and grandparents on sheridan

Quote Originally Posted by skibum_jr View Post
    Which lake are you on? My parents have a place on deka and grandparents on sheridan
    North side of green lake

Sad news from the valley. Just saw this in the paper. Bill was a long time local, an employee of Whistler Blackcomb for many years, and one of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet.

http://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/piq...it+runge+18.18

RIP Bill

thats awesome

At least another season of free parking at Creekside and Base II.

Haven't posted for a while, my season came to an early end mid-April when I reinjured a disc hernia in my back. Choked that I missed out on a few good weeks of touring I had planned, but can't complain about this stellar season. Starting to feel better so I'll probably get a few cruisy days at Blackcomb this month. Is Spankys and the glacier closed/out of bounds now?

Thanks to those I met from here that showed me around this year, especially khyber and Mr. wilkez (nice air in that pic dude!). Back to weekend warrior status next season.

I have a pair of older (blue) barely used (5 days?) Scarpa Tornados 28.5. I am not looking to do much shipping, but will let them go to coastal kids for 100 bucks if they need delivery, 80 if you pick them up.
    Thanks!

I was in the city all day, can any one tell me if the alpine opened today.

Looks lick a sick pow day tomorrow.
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

its 12:45, back at my desk, fully satisfied. Dipsy Doodle was all time today!

Quote Originally Posted by htbandit View Post
    its 12:45, back at my desk, fully satisfied. Dipsy Doodle was all time today!
    Worth coming up tomorrow?

Must have been good you actually posted.

Quote Originally Posted by htbandit View Post
    Dipsy Doodle was all time today!
    yeah, but I got 1st tracks on it! As good as gets for mid winter, let alone mid May! It got pretty warm and schmooey up high towards the end of the day, so probably not worth the drive tomorrow.

Today was good, nice snow and nobody around at all. It was like a mid winter powder day.

This new snow isn't sticking very well. Patrol had Spanky's and the glacier closed (pass pull signs, not just boundary) but were letting people hike up Showcase and The Stupids to ski back down into the resort side. They eventually allowed people into BC glacier "at your own risk". Lots of fresh slides on the Gemstones side, and some large size 2 or 3s that had come off the Husume side, although they looked partially buried by the new snow. Be careful out there.

Pow11 is spot on with the snow getting warmed up by the end of the day, probably not worth it for tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by StuntCok View Post
    Splat did tell me he liked his pussy like he liked his ski boots. I guess he meant dank, stinky and a bit packed out.

I actually forgot a little how good riding powder is, till this morning, damn that was good, and it's May ffs!

Got rocked by a size 1.5/2? bottom of Luan's Leap (sp?), that straight shot looker's right of cougar chutes.
    It was slabbing really good up top and kicking up nice pow smoke sliding over the cliff band to the bottom, but they weren't very deep. As I g-out the bottom, a nicely loaded 60cm crown pulled out as I scrub speed and tossed me. I was fine, just twisted out of my skis. But then my buddy comes down after and I'd just put one ski on. The rest released and I see the remaining 60 cm slab heading straight for me. Got tackled, did a couple of washing machine tumbles, light/dark/light, ate some snow but just thought of rolling with it and standing up on one of the tumbles, ended up fine. A few things were learned. I should have communicated much better telling them to wait and not assume he wouldn't turn above where I was. They couldn't see or hear me very well from above. And when the rest slid, I should have yelled avalanche to let the others know, could have easily been in a weird position stuck and buried even though it was only a few feet deep, it was pretty heavy snow. Last but not least, I do ski with my avalung on deep days, didn't have it today but I'm sure I had plenty of time to stick in my mouth while watching that slab sliding towards me. Bottom line I was pretty complacent because I was thinking, this is so in-bounds, wtf? But not many people go to this spot, that's why we go, it gets nicely loaded.

Lesson learned. When's the next storm?

^good to meet you yesterday up the Chimeny, Mark. Surfs up apron was probably the best snow all day. Super loaded and it didn't move. Face shots in May is FKNA!

chute off double rubble

surfs up apron

CBC

opening up lone pine

got this shot from GE of some random gettin rad in swiss cheese/secret bowl

Last edited by powder11; 05-24-2011 at 03:20 PM.

Yesterday rocked because I got to ski pow on my birthday!! And a sleeper day I was praying and had a feeling that this would be the year. You can thank yours truly

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    ^good to meet you yesterday up the Chimeny, Mark.
    Nice running into you and Max, was bound to happen once I got my butt over to Blackcomb.
    Sweet shots.

Glad to hear you're ok mark!

Looked like a great may day!

Quote Originally Posted by khyber.pass View Post
    I believe the real answer to this is: it depends on where Patrol draws the boundary ropes. If the terrain is now OB then it's legit. If it's still inbounds it's PC and if they catch you, done deal.

Right now it's a grey area with Showcase t-bar closed. Where is boundary? My beef with WB Patrol is that they could be making this a bit more clear given they are now dishing out lifetime bans.

Anyway, FUCKING GREAT MORNING!
    According to my conversation with some senior patrollers in Horstman hut last week, this is NOT the case. They all pointed out that PC is PERMANENTLY closed, no exceptions. If it's on the tenure, is designated PC, you can get your pass pulled anytime no matter what the boundary is. They do agree that there is confusion out there between ski area boundary, temporary boundary and PC. So have others been told any different from patrol? I hate beating a dead horse but I also was under a different impression until I asked patrol.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark-R View Post
    According to my conversation with some senior patrollers in Horstman hut last week, this is NOT the case. They all pointed out that PC is PERMANENTLY closed, no exceptions. If it's on the tenure, is designated PC, you can get your pass pulled anytime no matter what the boundary is. They do agree that there is confusion out there between ski area boundary, temporary boundary and PC. So have others been told any different from patrol? I hate beating a dead horse but I also was under a different impression until I asked patrol.
    i asked the same thing, got the same answer. decided best not to push my luck, particularly has they have been pretty anal this year. would rather ride the bike park all summer then ski showcase once and get caught...

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    i asked the same thing, got the same answer. decided best not to push my luck, particularly has they have been pretty anal this year. would rather ride the bike park all summer then ski showcase once and get caught...
    thrice this - asked the head forecaster (after maaaybe having skied showcase...), much of the same reply - PC is PC, never more never less. Would "we" spend all day trying to chase you down, probably not, but its still PC and that means PC rules apply.
    as far as I know- This is a FULL YEAR SUSPENSION - means, you lose your pass today, you get it back next may 14th.

Just to report on conditions, today was a slop-fest. There was a corn sweet spot on south facing aspects around the top of Jersey, but north facing windloaded aspects (like Cafe Chutes - nothing higher was open)were deep shmoo and anything lower down had a lot of water content. It's been above freezing over night to the top of the mountain so the alpine wasn't open today (including 7th), and I would imagine it stays that way until overnight temps drop. Spring skiing is in full effect for the moment. The pond skim on Zig Zag has not opened up yet.

Not sure if this will show up

http://www.facebook.com/video/video....76626&comments

Natural wet slides - Hat Pass [HQ]
    by Lee Lau (videos)
    0:29
    At 4.30pm stability hit a critical point on a N facing wind loaded slope which had about 20cms new of snow and then was rain-soaked. Max and I saw about 14- 15 natural slides on this face in the space of 10 minutes. The flat path we're on is pretty far from the slope so it was just an interesting observational exercise

That lawyer comment made me laugh. You're going to get a lawyer so you can ski 6 turns in Showcase?

Quote Originally Posted by khyber.pass View Post
    ^^^ Just an FYI that lawyers are always at play here (in court or out) when deaths and injuries occur on/off mountain. Note the recent KHMR debacle.
    That made absolutely no fucking sense

^^ Frankly it's not worth my time explaining why I was discussing such things with WB if this will be the tone of discussion -- ie lowest-common denominator internet spray. Unlike all of you, I've done my research. Lee, you should know better. It's been worthy enough for publication, so I'll let it rest.

** Removed posts on this topic. It's not worth mentioning it here when you'll see it in print.
    Last edited by khyber.pass; 05-18-2011 at 11:50 AM.
    == | slacktopia | ==
    http://twitch.tv/fugitivephilo
    still bangin' beats