Page 5 of 67 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jongsinwhistler View Post
    'GUZZLERS DU CUM'
    Hahah!...

The tree's surrounding gun barrels were ridiculously today. Waist deep shots from top to bottom. Wow it was good.

Great conditions today. I hope some mags got some!!
    It was quite reactive today on avalanche control, hazard was bumped to HIGH.
    Expect a full round of AC on Whistler tomorrow, hopefully leading to a mid day opening of some avalanche closures for hiking. It will still be out of bounds.

I'm hearing about a possible Peak Chair opening next weekend.

Base is still only a metre! Take it easy. Ski out to the valley looks like it's possible now.
    Anybody ski out today?

Quote Originally Posted by Clownshoe View Post
    Great conditions today. I hope some mags got some!!
    It was quite reactive today on avalanche control, hazard was bumped to HIGH.
    Expect a full round of AC on Whistler tomorrow, hopefully leading to a mid day opening of some avalanche closures for hiking. It will still be out of bounds.

I'm hearing about a possible Peak Chair opening next weekend.

Base is still only a metre! Take it easy. Ski out to the valley looks like it's possible now.
    Anybody ski out today?
    thanks for the info shawn....I played safe and downloaded, saw some knuckle draggers at about timing flats, definitely didn't look horrible to that point, below was much thinner/bonier.....maybe see ya up there tomorrow

ski down to base 2 was iffy.. rock skis+
    wait for it to be packed down

I was up Blackcomb yesterday and it was pretty bare. Was originally going to go up today but decided to ace that plan due to lack of coverage. End of next week is looking good though. I'll be up there again for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by ROCKS View Post
    Are there any more lifts opening up this weekend? How does patrol feel about safety in the alpine? Sunday might be some good breaks in the visibility.
    Both you guys who've asked this question might also find it helpful to subscribe to the Whistler avalanche forecast at www.avalanche.ca

Skinned up to Lesser Flute today to the saddle NNW of the Flute- Lesser Flute col. Remarkably audible (think hollow BOOM) sound on the skin track at about 1900m. HS between 95 - 105 on this NW slope (our track was on the low angle skin track approach so the settlement did not induce involuntary loss of bowel control. Ski pen while breaking trail was between 40 - 60cms (deeper when approaching trees) possibly indicating near ground faceting.

To summarize it was more than a bit spooky although the ridiculously light (for whistler) snow made it worthwhile . Meadowskipped out on shallow angle slopes

Lee, are you SURE that whump wasn't Sharon's chicken sandwich special?

Bruce Tremper never mentioned about how being back of the pack also (usually) means being downwind.
    == | slacktopia | ==
    http://twitch.tv/fugitivephilo
    still bangin' beats

Today did NOT suck

Unreal laps in Lower McConkey's today...

sweet day

first phalanx of the year!

stairmaster was a slog, and there is no high traverse from corona to the stairmastr apron, best to access by skiing spearhead and skinning the flats. Heck of a hike.

Was very cold (>-15) and our cameras all died, so its memories from this point on.

hiked all weekend starting with crystal, then 7th, then blackcomb glacier.. at's are being replaced so it was all bootpacking. gorgeous weekend, unreal snow.. can't ask for much better.

Also, dug a snowpit on the glacier (just below the wind lip, north aspect). Found the top 30cm of storm snow on consolidated snow and two weaker layers (finger test) ~2 and 3 feet deep. Compression test failed only the storm snow after the first elbow hit, consistent with trends observed by BCSP. Friends on Whistler found the same layers.

Last edited by endure; 11-29-2010 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schemeboat View Post
    first phalanx of the year!

stairmaster was a slog, and there is no high traverse from corona to the stairmastr apron, best to access by skiing spearhead and skinning the flats. Heck of a hike.

Was very cold (>-15) and our cameras all died, so its memories from this point on.
    Any issues with slots around don't swill?

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    Unreal laps in Lower McConkey's today...

Had a good day up there on Sunday though, some good laps from hiking up towards the peak, and a wicked early morning lap over to gun barrels that was better than I was expecting.
    Last edited by ROCKS; 11-29-2010 at 12:33 PM.
    The skills of evaluating evidence, posing questions and answering them, of writing, of mobilizing information in order to make an argument. I think all of that is important in a democratic society if people are actually going to be active citizens - Eric Foner

Quote Originally Posted by ROCKS View Post
    I ski Whistler and this area all the time, but have never been 100% sure what's called what. The part where you hike up off Route 86 into the trees (right before it starts down the fast part back to Franz's) is that considered McConkey's or million dollar ridge? I've just never really confirmed what stuff was called around there.

Had a good day up there on Sunday though, some good laps from hiking up towards the peak, and a wicked early morning lap over to gun barrels that was better than I was expecting.
    I think the area you're referring to is called McConkey's Trees, which start below Highway 86 below the bottom of West Bowl.

I'm referring to Lower McConkey's, which I think is a marked run. It's the big, open gully to skier's right of the Harmony Chair, just to the left of Gun Barrels. It was about a 5 minute sidestep/traverse to get there but that was enough to keep it fresh for most of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    I think the area you're referring to is called McConkey's Trees, which start below Highway 86 below the bottom of West Bowl.

I'm referring to Lower McConkey's, which I think is a marked run. It's the big, open gully to skier's right of the Harmony Chair, just to the left of Gun Barrels. It was about a 5 minute sidestep/traverse to get there but that was enough to keep it fresh for most of the day.
    Yeah, that makes sense. That area was good indeed. I had some great laps down gun barrels. Was relatively un-touched.
    The skills of evaluating evidence, posing questions and answering them, of writing, of mobilizing information in order to make an argument. I think all of that is important in a democratic society if people are actually going to be active citizens - Eric Foner

Quote Originally Posted by roadgap View Post
    Any issues with slots around don't swill?
    Not as exposed anymore, however, a sz 2, storm (40cm), popped out in both entrances into Don't Swill and ran about 100m.

That being said, the slots on the spearhead were looking mighty deep!
    Last edited by Schemeboat; 11-29-2010 at 02:55 PM.

W/B should keep the alpine lifts closed all season. They could save some serious coin and we could all enjoy extended pow days!
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

^ agreed

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    W/B should keep the alpine lifts closed all season. They could save some serious coin and we could all enjoy extended pow days!
    Don't think patrol would enjoy digging out 20-30 bodies every pow day. SOOOOO many people hiking and skinning up with no Avy stuff.

But it would be rad for the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Don't think patrol would enjoy digging out 20-30 bodies every pow day. SOOOOO many people hiking and skinning up with no Avy stuff.

same thing happens all season long up to east col, spearhead, and backside of flute... should be a requirement imo.

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post

I sat around waiting for them to flip the sign on Pika's on Saturday afternoon. I'd estimate of the 20ish people hanging out there, around 7 or 8 had packs on. Maybe not even that many actually.

The lemming effect is in full force. People give you that stupid smile and say "oi mate, mind if I follow?" with out a clue as to potential consequences. I asked one kangaroo the other day what the locals back in oz say when some barney without a clue paddles out on a dangerous break. No reply at all.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller