Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post

Anyone who doesn't do this will discover their pass is hotlisted when they get to the lift
    this should provide some quality entertainment
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

time to gloat... boomer bowl was better than I've ever skied it. Waist deep BLOWER all the way down through gun barrels. No sloppy ending at all. Mind you, thats where the base stops, but those turns rivaled any mid season day I've had. Most of the stuff below roundhouse was sketchy blower on no base and turned to complete shit after 2 runs. If they get the alpine open, it will be fucking awesome.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    time to gloat... boomer bowl was better than I've ever skied it. Waist deep BLOWER all the way down through gun barrels.
    I just knew these sorts of reports were inevitable once I made the decision to not drive up for the opening. You're welcome.
    "A witty saying proves nothing."

nice.. heading up tomorrow. were the hollywood signs open or closed? same question for pika's. debating a peak to creek for the end of the day (rock skis of course)

time to gloat...
    Sounds like we missed a good one. Ah well.

Dammit all! Hopefully there is something left tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by endure View Post
    nice.. heading up tomorrow. were the hollywood signs open or closed? same question for pika's. debating a peak to creek for the end of the day (rock skis of course)
    peak to creek would be a very bad call.....met Pulver on the lift this am, did 4 laps and peaced out to work when the lines got long...

From the WB Avalanche Advisory:

A layer of facets has also been observed just above the ground in some locations. Expect the cold temperatures to cause the snowpack to become weak and faceted, raising a red flag once buried by future snowfalls.
    Not so stoked for that...Looks like it might be another upside down snowpack year

Can't wait to get out tomorrow though. Congrats to those who got out today!

Quote Originally Posted by Heymski173 View Post
    Not so stoked for that...Looks like it might be another upside down snowpack year
    It's still mid november, no reason to freak out. Lots of big PNW storms yet to come, including the inevitable pineapple or two.

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Sounds like we missed a good one. Ah well.
    You missed a good couple of runs, but thats about it. The Ricky Bobby ("if you're not first, you're last") rule was in full effect. Anyone not in the first gondola cycle probably had a much different opinion on the day.

Skiing tomorrow will be like showing up to a kegger at 3am after all the beer is gone, the slutty girls have already gone to bed, the floor is covered in puke/piss and the only people still there are tripping on acid.

Quote Originally Posted by t.odd View Post
    peak to creek would be a very bad call.....met Pulver on the lift this am, did 4 laps and peaced out to work when the lines got long...
    I hiked up to solar coaster last weekend and it was definitely a bunch of grass/rocks from wizard down to ~base2, but doable.. which made me think that the low FL snow in the past few days may make it a little nicer. ah well

and yea.. these cold temps give me chills with depth hoar possibilities haunting us the rest of the year.. fingers crossed nothing major develops

Quote Originally Posted by endure View Post
    and yea.. these cold temps give me chills with depth hoar possibilities haunting us the rest of the year.. fingers crossed nothing major develops
    looks like warm temps and rain next later next week, so hopefully that will wash out any nasty surface hoar that forms during this cold snap.

Skiing tomorrow will be like showing up to a kegger at 3am after all the beer is gone, the slutty girls have already gone to bed, the floor is covered in puke/piss and the only people still there are tripping on acid.
    aaaaahahahahah! awesome!

^^ which is when to show up for the LSD hippie sexytimes!

Today was the first day I ditched opening day in three years.

@Clownshoes: How's the slots on the WH glaciers? Anything open ready to devour me whole?
    == | slacktopia | ==
    http://twitch.tv/fugitivephilo
    still bangin' beats

I'm doing an avy course up there this weekend and am happy to hear that the snow should be pretty good.

good fun! - thanks winter.

Just got back. Really a good solid opening day, solid early inbounds, some tremendous snow if you skin/hike up pika's towards harmony. We had some really really nice snow dropping in a bit past the horseshoes.

Also, 90% of the people hiking have no avy gear/experience and I definitely saw some lines I wouldn't have been comfortable skiing with tracks down them. I'm not sure how much A.C. has been done in sun bowl for instance, but if its past the boundary I would still be quite careful. That being said, if you play it safe, definitely tour because there's no good snow left that I could find within the lifts.

You missed a good couple of runs, but thats about it. The Ricky Bobby ("if you're not first, you're last") rule was in full effect. Anyone not in the first gondola cycle probably had a much different opinion on the day.

Working this weekend so skipping out on the whole kegger.

Will be up for the Blackcomb opener.

an awesome opener up there today. Nice meeting you t.odd

Hit Creekside instead of the village gondi, which was an awesome choice. Got there at maybe 7 or so and stood in the singles line for 30 mins before the couple of people in front of me realized that we all were hanging way back. The whole singles lane to the lift was empty in front of us, all the way around the whole crowd. So, everyone marched around the maze to the front. We found 4 people chilling up at the front, wondering why it'd taken so long for the line to fill up. Loved it, I was 7th in line! Shortly after that I heard my favorite word's a WB lifty can ever say to me: "You already got scanned right?" hahaha Answer: oh yeah!

Anyways had some real nice runs down Red early, first run was just fucking awesome untracked. Poked around here and there. Finished up with a couple laps off the Pika's hike. As powder11 says Boomer was real good. had to ski it a bit careful, but I caught a nice deep chute all the way through gunbarrels too. Here's a few lousy light pics:

first run of the day

pika's hike

up top
    ‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›

Quote Originally Posted by khyber.pass View Post

@Clownshoes: How's the slots on the WH glaciers? Anything open ready to devour me whole?
    I haven't seen any crevasses this year in Glacier Bowl and Whistler Bowl, but I haven't had a real good look around up there yet.

On Blackcomb last week there was a couple open crevasses (top of the Blowhole and Don't Swill)

Opening day was sick! Some great stashes to be had. Goooo winter!

That was 2 awesome days. Got on the 5th gondi yesterday and had 4 laps of untracked blower with no lines at the green chair with a good rest of the day. Skinned up to the peak today and skied Whistler bowl to west cirque to doom and gloom, completely untracked at 1pm. Faceshots all the way down to highway 86, probably my best early season run ever. The sharks are lurking but avoidable. I'm spent, in the best way possible.

Quote Originally Posted by filthyfrenchbum View Post
    That was 2 awesome days. Got on the 5th gondi yesterday and had 4 laps of untracked blower with no lines at the green chair with a good rest of the day. Skinned up to the peak today and skied Whistler bowl to west cirque to doom and gloom, completely untracked at 1pm. Faceshots all the way down to highway 86, probably my best early season run ever. The sharks are lurking but avoidable. I'm spent, in the best way possible.

Hmmm, Whistler Bowl to West Cirque? Not Possible.

Today did not suck
    Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Powder

had two solid laps of christmas trees... plenty of face shots and no rock issues to be had...great way to start the season!