Page 12 of 67 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    I was skiing Harmony laps today so can't confirm the following. The grapevine reported that West Cirque slid to rock during AC. Anyone confirm?

OH, and still pretty awesome today.

Quote Originally Posted by skieast View Post
    I was skiing Harmony laps today so can't confirm the following. The grapevine reported that West Cirque slid to rock during AC. .
    Well to Nov sh layer.

Boomer also failed to that same layer. Crown was 1.5 - 2?? m

Thumbs down to the loudmouth on the liftline who perpetually heckles and hassles the patrollers while they're working to open the terrain. One would think the sight of a large event like that would be somewhat self-educating.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Well to Nov sh layer.

Boomer also failed to that same layer. Crown was 1.5 - 2?? m

Thumbs down to the loudmouth on the liftline who perpetually heckles and hassles the patrollers while they're working to open the terrain. One would think the sight of a large event like that would be somewhat self-educating.
    Lee, well said. The same loudmouth asked me when the lift would open. My semi-sarcastic 'It opens when it opens' wasn't well received. And the crown in Kaleidoscope was really impressive as well.

A question for the more experienced with snowpack, do you predict this storm system will take care of things by causing slides down to the nov weak layer and warming things up, or are further problems yet to come?

Quote Originally Posted by khyber.pass View Post
    Mmm, found some fresh pillows there in CBC after running into ya'.

Still quite a few xmas trees to dodge -- we zagged right where you zigged left.
    I looked for you for a bit but figured I went down a different way. I got icy-waterfalled out, aka went too far right across that cliff band that is usually all pillows, then further down hit a stump, double ski-jaculated and kneed myself in the face with a bloody nose... Fun times nonetheless.

Waited a half hour for Spankys today and got 1st tracks down Diamond and then Buttface(?), or whatever the high traverse skier's left in there is called. Even better was getting very first tracks down Sapphire One.

I'm pooched and satisfied.

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    A question for the more experienced with snowpack, do you predict this storm system will take care of things by causing slides down to the nov weak layer and warming things up, or are further problems yet to come?
    The sign at the top of Spanky's said there's been 5 slides to the ground in the past 2 days. Not sure where, but it sure sounds scary.

Quote Originally Posted by skieast View Post
    I was skiing Harmony laps today so can't confirm the following. The grapevine reported that West Cirque slid to rock during AC. Anyone confirm?

OH, and still pretty awesome today.
    West Cirque slab that slid was around 2ft from what i could tell from below, the run out was pretty big also. Lucky it slid during avi control, i was heading strait there for my 1st, and know at least 5 others who were planning the same.

The experience today was above average. As anticipated trees held the most snow with open bowls having 50% less snow. Either temperatures rose during the day or snow density increased as chopped up pow became firm. Untouched snow though was adequate for needs

Quote Originally Posted by filthyfrenchbum View Post
    Waited a half hour for Spankys today and got 1st tracks down Diamond and then Buttface(?), or whatever the high traverse skier's left in there is called. Even better was getting very first tracks down Sapphire One.

I'm pooched and satisfied.
    Assuming you were the Frenchy at the front of the bootpack? I was right behind you. Good times!
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

Solid day, the spanks lineup was good times, first tracks down left ruby followed by sapphire. The trees really held the goods tho

patrol must be on the edge atm with all the slides. props to them all for getting it open for us.

From this week's Pique:

Heroes in Harvey's

If not for the quick and selfless actions of two skiers Saturday I wouldn't be writing this letter today.

December 4 was one of the best early season days in recent memory, tons of fresh snow, cold temperatures and blue skies. After two quick groomers I waited about 45 minutes for the Harmony Chair to open for the season; I was sixth in line, which meant I'd be on the second chair up the hill.

After we dismounted the chair I headed to Harvey's; my buddy headed further right towards Robertson's. This is an area that we have skied hundreds of time over the last 30 years.

As I headed towards the last pitch on Harvey's my downhill ski released prematurely. Before I could react I found myself head down in a tree well. I knew I was in trouble immediately.

My buddy was nowhere near me and I was completely immobilized. Upside down, snow began to fill around my face. I knew the seriousness of the situation. As I struggled I became more and more immersed, snow began to fill my gasping mouth. I wondered how long it would be before I blacked out. I knew the expanse of the area and I knew the chance of rescue was slim. I knew I was dead.

I thought, "Is this how it happens? Forty-four years old and in a f*cking tree well?" I thought of my parents and my girlfriend Taryn. I couldn't believe I was going to put them through this.

The next thing I remember is being awoken from a deep sleep by the yelling of some stranger. I was disorientated, blood was dripping from my lip. After several moments, I collected my breath and thoughts. I realized that the two men attending to me had pulled me from the tree well. I was alive. It's impossible to describe the feeling, of waking up to find you are alive.

Harvey's is expansive and gnarly terrain. A pair of ski boots sticking out from a tree well is not overtly obvious. As luck would have it, they noticed my inverted legs as they skied by.

My rescuers later told me that I was blue, non-responsive and lifeless when they pulled me out of the tree well. The attending physician speculated that they discovered me anywhere from five to 15 minutes after I passed out.

These two men, Brad Tkachuk and Eamon Sallam, are heroes. It must have taken great physical exertion, strength and effort to free me. The snow was deep, the terrain steep. I question whether a less competent duo would have been successful.

The actions of these two men saved my life. They are heroes - no other way to put it. They risked their own welfare by rescuing me. What do you say or do for someone who has saved your life?

If it wasn't for having two healthy, strong, snow-smart, saviors I wouldn't be writing this letter today.

The attending ski patrol were tremendous and my heartfelt acknowledgement goes out to them as well. Noah was with me from recovery to clinic and was very supportive. You understand the magnitude of the situation when the ski patrollers are shaking their heads and calling me the luckiest guy on the hill.

The reason for this letter is threefold.

Firstly, to remind folks of the danger of tree wells (www.treewelldeepsnowsafety.com). I was well aware of their dangers but clearly it helped little when I was engulfed. Death in this case would have been due to snow immersion asphyxiation - non-avalanche-related snow immersion death (NARSID). It's estimated that 90 per cent of those stuck in tree wells cannot self rescue.

Secondly, while it's obvious that skiing with a buddy is imperative it is little help if you aren't within eyesight of one another.

Thirdly, and most importantly I want to acknowledge the efforts of Brad Tkachuk and Eamon Sallam. These men need to be commended for their actions. They have an open tab with me at Apres! I encourage others to treat these two men with respect, reverence and perhaps a free beer if opportunity presents. Brad and Eamon are true heroes and their friends, family, colleagues and acquaintances should feel proud to have these remarkable men in their lives. I know I do.

Sean Hirtle

Vancouver/Whistler

way to not die!! you're a lucky man, kudos to your saviours for sure
    ‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    The experience today was above average. As anticipated trees held the most snow with open bowls having 50% less snow. Either temperatures rose during the day or snow density increased as chopped up pow became firm. Untouched snow though was adequate for needs

nice pics!

why such a clinical post!? it's TGR for gods sake! spending time here is on par with hanging out and talking shit at the mall. next time say something like "it was fucking awesome. look at all the rad shit we skied and you didn't. suck it muthafuckerz!"
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by PulverSchwein View Post
    way to not die!! you're a lucky man, kudos to your saviours for sure
    clownshoe is a patroller on whist, think he was just quoting the pique article as a reminder for everyone....definitely had me on notice on mil$ yesterday aft...

Another sweet pow day

Blackcomb Glacier smooth as a baby's ass
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

"it was fucking awesome. look at all the rad shit we skied and you didn't. suck it muthafuckerz"

180 cms in Cowboy Ridge today. Some windloading at the top of the ridge with some windslab about 20 - 30 down. Snow was getting dense towards end of day

edit = puking now but going to turn to rain schmoo. Sorry weekenders

get ready, its coming

Rain, rain, go away.... Raining up to alpine, alpine closed due to wind. If it's snowing in the alpine _and_ said alpine opens tomorrow, there might be a couple feet of new stuff to ski

you lie --- there are secret stashes of neck deep blower for sick brahs to d-spin backflip air jordan. It's epic

Quote Originally Posted by filthyfrenchbum View Post
    I looked for you for a bit but figured I went down a different way. I got icy-waterfalled out, aka went too far right across that cliff band that is usually all pillows, then further down hit a stump, double ski-jaculated and kneed myself in the face with a bloody nose... Fun times nonetheless.
    Geezus. Ya I know where you went --- if you head right you can scoot around those cliffs and head toward pillows underneath the first separating ridge in CBC. Most of it was scraped out by boarders through the narrow, but some ok lines to be had.

Not quite enough snow in there yet, would've been better hitting Outer Limits / Ridgerunner trees which were untouched.!

Yesterday = classic 7th reservoir trees with a few stout maggots, hopping pillows, surprisingly good coverage.

Hilarious gongshow of gapers attempting to ride upper windlips & rocks on 7th. Not so hilarious that a spineboard was out with a 6 patroller showdown at the bottom.

Anyone chance West Cirque over the crown? I backed off once I saw the sign. Didn't want to find out what it meant on the way down, though the wack of snowboarder scrapes could've meant a soft Oz landing (with deepest respect to the Deeper crowd, of course).
    == | slacktopia | ==
    http://twitch.tv/fugitivephilo
    still bangin' beats

Quote Originally Posted by khyber.pass View Post
    Yesterday = classic 7th reservoir trees with a few stout maggots, hopping pillows, surprisingly good coverage.

Hilarious gongshow of gapers attempting to ride upper windlips & rocks on 7th. Not so hilarious that a spineboard was out with a 6 patroller showdown at the bottom.
    As we came up the chair on 7th opening we saw people blasting down those rocks, even with patrollers verbally warning people to stay on cat tracks, instead they immediately dropped in full speed, durrrr.

Managed to stumble across some of those pillow fields skiers right of the chair about the road into 7th, don't know the area at all so I was pretty happy with the 3 runs I did there, then one run down False Face to the shoulder of Faller's Pillow after which was surprisingly good soft snow, and luckily didn't hit any rocks.

Scary about the tree well, hard to remind yourself to keep buddies close when it's good skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    Assuming you were the Frenchy at the front of the bootpack? I was right behind you. Good times!
    Nope, I could hear them all but I was about 10 behind. It's a goddamn frog invasion.

Randomly enough, the day that this guy got caught in the tree well I rode the chair with the dudes that pulled him out. They were rightfully stoked on their good samaritan act.

What a wet one today. Glad the last day of the volly training was done inside. Fingers crossed for freezing level dropping magic!

7th opening was fun.

very pleasant laps of 7th yesterday! reso trees to with that sketch drop to cattrack - very untouched and very knee deep.

CBC on the other hand - got washed out at the waterfalls and had to abort and downclimb. still a bit early for full-on charging. That being said, above and below were tasty. Watch out through there, may need to bring an old climbing rope and toss in a helping hand.