Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Scarpa Mobe - grand unifying thread

Brings together this thread from pfuffenmeister which had questions and some impressions

Another thread with some pictures but not much impressions started by yellofin

Marshalolson had some great observations but I can't find them. Anyone? I'll update this intro to include his observations.

Next post will have some pictures. Will upload then edit with some commentary

New Scarpa "dynamic power" neoprene strap (no plans to sell as an after-market add-on)

Buckle hardware. Cammed action. Removeable with tools.

Scarpa "Skywalk" sole. Not interchangeable with alpine blocks. Dynafit-licensed fittings

Walk mode lever. Scalloped ridges on rear cuff to add stiffness

Traditional tongue design. Also shown is black touring tongue

Liners are made by Intuition - closest equivalent is the Intuition Luxury Liner

Removable boot board. Hard stops in the interior of the boot

Last edited by LeeLau; 11-14-2010 at 10:43 AM.

COMPARISON SHOTS

Ruler lines up with horizontal plane. From L to R: Atomic alpine boot, Scarpa Shaka (women's version of Skookum), Garmont Megaride, Dynafit ZZeus, Scarpa Mobe). Mobe and Atomic are tallest. ZZeus's rear cuff is approx 5mm shorter. Megarides' rear cuff is approx 10mm shorter

Mobe vs Shaka

Mobe vs Atomic

Mobe vs Megaride

Mobe vs ZZeus
    Last edited by LeeLau; 11-12-2010 at 09:29 PM.

[QUOTE=RiderX;3056274]Another thread from Hop

[QUOTE]

Thanks. From this article comes this review:

Scarpa Typhoon and Mobe
    We review these two boots together because we realized they are very similar, in the good and in the bad. In fact, the boot shell is almost identical, so is the pebax plastic. Differences: Thyphoon has interchangeable vibram soles but no dynafit inserts; the Mobe has dyna inserts but the skywalk sole does not meet the standards for alpine bindings.
    The mobe has the new scarpa neoprene booster strap (very user friendly and nice at touch), the typhoon has the classic old style scarpa strap. Another subtle but relevant difference regards lower buckles: the mobe has them drilled on light but poweful metal supports, so that once locked the mobe seems to serve slim feet a bit better than the typhoon.
    The comfort in these large-volumed boots is 4 to 5 stars depending by the size of the neck of your foot. The nervous pebax plastic and the large tongue interfering with the buckles, though, render the get-in manoeuvre not very user-friendly. The Mobe and the Typhoon drive well burly skis (no relevant differences were noted in the function of the two strap types), but overall the feeling is of deaf boots. Aggro muscle skiers who need critical mass will probably be happy, finisseurs should better gravitate towards more vibrant boots like the maestrale or the TLT5. Do not forget, also, that the walk mode of Typhoon and Mobe, compared to Virus, TLT and Maestrale, is almost non existent.

Has anyone besides those listed above actually skied these yet? I've had a pair sitting under my bed but not yet had the chance to shred... I'm going to try and get out at verbier tomorrow for some turns and if I do, I will report back.

used the Mobe today for first time here in Cortina, Dolomites, Italy. I was using the following combo: Mobe + DPS Wailer 112/190 and Dynafit FT.
    I found the boots to be quite stiff which was exactly what I wanted, lot stiffer than the Radiums I was using the past year. They feel very snug (I have slim feet and that was my concern number one). They are comfy, even though as a first day, at the end of the day, my feet were happy to come out from the boots (understandable).
    overall and for what it is worth, my opinion is extremely positive. Conditions were: very warm (ten degrees celsius at 2400 mts) and snow was kind of slushy.
    by the way, the skis are fantastic too.

Red face

Sadly, the sole is in rubber but is not made by vibram.
    It's the skywalk sole of the skookum.

Quote Originally Posted by powdherb View Post
    I've had a pair sitting under my bed but not yet had the chance to shred....
    What did you do with the dead hooker that was under there previously?
    "Buy the Fucking Plane Tickets!"
    -- Jack Tackle

I used her body to send cash and drugs back to the virgin islands where I have all my off-shore accounts.

The boots are an acceptable replacement. Hopefully I wont have to scrap them too when they become useless.

Quote Originally Posted by verbier61 View Post
    Sadly, the sole is in rubber but is not made by vibram.
    It's the skywalk sole of the skookum.
    thx Verbier. I brainfarted. Corrected.

i am really impressed with the mobe i have 4 days of skiing mine, nothing huge, but 2-3 hrs of skiing each day at least, some technical scrambling, and some steep pow skiing. also 1 day of groomer action at abasin.

1. the walk/ski mode works sick. no play in the mechanism while skiing. stoked about that. not a huge amount of rearward movement, but way better than an alpine boot.

2. ski performance is top notch. nice progressive flex. stiff. very stiff. stiffer than my 130 nordicas, but less effected by temp changes.

3. fit: heel pocket is only OK. i still need to work on getting this dialed. width - about 102mm i think. nice and comfy. good toe room. i raised my foot slightly in the shell to get a tighter fit in the shell. overall goot for sure. not using the luxury liner. prefer a powerwrap. might try the plug liner to get a little more performance out of the boot.

4. strap. i really like the psuedo booster strap. really nice.

5. wear. 30 minutes of rock scrambling beat the piss out of these boots. will post pics later in the week.

6. performance. if i can get the fit dialed to my satisfaction, i will ski these full time, inboudns and out. if i cannot get my heel to move around less, i will ski them hard in the pow, but not inbopunds. still feels slightly vauge and the shell is not quite as precise as i would like charging hardpack.

all i have so far.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

also, i have hated every other AT boot i have ever seen (other than the garmont radiums, but those didn't fit my fore-foot right), so i am VERY impressed with these things so far.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

ok, a little boot lab going on here.

-switch to a plug liner (really boost torsional stiffness) and get a better fit out of the boot. use 2mm liner and then raise the foot 5mm with bootboards to achieve desired foot placement in shell.
    -add a 3/8 heel lift to get some more lean, and raise the heel into the desired place of the heel pocket
    -ditch the small spoiler and add a full length spoiler (all the way below the bottom of the walk mode)in the rear cuff to further support it and reduce deflection of the boot.
    -would like to test the black tongue as well.

wicked.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

marshall thx. The last is 104mm at forefoot so its a bit wider than most boots. Do you want a black touring tongue. Scarpa guys are on a sales meeting early next week but they can probably get one to you - pm me if you don't have a contact there and i'll get you the contact.

Man, that is a serious looking boot. Reminds me of when I used to tele on my Alicos with shoelaces and the Terminator was introduced. I was confused and frightened. Didn't Dawson say the wave of "beef boots" had crested? Holy Shit!

Yet in Lee's photo it isn't much higher profile than a Megaride.
    "Buy the Fucking Plane Tickets!"
    -- Jack Tackle

Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrummer View Post
    Man, that is a serious looking boot. Reminds me of when I used to tele on my Alicos with shoelaces and the Terminator was introduced. I was confused and frightened. Didn't Dawson say the wave of "beef boots" had crested? Holy Shit!

Yet in Lee's photo it isn't much higher profile than a Megaride.
    That's the funny thing - the Megaride's a noodle but its about the same height in profile as other stiffer boots. I think the fixation on boot height is a red herring and that stiffness has to do with things other than boot height. Its probably the case that a high boot height a boot look beefy - which is what consumers want to see.

they are only ~1/2 lb heavier per foot than maestrals.... which is pretty sick actually.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Thumbs down

Tried these on.

Felt lower volume than Spirit 4s in the forefoot (which is a good thing).

Like every Scarpa I've ever tried on, the heal pocket that is way too damn big, which makes them useless. I couldn't flex forward without movement in my heal.

To those of you who have these and are out skiing them, have you also been in a Typhoon? If so, do you agree with the review Lee posted that :

the boot shell is almost identical, so is the pebax plastic. Differences: Thyphoon has interchangeable vibram soles but no dynafit inserts; the Mobe has dyna inserts but the skywalk sole does not meet the standards for alpine bindings.
    The mobe has the new scarpa neoprene booster strap (very user friendly and nice at touch), the typhoon has the classic old style scarpa strap. Another subtle but relevant difference regards lower buckles: the mobe has them drilled on light but poweful metal supports, so that once locked the mobe seems to serve slim feet a bit better than the typhoon.
    I'm loving my Typhoons and although I probably won't be drinking any kool-aid for '10-'11, I'm thinking that I just may have to for '11-'12. I've got boosters on and rarely feel the need to snug down the front buckles very tight, so if the soles are the only real difference than I think I'm sold!

FWIW i have skied in jesters fine with the mobe also. would not "recommend" that, but they work fine. click in, toe will release etc.

i do agree that the heel pocket is ridiculous. but i don't question i can tune that into fitting nicely.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    marshall thx. The last is 104mm at forefoot so its a bit wider than most boots. Do you want a black touring tongue. Scarpa guys are on a sales meeting early next week but they can probably get one to you - pm me if you don't have a contact there and i'll get you the contact.
    Warning: Thread Drift!

Hey Lee, did you ever find out about a stiffer Maestrale tongue?

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    ok, a little boot lab going on here.

-switch to a plug liner (really boost torsional stiffness) and get a better fit out of the boot. use 2mm liner and then raise the foot 5mm with bootboards to achieve desired foot placement in shell.
    -add a 3/8 heel lift to get some more lean, and raise the heel into the desired place of the heel pocket
    -ditch the small spoiler and add a full length spoiler (all the way below the bottom of the walk mode)in the rear cuff to further support it and reduce deflection of the boot.
    -would like to test the black tongue as well.

wicked.
    I like these ideas!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by the_eleven View Post
    Warning: Thread Drift!

Hey Lee, did you ever find out about a stiffer Maestrale tongue?
    yah - just got an answer today. replied in Maestrale thread

104mm is music to my ears
    canīt quite see if those are quick-step inserts or not?
    nice info marshalolson,thx