Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Fucking helicopter parents

So I'm trying to rent this room in my house out, right, and several times I've gotten phone calls from peoples parents, I'm talking 24 year old guys parents. They are trying to find a place for their kid to live for the winter. Is your kid really that much of a fucking loser that they can't sack up and find their own god damn house? When I was 24 I had my shit together enough to do it for myself. Shit, I found my own place from the time I moved out of my college dorm. I don't want to live with your sack of shit skittle mafia kid if he can't be enough of an adult to find his own home, he sure as shit isn't going to have it together enough to pay rent and utilities on time.

Had to rant here so I didn't send a really smart ass reply off to this kids dad. Although I am considering sending him the link if the thread gets good. I almost replied back to him and the kid something along the lines of, "thats ok, If your 24 year old son still has to have his dad find him a place to live, it probably won't work."

I decided not to be a total cunt to a random stranger.

Down the valley a bit further on the good side of the 49th
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgnar View Post
    "thats ok, If your 24 year old son still has to have his dad find him a place to live, it probably won't work."

I decided not to be a total cunt to a random stranger.
    That's not being a cunt.... being a cunt is trying to foist your complete loser of a son off on some unsuspecting guy trying to rent out a room.

I once had someone's mommy call me for her sonny and I told her to just get him to call me. She kept insisting I answer a few questions first. I kept saying I really only want to deal directly with the person renting the room. She never got it. Why would I want to give her the details and never know how she paraphrased that important info to her sonny.

I love when they refer to their 20 somethings as their 'child'.
    Last edited by L7; 11-12-2010 at 08:51 AM.
    It's not so much the model year, it's the high mileage or meterage to keep the youth of Canada happy

They can't trust 'em enough to find their own place... but then the trust-fund the kid inherits is enough to make an honest person blush.
    o--/\
    --/(. \
    -/ .) ' \ go with respect, get to know your mountains
    /' (. ' |'\
    ' ' .) ' ,'

Try hiring or managing staff in a mountain town. I've had parents show up trying to spout off non-existent labor laws about how I can't fire their fuckwit kid for being caught sleeping on the job. It's like being the principal of a high school.
    Quote Originally Posted by StuntCok View Post
    Splat did tell me he liked his pussy like he liked his ski boots. I guess he meant dank, stinky and a bit packed out.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    Try hiring or managing staff in a mountain town.
    Or having parents come in asking about jobs for their college age kids. WTF? I can maybe see having a parent along if your kid is like 14, but a college kid. Some people...

"Kids" have it a lot different now than even 10 years ago (Im sure the generation before me said the same thing) I look over some of the papers my lady friend brings home from her students (college), its pretty obvious that accountability and effort is no longer taught to children. Either that or you can have a 3.75 GPA and be retarded where they come from. You know the same parents blame the teachers, fucking sad.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Yeah that is weak as hell. I think all parties involved would fare better in the future if daddy and spanky were called out on this one. Send him the link.

My wife is a grad student at an Ivy. She has gotten calls from parents saying that the next call would be from a lawyer if jr's grade was not changed, because a C is an unacceptable grade.
    Last edited by Tunco; 11-12-2010 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tief schnee View Post
    My wife is a grad student at an Ivy. She has gotten calls from parents saying that the next call would be from a lawyer if jr's because a C is an unacceptable grade.
    They are just trying to keep their kids out of gorges.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunco perfectly summarizing TGR View Post
    It is like Days of Our Lives', but with retards.

The parents have to call or the losers will never move out of the house. Now the kids even get free healthcare till they are 26 years old. Why move out? This attitude is promoted by the government from the President on down.

Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    The parents have to call or the losers will never move out of the house. Now the kids even get free healthcare till they are 26 years old. Why move out? This attitude is promoted by the government from the President on down.
    as usual, DBT is long on snarky comments and short on facts.

for the op, i dont see anything wrong with letting the parents know that since you're renting the room to their baby, you need to deal with him, not his parents. and in fact, parents contacting you for their son shows a lack of maturity in their son that you would hold against him as a potential roommate.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

I used to have a lot of college kids working for me, and got the same thing quite a bit. Usually a pretty big red flag. Jimmy is going to be late, or can Sally have this week off, or Little Chumster needs more hours. I told the parents that I can't discuss another adult's work situation with them - I wouldn't even acknowledge that they worked for me at all. That's a road you have to be clear that you simply will not go down. It's hard for a parent to make a case about why their offspring need special treatment when you refuse to acknowledge that you and the parent even have a premise for discussion.

I told the kids (adults) that in rare situations information from a third party can help me manage my business (so and so will be 15 minutes late), but it has absolutely no bearing on their employment outside of a real deal emergency -- good or bad. i.e. some stranger on the phone telling me that you need a day off or that you have to call off a shift doesn't mean jack shit to me unless you're stranded in antarctica or in a coma, and that I forget it as soon as I hang up the phone.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by fez View Post
    for the op, i dont see anything wrong with letting the parents know that since you're renting the room to their baby, you need to deal with him, not his parents. and in fact, parents contacting you for their son shows a lack of maturity in their son that you would hold against him as a potential roommate.
    This. It sounds like the parents need educating as much as the child does. Not that you're likely to be successful with that, since you're probably not the first to tell them to let their kid grow up.

And then find someone else who wants to rent your room.

At least you'll know that his parents won't be late with the rent check...
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    I used to have a lot of college kids working for me, and got the same thing quite a bit. Usually a pretty big red flag. Jimmy is going to be late, or can Sally have this week off, or Little Chumster needs more hours. I told the parents that I can't discuss another adult's work situation with them - I wouldn't even acknowledge that they worked for me at all. That's a road you have to be clear that you simply will not go down. It's hard for a parent to make a case about why their offspring need special treatment when you refuse to acknowledge that you and the parent even have a premise for discussion.

I told the kids (adults) that in rare situations information from a third party can help me manage my business (so and so will be 15 minutes late), but it has absolutely no bearing on their employment outside of a real deal emergency -- good or bad. i.e. some stranger on the phone telling me that you need a day off or that you have to call off a shift doesn't mean jack shit to me unless you're stranded in antarctica or in a coma, and that I forget it as soon as I hang up the phone.
    At a former job we had this guy (mid 40s) who would always have his wife call in sick for him. Fucker worked the overnights and his position absolutely required someone to be there, so I'd have to get on the horn and attempt the futile task of getting somebody to come in for an over night shift. Typically he called in no earlier than 2 hours before his shift started. 95% of the time, all called people would refuse, meaning someone already at work would be forced to work a double, volunteer first, if no takers then assigned based on seniority.
    In other words, this guy was seriously fucking whomever got stuck working a double and angering quite a few others who were being bothered/woken up at home (plus getting angry at me for calling), which is his right, if you're sick, you're sick, but man the fuck up and call in yourself. I never knew if he was very sick and couldn't call, not sick and not able to hide it, embarrassed or just straight up lazy. Whatever it was, it pissed me off.

Now I only have college students who work for me, they call in via text message or e-mail, but at least they give plenty of notice and (hopefully) are doing the communication themselves. I'm also very selective on which students to hire, because of horror stories like the ones mentioned in this thread, so I guess I just get the responsible ones. YMMV

there wa an article a while back and i forget where or magazine , but kids today don't leave from under their parents until roughly 26.....most cannot afford callege so parents pay for it , which is great of they can afford it , and most coming out of college can't get jobs.....and then can't pay for the tuition payments or loans for that matter......its only going to get worse....I have a friend with beach properties that he rents and He WONT rent to any kid with out speaking to thier parents...yes 23 and younger required to have parents sign so that when shit is fucked up they can then go after parent who signed....it is sad but lets face it ...today kids feel like they are entitled to everything and most have the work ethic of a bag of shit......
    always forward but never straight

Tell the parents you'd love to rent to them and their son but will have to charge 1.5x as much since you have to deal with both them and their son. Like if a couple moved in

80% of 2009 college graduates moved back in with their parents.
    http://money.cnn.com/2009/07/23/pf/s...ove_back_home/

Free place to live with people you get along with (especially in economically tough times) =/= irresponsible

A lot of the other shit in this thread=irresponsible

/thread written by guy who moved out at 29, yet has never been unemployed since age 17, worked all through college, wipes own ass, etc...

i don't see a problem with moving back with the rents to save money to buy a house i stayed away from 18 til 26 and then moved back for a few years to save and buy a house.....i don't see a prob with that if your actually saving money and not pissing it away....

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker/boarder View Post
    .i don't see a prob with that if your actually saving money and not pissing it away....
    Is buying everything you see on SAC considered pissing it away?

Well that depends on what you need for your ski season skiing is first of course.....

left home at 18 and did not return. if i needed to go back home and live back then, i hope I would have had that luxury.

Today's youth are a bunch of entitlement whore assholes.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    you don't have a single post that doesn't involve spewing ridiculous and untrue crap about the gov't or obama.

get a life, and an education, and STFUYFM!
    Big skis from small companies at Backcountry Freeskier

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    At least you'll know that his parents won't be late with the rent check...
    that's what I was thinking...
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy