Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Alaska Snow Conditions & Stoke 2010/2011

Finally got snow in town today...time to start up a thread.

Anyone driven through Turnagain pass lately? Looks like theres a couple feet at Eddies parking lot, gotta be more up high. Will investigate further on Saturday.
    Last edited by Mathematics; 12-04-2010 at 06:49 PM.

We've won it. It's going to get better now. You can sort of tell these things.

the snow conditions forum is obviously a waste of space
    I've got the key to the highway... I'm gonna leave here runnin', walkin's far too slow

Quote Originally Posted by montanamike View Post
    the snow conditions forum is obviously a waste of space
    Zip it francine.

Its niiiiiple deep out there.

maybe pics tomorrow.

Alyeska
    Current Conditions as of 9:10 AM Tuesday, November 09, 2010
    Location New Snow Last 12h New Snow Last 24h Avg. Snow Depth Temp (F) Wind (MPH) Visibility Conditions Snow Conditions - Main Trails Snow Conditions - Off Trail
    Base 12" 12" 31" 30F 5-15 mph Fair Snow Powder Powder
    Midway 12" 12" 49" 28F 5-15 mph Fair Snow Powder Powder
    Top of Six 14" 14" 83" 25F 5-15 mph Poor Snow Powder Powder

Total Snowfall This Season: 100"

Yep it is going to be bottomless in Turny this weekend!

Not a bad start... maybe another 900''+ season making that 3 in a row!?!
    Hey Bub

I might have to get divorced to do it but I'm skiing saturday. Drove to Seward with the kids last saturday and back sunday and it was pissing on the highway saturday and puking sunday. Getting deep already... so stoked

From Alyeska's FB page....

Was told Turny was good last weekend, had to hike a bit but good to go around treeline. If the weather clears Saturday I am heading down.

^^^pull over wherever the most cars are on the left side of the road and follow the skin track.

Today, at Turnagain, it went blue for some crazy deep hero pow. Anything less than 35deg was a joke, the pillows were just point and go. We kept it (realatively) conservative while waiting for it to settle out till tomorrow, when, they might open the sled side (rumor).

As it looks like it could turn grey in the afternoon tomorrow, I might head to the pass for a dawn patrol (9ish), and drag the sled along.

sorry no pics like I promised our photog buddy bailed at the last minut so we didn't even bring cameras (which always makes for the best epically scenic days).

also, my mutt hucked a 15 footer without hesitation, stuck it and swam (literally) right out. Wish I had the camera for that one.

Uh, maybe you should hit the resort till you find some touring buddies, get some gear, and figure out WTF your doing.

maybe park on the right side of the road.
    off your knees Louie

Tincan is good to go, was a zoo there yesterday. Snow is super heavy cruddy garbage down low but halfway up the treeline it starts to get nice & fluffy. Turns at the top were epic.

Skintrack in is an interstate highway

View up the valley

aaaaaaaaaand the zoo of people towards the top.

That shit looks tracked out! I couldn't believe the crowds in Turny yesterday. Magnum Sunburst and tincan looked like they had ants crawling all over them. Backcountry is getting super popular thank goodness the Chugach is way bigger and less populated than the Wasatch.

Was up tincan common yesterday. Main face was tracked but got fresh track down one of the chutes on the north face. Skied really good in spots and crusty in others.

2 ft at the top of 6 this morning!!!!!!!!!!!

Dude, you guys are making me sick. I'll be home for Christmas though and will hopefully get some turns in up there... These East Coast blues are killin' me.

I hate being married. How the fuck is shopping more important than powder.

damnit why am I stuck in Juneau?
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

crowded as hell but sick today none the less. anyone heading to turny tomorrow? I am thinking Eddy's...

^^^CPG road to A1 8ish...

I guess there was a slide out on High Traverse today?

There was that first big snowfall and then it got warm and all the glide cracks grew and then it got cold again and I figure that layer set up pretty good.

Then there was good skiing, then it was alright skiing with dust on crust then the dust blew away and the skiing sucked (which could be good with accumulated hoar frost also blowing away) and then this big dump a couple of days later.

I suspect instability in general. I like A1 because you can cruise in deep to look around with very little exposure.

I keep finding myself in here by mistake while trying to find the proper teletips thread and get frustrated by the lack of recent imagery, so heres an attempt to get the posting momentum going around here again

I'm sure everyones aware but big slide on Saturday http://www.adn.com/2011/01/29/167426...ch-skiers.html

Thankfully everyone had beacons. The gf and I putzed around on Fresno Ridge Sunday coming back from Seward but due to the slide the day before kept it pretty low key. Warming temps and heavy snow didn't help.

More snow this week hopefully temps stay below 30...

Colorado Gaper looking to see how the snow has been outside of Haines...any info? Have the big trip planned for March 4th .
    You should have been here yesterday!

wow those pics look great

Colorado Gaper looking to see how the snow has been outside of Haines...any info? Have the big trip planned for March 4th .
    Tried to get down there over Christmas but ended up wrecking near Haines Junction. had there of actually been any snow the berms may of kept us on the road. Here is the best I can do for conditions.
    http://aprfc.arh.noaa.gov/data/snow/...php?site=HCSA2
    This is for the border at 800' so should be significantly better at higher elevations. Biggest concerns might be the big temperature swings that have lasted awhile. may not be the bomber snowpack this season. Have fun post pics let us know.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by PowTron View Post
    That will probably be hard to get on here, not to many year round mags in Haines.

I will be there on the 10th to start taking a look at things. Alaska Heliskiing also has daily condition reports on our website and Facebook once we start flying on the 18th.

Stalefish 3169 is there, if he sees this he may respond.

21" at Alyeska...... out the door Bitches!

avy forecast - in its infancy

weather cam from airport ~4 mile

highway report
    the pass (Haines Junction to Pleasant Camp - PC is the border at 40 mile) is at 3,000' but a different weather system prevails there than the peaks you will be flying to.