Mick Jagger responds to Keith Richards' "Life"

(via fictional rejoinder by music critic Bill Wyman (no relationship to THE Bill Wyman).

As someone states in the notes section of the article, "Keith may have been the talent, but I wouldn't have wanted to have been attached at the hip to him for 40 years."

A good read if you have the time.

http://www.slate.com/id/2273611/pagenum/all/
    Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well.

Keef's book is an awesome read.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

bump - just finished this book. awesome read, and ghost writer or not Keith has a hell of a memory for basically losing 15 yrs to drugs.

We've won it. It's going to get better now. You can sort of tell these things.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathematics View Post
    bump - just finished this book. awesome read, and ghost writer or not Keith has a hell of a memory for basically losing 15 yrs to drugs.
    .... or imagination.
    "You damn colonials and your herds of tax write off dressage ponies". PNWBrit

I'm listening to the CD version in the car. Johnny Depp reads the first five chapters, then suddenly disappears at chapter six and a British or Irish actor by the name of James Hurley takes over, but he's pretty good. Hope Johnny comes back, but he started to sound bored or distracted or something.

Awesome tale. What a fucking life. Boy, he disliked Brian Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Gotz View Post
    (via fictional rejoinder by music critic Bill Wyman (no relationship to THE Bill Wyman).

As someone states in the notes section of the article, "Keith may have been the talent, but I wouldn't have wanted to have been attached at the hip to him for 40 years."

A good read if you have the time.

http://www.slate.com/id/2273611/pagenum/all/
    Apparently this response is not fiction, as Mick's agent sent it to the wrong Wyman. I am on the second page and it is awesome.....

''Let's go to the next tier—again, of matters one is informed of with some regularity, this not over months, not years, but entire decades. Keith's been arrested with a mason jar full of heroin and a shopping bag full of other drugs and drug paraphernalia and is charged with drug trafficking. That was his baggage for a weekend in Toronto. It is hard to play a show with a catatonic guitarist, harder still when he is in jail for 10 years. I won't even get into the fact that this came right when I had every record label in the world fighting to sign us, and in an instant my negotiating power was vaporized. Here's a baroque bulletin from the archives: Anita's 17-year-old boyfriend has accidentally shot himself, in Keith's house—Keith's bedroom—with a gun Keith left lying around. Young Marlon, then perhaps 10, saw Anita, covered in blood, coming down the stairs distraught, and God knows it could have been Marlon playing with the gun. Or: Keith's driven his car off the road (again) with Marlon inside (again). In his book Keith stands back, amazed at the things that just … happen to him. He is frequently the victim of faulty wiring in the hotels in which we bivouac; a surprising number of times this phenomenon has caused fires. Ritz-Carltons are not built the way they use to be, I guess. Redlands burned down a couple of times as well, as did a house he was renting in Laurel Canyon. It's a wonder Marlon survived his childhood. A third child Keith disposed of by sending her off to his mum back in Dartford I to raise. The second? That was another son, who was left with his paranoid, unstable, heroin-addict mother and didn't make it past infancy. Keith says he blames himself, and on that at least I think we can agree."
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Yes, this is a very lucky man who has a very strong sense of confidence in himself. Or, in other words, he really is full of himself.

But, it's an awesome read and listen, because it has so much history in the pages. Never knew Phil Spector played bass on a few b sides, stuff like that. The story about Muddy Waters painting the ceiling of the Chess studios as he and Wyman walk in for the first time is a riot. The first chapter talking about the near disastrous bust in Arkansas in 75 should be made into a movie or play. What a cast of characters.

Also another good argument for all young males to pick up an instrument and form a band, because Keith, as we all know, is not the prettiest bloke, and he readily admits to having no moves at all around women all his life, but has had sex with some of the most beautiful girls ever. Some loved him a lot, after they got by the teeth. He barely had to say hi. I guess that's why he's so full of himself.

Keith is a master. Masters bring women to their knees.

Funny to hear Mick's comment..."imagine touring with an alcoholic, crackhead and heroin addict".
    Terje was right.

I'm with Jagger on this - fuck Keith Richards - what an ungrateful junkie bastard. He wouldn't have been shit if Jagger hadn't dragged his ass along. Not saying he wasn't talented, but they would have found him dead in a ditch long ago if he didn't have his band to babysit him.

Yeah, well, listen to a few solo Jagger albums, and, it's easy to conclude that he wouldn't be touring at all if it wasn't for Keith. Works the other way, too. Keith's solo stuff sucks. They both need each other, warts and bad teeth and drug habits and all.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I'm with Jagger on this - fuck Keith Richards - what an ungrateful junkie bastard. He wouldn't have been shit if Jagger hadn't dragged his ass along. Not saying he wasn't talented, but they would have found him dead in a ditch long ago if he didn't have his band to babysit him.
    Just remember. He wrote Satisfaction in his sleep. This is no run of the mill junkie.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Yeah, well, listen to a few solo Jagger albums, and, it's easy to conclude that he wouldn't be touring at all if it wasn't for Keith. Works the other way, too. Keith's solo stuff sucks. They both need each other, warts and bad teeth and drug habits and all.
    For sure. But only one of them is an ungrateful prick about it. Typical junkie always blaming someone or something else.

Well, Jagger's no saint. Let's reserve judgement until his book comes out. I'll never forgive him for joining the Studio 54 crowd. That, for me, was the end of the Stones. I'll take Richards junkie life to that shit any day. It certainly produced much better music.

"It is said of me that I act above the rest of the band and prefer the company of society swells. Would you rather have had a conversation with Warren Beatty, Andy Warhol, and Ahmet Ertegun … or Keith, his drug mule Tony, and the other surly nonverbal members of his merry junkie entourage? Keith actually seems not to understand why I would want my dressing room as far away as possible from that of someone who travels with a loaded gun. "

Heh.

Andy Warhol? Warren Beatty? Major fail. How about Liza fucking Minneli? Jesus. Keith must have been shaking his head. What the fuck.

Something tells me that a conversation with Warhol wasn't very deep, especially over the din of Grace Jones in the background.

Warren Beatty back in the day? Pretty interesting guy, according to many. I agree about Warhol (zzzzz), but better than mumbling incoherently with a bunch of junkies. That's kind of the point. Anyway - Jagger's response is far more coherent and believable... probably because he hasn't been wasted for 4 decades. Not that the book wasn't entertaining.

Where's Warren today? Mumbling junkie is still selling stadiums.

Edit: one of Keith's early idols was Jimmy Reed. Patron saint to all alcoholics everywhere. The story about him throwing up on the first few rows one night is, ..... something. That's what Keith was emulating, right or wrong. At least we got Wild Horses out of it.

Listening to Let it Bleed and Exile on Main st. now.

They really make a HUGE sound.....then the cool ballads....Keith and Mick were lightening in a bottle.

I am younger and did not really appreciate the band until very recently. I like Zeppelin, black sabbath, the clash, etc... from that era.
    Terje was right.

Keith actually seems not to understand why I .......
    I doubt he gives a fuck that he's never heard of you,

Warren Beatty.... WTF.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    I doubt he gives a fuck that he's never heard of you,.
    Umm... WTF are you even talking about? What do I personally have to do with any of this? I was quoting Jagger from the link, moron.

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    Apparently this response is not fiction...
    dunno, the interwebz suggest otherwise:

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/upo...media_with.php

Umm...I was quoting Jagger from the link, moron.
    'cept you weren't quoting Jagger...

http://www.examiner.com/article/slat...moir-is-a-joke
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

^^ I was quoting the fake article then. Whatever. I will say as a phony response it was brilliantly written.