Any luck rebuilding a Svea Optimus stove?

I'm wondering if anyone's ever had any luck rebuilding a Svea Optimus stove?

I love my Svea...it's by far my favorite stove. I love it's antique brass look and it's overt simplicity and ruggedness. But my Svea has turned into a frickin' flame-thrower! I'm serious...the thing shoots flames 4 feet high.

They used to sell kits for rebuilding the thing, but the kits are getting hard to come by since the stoves are no longer made. Anyone have any luck jury-rigging? Like making your own gaskets, and finding other seals and shit that might work on it?

Anybody need a flame-thrower??

This Svea Stove? Have you contacted Optimus?

I have one somewhere that hasn't been used in eons. If I recall correctly, it was common for it to go into flame thrower mode and keeping the orifice clean was critical. For gaskets, how about using high temp stove silicone.

Though I also like the brass and 'nostalgia', I suppose I could part with mine if you have no luck fixing yours. I'd need to double check it's condition, however.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

I carry what was my Dad's Svea 123 stove. Parts are still available for this stove- but it is older than I am and all original. That being said;

http://www.optimusstoves.com/seen/te...intenance-faq/ is where to start as the company is still around and you could contact them if you have specific questions or want recommendations on your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    This Svea Stove? Have you contacted Optimus?

I have one somewhere that hasn't been used in eons. If I recall correctly, it was common for it to go into flame thrower mode and keeping the orifice clean was critical. For gaskets, how about using high temp stove silicone.

Though I also like the brass and 'nostalgia', I suppose I could part with mine if you have no luck fixing yours. I'd need to double check it's condition, however.
    Yep....that's the one...Svea 123. The website says Katadyn Group. I have a Katadyn water filter...a SUPER well-made filter...if that is the same ownership group, I think Svea is in good hands.

Thanks for the great info and diagrams! If I can't resurrect mine, I'll let you know. I realize that stoves like the WhisperLite (MSR?) are a little lighter and more efficient, but I've always loved the simplicity and ruggedness of the Svea 123...it's as simple as...well...123. I've used mine from the hinterlands near Inuvik, Northwest Territories to Belize and practically everywhere in between.

I find that when it's in flame-thrower mode, it REALLY does a quick job on the swarms of mosquitoes down near Chitina, so maybe I'll keep it just for that!

What are you using for fuel in it? The only way it can be a flame thrower is if you turn the valve key way too far open (you can actually turn it so far that the end will come right off.) Other issue is of course like Alpinord mentioned dirt or carbon and using the provided pin tool to clean it, but I find it is the opposite- if it is too dirty it will burn really yellow flame or not start at all.