Page 17 of 33 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    My parents never loved me
    Last edited by THEBEST; 01-17-2011 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by THEBEST View Post
    WHAH WHAH WHAH!!!!! YOU FUCKING WHINERS IF YOU HAD THE BALLS LIKE ALL YOU BROH YAHS SAY YOU DO YOU WOULD JUST SACK UP, STRAIGHT LINE IT AND OUTRUN THE AVALANCHES.

I WOULD AND THAT IS WHY I AM THE BEST NOT ANY OF YOU FUCKTARDS.

HOPE YOU LIKED MY DOGS SHIT IN THE BOOTPACK

I WILL GET TO EDITING MY SWEET POV OF ME FUCKING YOUR MOM!!!!!
    dork.

today just got better and better. bound to to see some stuff moving tomorrow headed south, Finally MLK weekend is over! Be safe and GO BIG!

Really? Where is the rain line? No mention of breakable crust? Do tell.

7 inches in 4 hours starting around noon. faceshots on the lower faces at 3:30. rain crust was about to 8000 tho jhavalanche.org reports it up to 8500

Anybody been up to Togwotee lately?
    "The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

Jackson Hole January Madness

Originally posted on my blog, Point Of Release

Last Tuesday's surprise powder was followed by another 5" on Thursday and 6" on Friday, making for two fantastic days of skiing. Strong winds followed by warmer temperatures buffed out the mountain on Saturday, making for some funky skiing. Sunday was another storm day, with the resort picking up 8" and setting up what should have been an outstanding Monday morning. The weather gods, however weren't on the same page and coated the bottom half of the mountain with rain overnight. Rendezvous Bowl was still great this morning, but getting down the bottom half of the mountain was chaotic at times. And then mother nature decided to make amends by dropping 7" of blower pow for the today's last box. What a week! Here's a collection of clips from all of this.

Skiing & Editing: Than Volk
    Music: Tik Tok Hello - Ke$ha vs Owl City

The usual photos:

Quote Originally Posted by homemadesalsa View Post
    Really? Where is the rain line? No mention of breakable crust? Do tell.
    The rain line was at about the base of Thunder this morning, it was pretty chaotic coming down the bottom of the Hobacks. Last box and those 7" were fantastic though (there was 2-3" down low). Be sure to check this afternoon's avalanche bulletin, it sounds like there was quite a bit of activity today. I'm a little terrified to venture anywhere until the snow settles.

rain crust seemed pretty high on the pass yesterday, well above 8,500'...but maybe it was a rime/melt freeze layer higher up.

sounds like albright may have slid and flattened a bunch of trees.
    Teton AT
    Live to Ski!

Quote Originally Posted by randosteve View Post
    rain crust seemed pretty high on the pass yesterday, well above 8,500'...but maybe it was a rime/melt freeze layer higher up.

sounds like albright may have slid and flattened a bunch of trees.
    Thanks. Will post up this afternoon. Heading up Glory for a look with my avalanche forecasting class. The new cold temps might lock it down up high, but we'll have tails tucked for the lower elevations.

Love hearing about carnage- it eradicates complacency nicely!

From TetonAT

How many Jackson skiers does it take to ski a mountain?
    10- One to wear the helmet cam,
    one to take still shots,
    one to take video,
    one to talk about how environmentally conscious they are,
    one to tell everyone how cool they are,
    one to tell every one else how cool they are not,
    one to make fun of anyone who skis a different way than they do,
    one to get pissed that people ski the same way they do,
    one to say they did it first,
    and one to sit at the bar and make it sound way more burly than it really was.

actually...it only takes ONE of us to do all that.
    Teton AT
    Live to Ski!

If anybody is heading into the park this week and could take a picture or two of the glacier route in its current state it would be greatly appreciated.

In other news skied edelweis (sp?) a couple times this morning and the NE ridge later in the day and both were better than I expected. The crust on the S side with there no doubt but pretty consistant and make for some ok skiing. The NE ridge skied well with chalky snow for about 2/3 of the way down. The last third was lest than fun. Moderate hand shears all over the place high and low down 20-30cms with no other signs of instability. The ski out to the old pass road was comperable to a flattened FIS course. lol

Anybody else notice like 3 or more rime crusts in the new snow?
    "The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

Hi Aaron- Nice to meetcha finally.

Dug a big fat study pit with my class on the top of Shamrock (yes, we filled it in completely). Near-surface facets from the cold spell from Xmas to early Jan is still consistently reactive with moderate scores and Q2. Heads up on this one still- hasn't completely healed, even with warm temps.

Found a burly rain crust below about 8500', but heard the rime crust above 9 was still skiing quite well. No more wet snow problem now, but lots of evidence down low of many many wet loose slides.

Dumping in Driggs, 3" in the last two hours!

Tomorrow, it looks like I'm shooting for another First Box-> Bowl-> Alta 1 freshies again( I had that today), seems like this an everyday other day thing for myself in 2010-11.
    Always charging it in honor of Flyin' Ryan Hawks.

im feeling first box Cooler -> MYM -> Broadway. pairachutes will be epic tomorrow too

10 inches at mid mountain already !!!

sooo excited...gearing up now! whooop whooop!

gonna be a pow pow wow wow kinda day, I can feel it.
    Always charging it in honor of Flyin' Ryan Hawks.

grumblegrumblepissnmoan
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    grumblegrumblepissnmoan
    x2. grrrrrr.
    Low density pow, little wind-effect, awesome visibility...what a perfect day.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    x2. grrrrrr.
    Low density pow, little wind-effect, awesome visibility...what a perfect day.
    X3. Blowing snow this morning pissed me off! That was the only blower I'll be seeing today.

Poor me... I'm stuck at home with the kiddo today while I look out the window at 14" of fluff sparkling in the sun that's just now popping out.

Tomorrow, I plan to take full advantage.

Thanks Homemade Salsa and others for the avy observations... seems like there's a lot going on with the snowpack in various aspects, elevations, locations, etc. right now. Not the time to get complacent.

Quote Originally Posted by homemadesalsa View Post
    Hi Aaron- Nice to meetcha finally.
    Yes you too!

Skied south of the pass today and it was Blowerific. Most of the SE shots of KB ridge (not sure the name of these) had slide over night on what looked like the new/old snow interface, so not deep crowns by any means (couple inches to a foot), but they did propagate across the entire chute. (50-70ftish) The snow that had fallen on the old bed surface was also very sluffy.

Now, I know some of you had to of taken some pretty good pictures today so lets seem em'
    More stoke, less shit.

Quote Originally Posted by _Aaron_ View Post
    Yes you too!

Skied south of the pass today and it was Blowerific. Most of the SE shots of KB ridge (not sure the name of these) had slide over night on what looked like the new/old snow interface, so not deep crowns by any means (couple inches to a foot), but they did propagate across the entire chute. (50-70ftish) The snow that had fallen on the old bed surface was also very sluffy.
    Aaron I think that's the north-most section of avalanche bowl. If that's so, then those are frequent flyers, especially with stronger winds, since the loading occurs lower down from the ridgecrest. They also tend to have more crust layers and are steeper than most of avalanche bowl.