Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast
    yeah, that's what i was thinking. here's to hoping the weather lets them get them open bright and early!

Classic Targhee cycle...

M O U N T A I N - W E A T H E R - P A S T - 2 4 - H O U R S
    At 10,400' Elevation: 5 AM Temp: 3º F Max Temp: 20º F Avg Wind Direction: Westerly Avg. Wind Speed: 21 Max Wind Gust: 41

Location Snowfall/Prec. Total Snow Depth Total Snowfall
    At 9,300' Elevation (Raymer Plot) 12"/ 0.51" 101" 381"
    At 9,580' Elevation (Rendezvous Bowl Plot) 15"/ 0.5" 109" 354"
    At 8,800' Elevation (Chief Joseph Plot) 32"/ 0.84" 126" 373"
    M O U N T A I N - W E A T H E R - F O R E C A S T - F O R - T O D A Y
    Occasional light snow.
    Temperature Forecast for 8,000´-9,000´: Rising to the mid teens.
    Ridge Top Wind Forecast for 10,000´: Westerly at 20 M.P.H.
    Snowfall Expected Next 24 Hours: 1 - 2"

G E N E R A L - A V A L A N C H E - A D V I S O R Y
    Heavy snowfall rates have accumulated two feet of snow or more in the Tetons. The snowfall ended Sunday afternoon on the east side of the Tetons but continues on the west side. At the high and mid elevations backcountry travelers could easily trigger very sensitive soft slabs to three feet in depth on steep slopes. Periods of sunshine will result in loose sloughs that could rapidly become dangerous in size on sunlit aspects. Cautious route-finding and conservative decision making will be essential for safe travel today. Avalanches are unlikely at the lower elevations.

Did you ever make it in from Rexburg?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

fack i'm jealous..32" its gonna be a good time over there,post em if you have em please

btw: the resort was redonkulous yesterday! thigh deep in places!

No photos but it was crazy deep. On 95 waisted skis I couldn't tell where one face shot stopped and the next started. Light enough so even at that depth it was reasonably fast. Chest deep in the favored locations. Unfortunately it was crowded and DC went down at 11, so we bailed. Home for lunch and off to the pass.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Classic Targhee cycle...

M O U N T A I N - W E A T H E R - P A S T - 2 4 - H O U R S
    At 10,400' Elevation: 5 AM Temp: 3º F Max Temp: 20º F Avg Wind Direction: Westerly Avg. Wind Speed: 21 Max Wind Gust: 41

Location Snowfall/Prec. Total Snow Depth Total Snowfall
    At 9,300' Elevation (Raymer Plot) 12"/ 0.51" 101" 381"
    At 9,580' Elevation (Rendezvous Bowl Plot) 15"/ 0.5" 109" 354"
    At 8,800' Elevation (Chief Joseph Plot) 32"/ 0.84" 126" 373"
    M O U N T A I N - W E A T H E R - F O R E C A S T - F O R - T O D A Y
    Occasional light snow.
    Temperature Forecast for 8,000´-9,000´: Rising to the mid teens.
    Ridge Top Wind Forecast for 10,000´: Westerly at 20 M.P.H.
    Snowfall Expected Next 24 Hours: 1 - 2"

G E N E R A L - A V A L A N C H E - A D V I S O R Y
    Heavy snowfall rates have accumulated two feet of snow or more in the Tetons. The snowfall ended Sunday afternoon on the east side of the Tetons but continues on the west side. At the high and mid elevations backcountry travelers could easily trigger very sensitive soft slabs to three feet in depth on steep slopes. Periods of sunshine will result in loose sloughs that could rapidly become dangerous in size on sunlit aspects. Cautious route-finding and conservative decision making will be essential for safe travel today. Avalanches are unlikely at the lower elevations.
    Well that doesn't suck. Gideee up boys n girls!
    The Passion is in the Risk

BabyBear

Me

It was alright. If you're into that kinda stuff.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.21.11CGX.jpg 
Views:	957 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	93538   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen shot 2011-02-21 at 5.17.52 PM.jpg 
Views:	923 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	93539  

So decided to do a little recon today up north in the Ranger Peak area. Our main objective was Peak 10686 but we ran into numerous problems along the way. So much for that idea. First we ran into some water on top of the ice which without globstopper handy made travel much slower, second I have substituded Sparks for bindings on the slider track (I forgot how much this sucked) since Im still waiting on a replacement pin, third afor mentioned bindings broke as we reached the west shore of the lake but was sorta fixed with a ski strap, and lastly the clouds didnt give us the break we need to navigate the unfamilair terrain until we were on our way out. Fortunatly we did get some snow info for anyone heading up there soon.

Got a couple whumps on the west shore of the lake a decided to dig a pit (down low, didnt get very high at all) to see what we had under out feet and found 2 crusts samwitching a pretty thick (15-20cms) layer of facets all just under the new snow. I assume this is where the whumping was coming from. Shovel shear test yeilded easy results just below the top crust in the facets and compression tests failed on isolation at the same spot. The basel and mid pack seem relatively stable only yeilding low energy/high strenght results. This was on a W aspect at roughly 7200ft. Ive got a full pit data (temps and all) if anyone wants it. Just PM me.

Now I know that someone HAD to have taken some damn good pictures today so lets see em!
    "The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

Apparently I type slowly and SJ posts quickly...

Score!
    "The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

Didn't matter that DC went down. It was still 32" of the chokiest fluff I'll get this year! Best date day ever!

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post

Did you ever make it in from Rexburg?
    yup. roads opened around 9. riding just after ten. great, great, great day up there. bummer about dc in the morning, but they got it going later on. good times. tomorrow should be fun too.
    Last edited by astralboy15; 02-21-2011 at 07:53 PM.

Today was really fun in the bc, but set off some fractures/mini slides, be careful out there.
    Always charging it in honor of Flyin' Ryan Hawks.

Sorry, no camera today. But the images would've been all white anyway.

I was seriously concerned mid-way down my first lap as I struggled to breath...

Best day I've had this year...

but damn it was crowded with DC down

twas a healthy dose of the white stuff, kudos to the ghee for finding a way to keep DC going even if it was slower than hell, that just meant that everything stayed good till the end. Today will not be forgotten!

Just a tease from Casper Bowl this morning:

Targhee yesterday

Deepest I've ever had.

I was literally coughing and sputtering from inhaling so much snow on parking lot rocks yesterday morning. So much fun being able to just point it off anything in Das! Even with the crowds and the lift issues... EPIC!

Anyone skiing the pass tomorrow? I have gear and Avy 1 and tour at least a couple days a week. Definitely looking to ski something pretty conservative tomorrow given the snowpack situation. PM if interested.

Man, the last couple days have been unreal at the village. Yesterday morning, first tracks down Casper Bowl was the deepest run of my life. Had to stop halfway down to get in my first good breaths! And then we went over to the dark side...

Anyone who was lucky enough to get into Granite yesterday... then you know... it just doesn't get any better then that!!!

Saw some pockets that had slide yesterday South of the resort, only on S-SE aspects. Very soft slabs, but slabs nonetheless. Seems to be sliding on the stout suncrust that will be plaguing us all season. No signs of instability noted on N aspects in Granite. No slabs and only minor sluffs. 30" of fresh and great stability in the right places?!? Yes please!!!

Edit: and it's only getting better!!!

LIGHT SNOW BECOMING MODERATE TO HEAVY AT TIMES
    OVERNIGHT. A WIDESPREAD 3 TO 6 INCHES WITH ISOLATED AMOUNTS IN THE
    8 INCH RANGE CAN BE EXPECTED OVER THE NEXT 24 HOURS. THE SNOW WILL
    BRIEFLY LET UP FROM TIME TO TIME OVER THE NEXT 48 HOURS BEFORE THE
    NEXT MAJOR SYSTEM MOVES THROUGH ON THURSDAY AND FRIDAY. WINDS
    WILL BE STEADY OUT OF THE WEST TO SOUTHWEST AT 20 TO 30 MPH WITH
    ISOLATED GUSTS TO 55 MPH AT RIDGE TOP OVERNIGHT...THEY WILL TAPER
    OFF SLIGHTLY ON WEDNESDAY TO 15 TO 25 MPH WITH OCCASIONAL HIGHER
    GUSTS AT RIDGE TOP.
    Skiing, whether you're in Wisconsin or the Alps, is a dumbass hick country sport that takes place in the middle of winter on a mountain at the end of a dirt road.
    -Glen Plake

Nice I'm headed to the village on Saturday and Targhee on Sunday- looks like its gonna be another good weekend.

Advisability of hiring guide for sidecountry OB skiing at Jackson Hole

Two friends and I (all strong skiers with avi gear but no formal avi training) will be skiing at JH next week and are interested in skiing out of bounds from the top of the tram back to the base. None of us have skied OB at JH before. We are contemplating hiring a private guide for the day for approximately $700. Based on avalanche conditions today (which are reported as "considerable" at higher elevations) would it be a bad idea to ski OB without a JH guide?

Quote Originally Posted by Goniff View Post
    Two friends and I (all strong skiers with avi gear but no formal avi training) will be skiing at JH next week and are interested in skiing out of bounds from the top of the tram back to the base. None of us have skied OB at JH before. We are contemplating hiring a private guide for the day for approximately $700. Based on avalanche conditions today (which are reported as "considerable" at higher elevations) would it be a bad idea to ski OB without a JH guide?
    Danger is rated as "high" today at upper elevations. Next week could be a whole different story. Avy danger could be extreme or low depending on what happens with the weather between now and then. If you don't know your way around the backcountry and want to ski some more interesting things, a guide would be the way to go. They'll show you where the good snow is (if you're in good enough shape to make it there) and get you back down safely. The avy danger is only one aspect of skiing OB that you have to consider. Knowing where to go that won't get you cliffed out or into areas that you should use skins to get out of is probably as important as the avy danger.

Well said Lawless. Ill add that following ski tracks ( expecially in and around the resort) is a bad idea. Shit, you could be following skijunky05's tracks and we all know how those usually end
    More stoke, less shit.

Pretty amped on what sounds to be a promising weekend. Headed to Jackson/Targhee Thursday-Sunday. No BC but if you see me, say whats up! green pinstripe jacket/black pants/this years obsethed

Quote Originally Posted by Goniff View Post
    If you have to ask............................

Thanks for the quick responses. We have already booked the guide for next Tuesday. What made me a little nervous was that you can hire guides at some mountains in VT, and it is a total waste of money if you have any sense of direction. Of course, JH is nothing like VT, although people spend the night freezing in the woods after getting lost quite often in VT. Assuming avi danger is high on Tuesday at higher elevations, would we be better offer re-booking to another day during the week in hopes of safer conditions? For $700, we probably would not be happy skiing low-angle terrain if that is the only terrain the guide will bring us to.