Page 20 of 33 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
    [ame="http://vimeo.com/19265035"]Jackson Hole on Vimeo[/ame]

this is good

Warning photo dump

Here is a couple from 3 days ago on the Pass and 2 days ago on the Middle

Pass

Climbing the Middle in a whiteout was fun...

Of course it would go blue when we were out of the SW cooler

"The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

Yet another report of no signs of instability from GTNP, on S-E aspects up to 10500'. Some definite wind slab up high, but it was pretty well cemented in place. Would take a serious trigger to get it to move. I'm also happy to report great, creamy skiing all the way to the valley floor!!

Possible TR on the way, if I can get a consistent internet connection going...

Last edited by powder_prophet; 01-27-2011 at 10:18 PM.
    Skiing, whether you're in Wisconsin or the Alps, is a dumbass hick country sport that takes place in the middle of winter on a mountain at the end of a dirt road.
    -Glen Plake

Quote Originally Posted by homemadesalsa View Post
    Agreed on no signs of instability anywhere I have been in the last week or so. Sortof boring for teaching a 3-week avalanche class, but the skiing has been good. Will be interesting to see if anything moves with the warmup.

Thanks Schwerty for the recommendation, but I am already teaching the Yostmark level 2 that weekend. Can send their business to other guides, though.
    Thanks homemadesalsa, I emailed Tom this morning. 2 weeks and counting.

Sick pics! The rime on the trees looks really cool in those pass pictures.

Anyone know of a place in town or the village that rents out beacons? I'm coming out the last week in feb with a couple of east coast buddies and want to show them the sidecountry (Probably just four pines and cody if it goes bluebird) and the pass, but I don't really think it makes sense for them to invest in gear. I fully intend to have everyone practice with their avy gear before going out the gates. Talked to my friend who works at a snowmobile place in town and they rent out old crappy Ortovox ones apparently. Anyone know where we could score some trackers or something similar?

Pretty sure these guys rent beacons/shovels/probes/packs.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

A good majority of the upper elevations in GTNP on all aspects are seriously wind affected. It felt like sustained 30 mph winds today with gusts of at least 40 mph. Lots of sastrugi, and wind slab, both in south fork of Garnet and north fork of Avalanche. Also, if anyone is thinking of skiing the SE couloir on the South, the crux is not filled in completely and not skiable without huge balls. So much for high pressure!
    "Ah, beer, my one weakness. My Achille's heel, if you will." -Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by coolstine View Post
    Also, if anyone is thinking of skiing the SE couloir on the South, the crux is not filled in completely and not skiable without huge balls. So much for high pressure!
    Thats a bummer. Hope you didnt have to find out about the crux the hard way :yikes: Hows the exit of the SE face looking?
    "The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

Quote Originally Posted by _Aaron_ View Post
    Thats a bummer. Hope you didnt have to find out about the crux the hard way :yikes: Hows the exit of the SE face looking?
    A little spicy high 4th/low 5th downclimb. I'd recommend a rope and gear if you're not comfortable with exposed unroped downclimbing. SE face exit looked good. I've got some pictures I can post later.
    "Ah, beer, my one weakness. My Achille's heel, if you will." -Homer Simpson

Skied the Ellingwood today and found it in awesome shape for both climbing and skiing. Top and bottom sections were a bit firm from the wind but still not horrible. Once we were out of the cooler though, totally different story. Mature sastrugi EVERYWHERE made the ski out interesting until we made it past the meadows. I did kickoff a super small surface slab (read 4inches deep and roughly 5ft by 5ft) in the Ellingwood as well a size 1 or 1.5 (I give it a 1.5 since it was over a terrain trap) on a steep windloaded secion of the ski out near the bottom of the platform coolies. You are sure to see it left of the skin track if youre headed towards the meadows. Ill probably put up a TR sometime tomorrow of the next day. Stay safe out there!
    More stoke, less shit.

oh and the Ford looked fat in case anyone is thinging of going big these next couple of days.
    More stoke, less shit.

Dude... Will Soltau got absolutely robbed today. The kid skied the biggest air of the day, stomped the shit out of it... biggest cheer of the day. Awesome that we host a comp like this, but fucking pathetic rankings. fucking pathetic. Give D-Will congrats if you see him in tram line, seriously. 5th overall, deserved sick bird. just sayin.

That is gorgeous.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Scouted the Ford/ Stetner route yesterday... icy and very wind affected, i.e. 1-3' sastrugi, in the Stetner. According to rumors at the trailhead, someone skied this route Friday. I have a hard time believing the talk due to the variable conditions, but I guess anything is possible. We pulled the plug and skied marginal snow all the way back down to the valley floor: http://livethedreamcafe.wordpress.com/

Aaron we gave you a "woot, woot" from atop the Teepee Glacier as you topped out on the Ellingwood... you looked as small as an ant from across the Canyon.

^^^ Ha! We heard you but couldnt find you looking around. I guess you would have been equally tiny. Considered taking the glaceir down but decided the Ellingwood would be more fun. Hows the North fork in terms of wind effect? Fucked Im guessing?
    More stoke, less shit.

The Glacier looked good from a distance. But I'm sure it was wind hammered... I think just about everything in the north fork is wind affected. You probably made the correct choice by skiing the sunny Ellingwood aspect. Funny, our best turns of the day were way up high on the Teepee Glacier... I think I linked 12 consecutive powder turns.

Anybody in the Jackson area willing to show me around a bit Tuesday? I'm in town for a couple of days and would like to get a backcountry day in. This is my second time visiting Jackson, and I'd really like to get a taste of what looks to be pretty unique/awesome touring access. Not expecting mind blowing skiing as it seems most things are pretty wind hammered/sun affected, but I'd be stoked just to trek around and get the lay of the land. Any soft snow skiing would be a bonus.

I've got gear and know how to use it. I can't promise any superhuman touring capabilities, but I don't think I'd slow anybody down. Again, not expecting to ski the gnarliest, raddest stashes in Jackson, just hoping to scope things out and get a baseline so I can plan some more ambitious outings the next time I'm here. Eager to to get out on the new Dynafit setup too!

Quote Originally Posted by LiveTheDream View Post
    According to rumors at the trailhead, someone skied this route Friday. I have a hard time believing the talk due to the variable conditions, but I guess anything is possible.
    i think collins and johnson skied it on friday.
    Teton AT
    Live to Ski!

OK.. so enough of this cold and dry weather... I have some 191 Lhasa Pow waiting in the wings ready for some pow ! Come on....today was very cold but deserted. Getting bored of groomers however.

So, what the maggot concensus on best tacos in town right now?
    More stoke, less shit.

Crosspost from hookups
    Help JH/Driggs mags - coming out to ski Sunday night arrival 2/6, ski mon-thursdayish
    Can we meet up, can I rent a room/couch. Can you ski, JH or the ghee
    Had a bro from LA coming but he backed out last minute and room based on dbl occ
    Worst comes I'll probably do Hostel X - thanks
    Oh Ive skiied Ghee and JH, have all gear and am CPR certified, working towards Avy1
    of course, i can trade demo of fat skis (192 bents, Rernegade) mounted at 310
    food, cash, whatever, just want to hit the pow
    Last edited by whyturn; 02-03-2011 at 01:40 PM.
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Anybody have any beta on conditions in the Apocalypse? Randosteve? coolstine?
    More stoke, less shit.

not exactly pow skiing, but fun to get out of the cold in town this morning and enjoy some bluebird on taylor, with short sleeves on the "up"

Quote Originally Posted by _Aaron_ View Post
    Anybody have any beta on conditions in the Apocalypse? Randosteve? coolstine?
    buddy skied it sunday, said it was pretty good then, but wondered if the warm/freeze since then might add a lot of spice.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

^^^ beta on the choke? Debating how much of a rack to bring.
    More stoke, less shit.