Page 13 of 84 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    light freezing rain up on guardsman pass creating a velvet'y crust. not as noticable above 9500'.

Rimage

Headed up Cardiff this morning... Nothing much good going on up there. It was precipitating sleet pretty heavily from 8000' and up. We turned around near the base of N face of Superior (10,500 or so) due to lack of of visibilty.

The creamy pow quickly turned to a breakable ice layer that wasn't much fun to ride at all.

Here's a look at what my buddy's goggles accumulated on the ride out.

some freezing drizzle earlier made for a 3mm breakable crust at 8500 ft. high northeast facing ~10,000 the snow was still in fine shape-- heavy cream but no crust. noticed a lot more flakes in the air in the last 10 minutes out, maybe we can escape this without the nastiness similar to 2008

Quote Originally Posted by tyfalk View Post
    ^^^^^^Here you go Toby, from MacDonalds Draw on the PC ridge line today.
    At least a foot less snow up there compared to upper LCC/BCC.

Only around 70cm up high on the PC ridge. Heat Crust 30cm deep from that warm first week of Nov. Moderate density from the last storm still skiing fast and smooth. CT 28 Q3 below the heat crust. East, 9500 apx.

Upper PC ridgeline skied surprisingly well and rock free today in the typical spots.

Mika enjoying November in Utah.
    Thanks Ty. It looks delicious.

I'll be back weds, look me up for some touring
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

uac gave its first level 3 - considerable danger - warning of the season today - for 8500' and above.

interesting storm that wouldn't quit going on right now
    Have to keep this short since i'm on a computer that hasn't been considered up to date since the days of external modems. Ok, maybe that's an exaggeration...the days of Napster is more like it. Anyway, currently a disturbance embedded in a long wave trough is bringing snow to the Wasatch range. A few days ago this looked like a non-event. Snow shower maybe. Then a little later it looked wetter and the overall stability of the air decreased leading to a more robust solution...but certainly nothing to write about according to Utah standards. But this little guy wouldn't quit.

Now we have a full fledged storm fueled by upper level disturbances, instability and pretty strong NW flow. Overall this pattern should produce between 10 and 20 inches along the N/W facing slopes of the cottonwood Canyons. The storm should come in right-side up with very nice snow to water ratios throughout much of the event. Warming aloft should shut the system down by Wednesday am.

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
    interesting storm that wouldn't quit going on right now
    Have to keep this short since i'm on a computer that hasn't been considered up to date since the days of external modems. Ok, maybe that's an exaggeration...the days of Napster is more like it. Anyway, currently a disturbance embedded in a long wave trough is bringing snow to the Wasatch range. A few days ago this looked like a non-event. Snow shower maybe. Then a little later it looked wetter and the overall stability of the air decreased leading to a more robust solution...but certainly nothing to write about according to Utah standards. But this little guy wouldn't quit.

Now we have a full fledged storm fueled by upper level disturbances, instability and pretty strong NW flow. Overall this pattern should produce between 10 and 20 inches along the N/W facing slopes of the cottonwood Canyons. The storm should come in right-side up with very nice snow to water ratios throughout much of the event. Warming aloft should shut the system down by Wednesday am.
    Good sir...what say you for the upcoming weekend? There was some talk of a storm?

^^^

It's BIG. But you'll have to wait for it.
    Johnny's only sin was dispair

high h20

looks like some serious weight came down. add winds and eager snowsliders

good base building. looking forward to my visit.

rog

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Deep View Post
    ^^^

It's BIG. But you'll have to wait for it.
    From what my amateur ass can tell yes i agree...but im looking for the weather man to clue me in...

^^^

Those guys are wrong 66% of the time. If it weren't for high pressure the resulting forecasts would be even lower.

check out noaa's animations of the pacific - especially the water vapor - like Johnny sez - BIG stuff comin' out of siberia. with alta closed to uphillers any ideas of where to go - i am a boot packer - summer road is still open

Patsy Ridgeline should be do able back into Michigan City. The rest makes for a long day via booter.

found glasses

found some prescription sunglasses right at Catherine's Pass yesterday, anyone lose them?

My Observation:

Felt like this today in the Wasatch.

Wink

^^^ wow, your visibility was that good?

those better be service dogs

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    Seriously. TH may never be allowed in LCC again. (granted that might not be such a big deal for him)
    TRs, photos, videos, and building skis (2 pairs so far...):
    http://wasatchprotocol.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    meanwhile on the dark side of the wasatch today:

...no one gave pile of fecal coliform bacteria about the dog running amok

Fantastic photo man!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingleberry View Post
    pissing in a sink? fucking rookies. Shit in an oven, then you'll be pro.

due to the increasing avi risk i 3 pinned at the bird today - felt safer in the flock - after decades of tele turns i still suck so i did laps on chichadee and dick bass to big emma - except for the 70 mph winds it was a fine day

Good stuff on some LCC south-facing aspects this morning. That storm came in heavy and did a great job filling stuff in. Very consolidated base covered with a layer of soft pow in sheltered areas was very fun riding. The wind definitely did a number last night and raked the west-facing aspects. Stayed away from any east-facing steep stuff - tons of wind loading. No instabilities noted where we were (played it super safe though...)

It's going to be a beautiful day up there. Alta's looking downright wintery.
    It's like I died and went to heaven, but then it turned out it wasn't my time, and they sent me to a brewery.

Skied a mellow east facing shot at 9500' this morning, same obs as tradygirl. Consolidated base with a couple inches of pow on top, fast and smooooove.

que the Jaws theme music:

Gotdamm that's purdy!