Page 9 of 84 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    No conditions report, but I thought some of you might enjoy my "best of" from last season while we're all waiting on more snow...

http://www.zachclantonphotography.co...-of-2010-shred

Zach you are an iron man - 128 days - 316k up! wow! your photography is tops.

Went for a quick nazi patrol after work. Snow is baking down quickly. Could see lots of rollers coming off slopes that weren't facing due north. The skin up was more enjoyable then getting down I think.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Quote Originally Posted by ZachClanton View Post
    No conditions report, but I thought some of you might enjoy my "best of" from last season while we're all waiting on more snow...

http://www.zachclantonphotography.co...-of-2010-shred
    sweet pics.
    when i click to enlarge, two lightboxes are opening instead of one (both with the same pic).

Probably a great day to go ride single track, but skiing is still fun for early season.

Main Chute is quite pleasant. Almost like skiing neve with some mini-moguls. Still no rocks. Better than a kick in the nuts.

Trough axis indicated to move through Monday night followed by
    moist northwest flow on Tuesday. Cold front associated with this
    system likely to bring snow to all but lowest valleys by Tuesday
    morning. Relatively rapid passage of this system once the cold air
    arrives points to probable advisory event...

Yea, the general feel is that a large trough will move se from the Pac NW and dive down through the intermountain west in the monday-tuesday time frame:

Gathers;

Digs:

Swings into UT

Now leading the charge is a pretty strong cold front. Instability from early monday morning into tuesday should be pretty robust. With midlayer RH values in the high 80 to 90% and moderate NW flow from 700 to 900mb

I think a pretty decent snowfall should work into the central wasatch. Blooms of qpf predicted indicate maybe .75 to 1 inch total downwind of the GSL. Now this far out it's pretty common to see these qpf values at the lower end of the envelope. Wait another 48 hours till we get within range of the high res 4km models. Then we'll have a real good sense of the UVV (upward vertical motion) present and be able to make a better guage of snowfall totals.

I miss utah.

^^^Translation??? Jesus dood, dumb it down for me.

I have a Moab moto trip planned next thursday-sunday, guess I might be going to the Mohave instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    ^^^Translation??? Jesus dood, dumb it down for me.

I have a Moab moto trip planned next thursday-sunday, guess I might be going to the Mohave instead.
    Ok...cold front leads cold pocket of moist air into region from monday into tuesday. Precipitation ensues. Until we get closer you can throw out any speculation of amounts though a safe bet would be centered on .75 inches of water though the possibility exists for more because of a moist airmass and prevailing wind direction.

This comports nicely with the NWS statement of an advisory event. Under their rules and advisory event is around 8 inches in 12 hours (or at least that's what is used out here...who the hell knows anymore as they change the rules like three times a day).

Alta was soft enough and well groomed for a little lung busting nordic session this afternoon. Softened up nice around 2pm.

Brought the fat 44mm waist skate skis today.

Contrast.

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    Brought the fat 44mm waist skate skis today.
    New DPS model?
    TRs, photos, videos, and building skis (2 pairs so far...):
    http://wasatchprotocol.wordpress.com/

Went up to brighton for a couple turns today. Didn't bring a camera. A few powder turns were had. Mostly springlike groomers and grass and dirt near the bottom. A lot of fun for day number 1.

Looking good for monday into tuesday. Really strong instability profile monday mid day should help to get some robust snowfall rates going.
    Looks safe to say 10-20 inches west facing slopes

NOAA's calling it 18-30" here

right side up! woohoo! how much stuck around from the last storm? planning to get back at it for the first time since injuries this storm.

still plenty of snow at alta on the groomers and north faces. recent cold temps after the warm spell made crust and ice. still it is fun.

Quote Originally Posted by The Gnarwhale View Post
    NOAA's calling it 18-30" here
    30's for the higher end and prob. represents a total including all the snow showers possible later in the day tuesday. My guess is for the primary snow event which should really blow it's load by tuesday am.

Regardless we're splitting hairs.

Lionel, can you articulate why snow is occasionally forecast in greater amounts on slopes facing a certain aspect? Or rather, why snow more snow falls on certain aspects even in the same locale--i.e, West Rustler at Alta will get more snow than East Greely, even though the two slopes are more or less adjacent...

^ has to do with the prevailing wind direction associated with each storm.

Right, basically a large majority of storms come in with a prevailing NW flow. This places the wind cross barrier to slopes like west rustler. This creates more snow in two situations.
    Frist in major synoptic events (area wide storms) with a prevailing nW flow, the west facing slopes literally catch more snow as the wind blows the snow in at an angle.

Second, in orographic events- the wind hits these west facing slopes and rises, causing it to cool and condense...once it reaches it saturation point any further cooling creates precip. As it's rising along the west facing slopes it snows more along these slopes.

When we're talking the micro difference between West Rustler and East Greeley- I'm more inclined to go with explanation 1 more often than not.

KEYHOLE FTW! but i dont think greely has ever had a lack of snow. or less than anywhere else at alta. since it seems like the storms like to stall up in albion basin anyways while the last bit of juice is sucked out by alta and leftovers sent off to colorado

Quote Originally Posted by Paj View Post
    ^ has to do with the prevailing wind direction associated with each storm.
    A juicy hot salty lake in the way is an added bonus.
    Johnny's only sin was dispair

bird snow cam is showing "4 new

Just talked to a P-Dogger, Says they are working on inch number 5, but its kinda grauple-y
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

today on baldy shoulder there was up to about a foot of new. on the heavy side but still sweet - slo mo pow. the base is unstable and slides may be a real problem before this storm is over.