Page 6 of 84 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    Go with the flow and quit worrying about it. Most every year in the Wasatch gets REALLY good at some point.
    word. QFT.

Quote Originally Posted by PROVO View Post
    zach man, you need verts. they help, a lot. Sick shots you guys put together.

as far as october storms, its pointless to speculate about future snowpack. Nobody can guarantee the weather right? Just remember what's there and what happens to it as time goes on. high pressure next week, not a good start.
    you know anything about the local dudes who redesigned the verts with a better binding system and some other improvements? started a thread on em but never heard anything, they were at the BD swap last weekend.

Just got a pair of verts last week. Stoked!!!!!

where'd you find em steve?

I can't wait to move back for the season... 42 days and counting for me. Thanks for posting the early season stoke.

Quote Originally Posted by ectreeskier11 View Post
    where'd you find em steve?
    I actually had a friend find them at a swap. He knew I was looking for them.

i know this is a jong tech question. but, what are Verts?
    and ayuh, holy shit! it looks so good out there. keep the eye candy rolling
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by TheMessenger View Post
    Despite the ok spring, most old timer locals consider last year one of the worst in memory. You just haven't been here long enough. The only positive thing that I can say about last year is that we were really, really lucky more people didn't die.
    correct me if I'm wrong--- wasn't it the early/mid-season crazzzzyyyyy surface hoar that made the second half of the winter months so sketch?

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
    correct me if I'm wrong--- wasn't it the early/mid-season crazzzzyyyyy surface hoar that made the second half of the winter months so sketch?
    pretty sure that's the layer that slid on me.

pretty sure that's the layer that slid on me.
    Mine as well. Feb 16 surface hoar, buried and still reactive in early March in W. Uintas. Read somewhere (will need to find it) that buried surface hoar accounts for most accidents up in BC.

Quote Originally Posted by Ermine View Post
    Mine as well. Feb 16 surface hoar, buried and still reactive in early March in W. Uintas. Read somewhere (will need to find it) that buried surface hoar accounts for most accidents up in BC.
    surface hoar's primarily a maritime issue, that's why last year was so anomalous. usually when it's clear and calm here it's so dry that there's not enough moisture in the air to form surface hoar, while it's obviously abundant in coastal ranges. correct me if i'm wrong but that's my understanding.

surface hoar's primarily a maritime issue,

this thread is devolving so fast... when's it gonna snow again?

surface hoar's primarily a maritime issue, that's why last year was so anomalous. usually when it's clear and calm here it's so dry that there's not enough moisture in the air to form surface hoar, while it's obviously abundant in coastal ranges. correct me if i'm wrong but that's my understanding.
    Makes sense to me. And some years there is considerable overlap between the regions (Maritime, intermountain, continental). I'm sure one of the pro avy dudes/chicas can chime in.

I think it also helps that many N. Utah storms come in warm, wet and windy. Sun and wind help destroy surface hoar. Warm snow helps bonding. It's those dark, hidden, wind protected N. facing open slopes that can keep the surface hoar there when a new storm comes in. Tree run right next to a slope like this might not have the buried surface hoar....pockety.

Quote Originally Posted by otter View Post
    Just got a pair of verts last week. Stoked!!!!!
    bwa
    "... she'll never need a doctor; 'cause I check her out all day"

By analyzing local meteorological data, we confirm that low to moderate wind speed, humid air, and clear-sky nights are the necessary ingredients for the occurrence of significant vapor fluxes toward the surface and thus for the growth of surface hoar.

From a swiss article...whose url I just deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
    By analyzing local meteorological data, we confirm that low to moderate wind speed, humid air, and clear-sky nights are the necessary ingredients for the occurrence of significant vapor fluxes toward the surface and thus for the growth of surface hoar.

From a swiss article...whose url I just deleted.
    i stayed at a holiday inn express last night . no actually i just finished reading "staying alive..." which was something I should have done before last winter. the surface hoar thing just makes sense though and i remember talking about it during avy last year. anyone taking avy 2 this year?

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    what are Verts?
    Verts are for climbing directly up anything that is too steep or deep to skin. very effective little snowshoes for going up chutes and whatnot.

WTF didn't I think'a THAT!!!
    "People ask us to take them skiing, and I'm like, 'REALLY'? I mean if you want to get in an avalanche or just die somehow, then, YEAH, come with US!" - Nathan Wallace

Verts are for climbing directly up anything that is too steep or deep to skin. very effective little snowshoes for going up chutes and whatnot.

oh shit, those make total sense. thanks for sharing. they look wicked easy to stow away in a pack. good stuff.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Wink

nice snowlerblades!!

Surface hoar forms when there is a temperture gradient between the snow and the air. Snow warms in the sun during the day, gets moist, it get cold and clear and then that moisture moves to the surface to create the hoar frost. In other words, Utah is a great climate for surface hoar, you see it form during most periods of high pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Surface hoar forms when there is a temperture gradient between the snow and the air. Snow warms in the sun during the day, gets moist, it get cold and clear and then that moisture moves to the surface to create the hoar frost. In other words, Utah is a great climate for surface hoar, you see it form during most periods of high pressure.
    That's what we call surface hoar around here, and I always thought it was surface hoar, but then I remember some sort of event with moist air last year that the UAC was referring to as surface hoar (or maybe they called it hoar frost). It was nasty and persistent. I can't remember the exact cause, but I do remember hearing that it was more common in maritime climates. I think that the stuff we call surface hoar is really more properly referred to as faceted snow.
    Anyway, your both right, or wrong. Whatever.

HOAR

having toured a ton in the wasatch and the high peaks of nh (maritime), i must say that i've skied epic surface hoar in utah and none i can think of in nh.

when the weather goes high n dry for weeks at a time with clear cold nights the wasatch gets deeper and deeper with it. i swear some of my best touring days in utah have been 2 weeks into a high pressure when most folks got fed up and lost interest and the hoar just got deeper and deeper.

up high in nh, we tend to get so many small snow/wind events that we don't ever really grow the stuff.

mmmmmmmm flaky potatoe chip skiing, mmmmmmmmmm.

rog

Quote Originally Posted by icelanticskier View Post
    having toured a ton in the wasatch and the high peaks of nh (maritime), i must say that i've skied epic surface hoar in utah and none i can think of in nh.

when the weather goes high n dry for weeks at a time with clear cold nights the wasatch gets deeper and deeper with it. i swear some of my best touring days in utah have been 2 weeks into a high pressure when most folks got fed up and lost interest and the hoar just got deeper and deeper.

up high in nh, we tend to get so many small snow/wind events that we don't ever really grow the stuff.

mmmmmmmm flaky potatoe chip skiing, mmmmmmmmmm.

rog
    your posts continue to confound me