Page 2 of 84 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

close range

so much overlooked stuff out there it's unreal. and so much of it is on the way to the busy-er spots.

then there's storm touring. plenty of room to be by yerself when it's puking if ya don't mind breaking trail. some of the best touring days are storm days.

was just day dreaming of my weeky jaunts into mineral before the bird put lifts in there years ago. was a nice place to play. then.

might be time for a return trip.............

rog

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    4. Need to learn to smile, shut the fuck up, and have a good time while you still have a pulse on this earth.
    Well said!

It never ceases to amaze me how much excellent terrain in the Cottonwoods is ignored by the masses. And then there's the southern Wasatch which it seems many Wasatch bc skiers may not even know exists.... I've mentioned Cascade to a few people and they give me a blank look and say "You mean in Washington?" uhhh yea.....

A few lonely inches in TH's sheep pen.

LOOKS LIKE.....

Quote Originally Posted by salida View Post
    A few lonely inches in TH's sheep pen.
    work roads at brighton? looks like what i was skiing on upper punch at sunday river this past weekend, but t2 was "ALLTIME!" shit, my ass still hurts from riding the chair.

git it!

rog

No, not at all. Thinking about nordic skiing until the snow is deep. My bones are too old and fragile to get excited about skiing until it's legit.
    Nothing is legit in the Wasatch. One has to take what they want!

Seriously.
    Johnny's only sin was dispair

Wow, 30 posts...and no trip reports. I see everyone is real excited. I wonder whether we will have 100 posts before there's enough snow to ski?
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Wow, 30 posts...and no trip reports. I see everyone is real excited. I wonder whether we will have 100 posts before there's enough snow to ski?
    Probably. Internet is free, and the first big snow is always exciting, so.........

as someone who is 2000 miles away where it is currently in the 60s and rained all night last night, I say...

This thread is worthless without pictures

I think the high Res models are onto something- both show a real tight bloom of precip downwind of the GSL- right in the LCC/BCC box canyons. Given the water temp and the prevailing wind flow lake enhancement is certainly reasonable over the next 48 hours. Both the 4km resolution models show enhanced precip of roughly .9 to 1.5 inches of water over the next 48 hours. Interesting to see if this pans out as the next shortwave trough will dive into the region in that time frame. Ridging builds in to stablize the atm with upper level WAA from wed. 0 zulu to Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    I think the increase in traffic has more to do with the explosion of BC skiing then people poaching the forum for ideas on where to go. ...Even though I'm sure that happens sometimes, I doubt it coulb compete with the fact that every dick, tom and harry on Dukes is getting on it nowadays.
    It's a hard argument, since the same gear progression that is bringing people out of the woodwork is also making it more fun for us multi-year veterans (not that I consider myself an old-timer by any means). Gear is allowing us to move faster, farther, and ski way way better. Rockered skis and 4-buckle boots make tricky conditions fun rather than a struggle. It even makes skiing over a few tracks (blasphemy!) not such a big deal anymore.

In the end, isn't it really just all about getting out in the beautiful mountains and having a good time? Granted, I love me a line of untouched powder as much as the next guy, but I think it's still a long way from "unbearable" in the central Wasatch. If you're only into touring for the powder (although it IS the best part), I think you're kind of missing the point.

Philosophy aside, this storm (and the resurrection of the Wasatch thread) has my stoke meter pegged. 19 inches and counting!!
    It's like I died and went to heaven, but then it turned out it wasn't my time, and they sent me to a brewery.

Quote Originally Posted by tradygirl View Post
    It's a hard argument, since the same gear progression that is bringing people out of the woodwork is also making it more fun for us multi-year veterans (not that I consider myself an old-timer by any means). Gear is allowing us to move faster, farther, and ski way way better. Rockered skis and 4-buckle boots make tricky conditions fun rather than a struggle. It even makes skiing over a few tracks (blasphemy!) not such a big deal anymore.
    Agreed. That's kind of what I meant with the duke comment, I'm not really blaming the bindings, but the improvement in technology that caused the explosion in BCing

I kind of enjoy seeing other like minded people out in the moutains with the same fucked up priorities and love for the mountains as me -as long as they are prepared and using safe travel etc, It's the fucking idiots dropping in on top of you without a clue that I could strangle. ...but i digress because that is more of a slackcountry at the Canyons problem.

Quote Originally Posted by sliced View Post
    So there won't be any base when you arrive? Good thinking'.
    ya, I would just HATE to have one big storm to start the season off because we all LOVE the depth Hoar instabilities associated with these early season dustings

I'm sure you weren't considering that when you were looking at your calendar for the Brighton WROD, JONG
    Last edited by My Pet Powder Goat; 10-26-2010 at 11:13 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

You all realize that the old guys on the skin track are and were saying the same things about you 10 years ago. "gooddamn new kids...too many people out here."

It happens. Populations grow. Sports evolve. Either venture further out or lend a teaching hand so the guy behind you understands how things work and isn't a line snaking, avy starting dangerous douchebag.

tomorrow i am headin up lcc by bike, thumb, hike method. if i can find my usb cable i will post some pics. it begins.

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
    You all realize that the old guys on the skin track are and were saying the same things about you 10 years ago. "gooddamn new kids...too many people out here."

It happens. Populations grow. Sports evolve. Either venture further out or lend a teaching hand so the guy behind you understands how things work and isn't a line snaking, avy starting dangerous douchebag.
    It happens? Why does it happen, and I don't think it's all about gear? Dynafit was making their binding 20 years ago and "S" skis were around just as long (as well as a host of Euro mountaineering skis if anyone cared to look).

The whole get out and enjoy the beautiful mountains while you have still a pulse idea trumps any naysayers. I'm in 100% agreement that we should all get off the couch, step away from the computer and get outside *wherever* that may be.

Bottom line is that Utah is Ski Central, North, South, East, West, there is skiing everywhere. This past weekend, it appeared that the Tushars had more snow with a lower snowline than the Wasatch. Plenty of places to ski and good snow and terrain all over the state. Access in many places may require a long approach or a sled though.

So one solution (and I don't consider myself constantly whining) is to get the F out of the tri-canyon area. If a zillion people want to ski there (as well as the powderturds + 7 resorts) then more power to them. Go ski, schralp, skin. There is something very special about the tri-canyon area being downwind from the Great Salt Lake when most storms are finishing up (wind direction changes to the NW after frontal passage), the lake effect nozzle comes into action. It's one reason the 'turds like to fly the Northern Powder Circuit--a renewable resource they can use to make $ that a grandma could skin to, given time. This lake effect makes the snow deeper in the tri-canyons and we all know deeper snow sometimes means safer snow (less temperature gradient) or at least less likely to have deep instabilities--a generalization, not a rule. The terrain in the tri-canyons? Fantastic, the snow? hard to beat, and the access? Second to none. The ambiance on a mid-season weekend? Well, to each their own.

Whatever, go ski what you want, post what you want, go do it. No one is stopping you. Meanwhile, yes there are other places to ski with more solitude.

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    ya, I would just HATE to have one big storm to start the season off because we all LOVE the depth Hoar instabilities associated with these early season dustings

I'm sure you weren't considering that when you were looking at your calendar for the Brighton WROD, JONG
    Some of you guys are such tools.

Quote Originally Posted by sliced View Post
    Some of you guys are such tools.
    Depth hoar is a bigger tool.
    TRs, photos, videos, and building skis (2 pairs so far...):
    http://wasatchprotocol.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by TeleThor View Post
    Depth hoar is a bigger tool.
    She's a bitchy whore.

Running into happy, smiling folks on a ski tour is never a bad thing. Sharing a skin track with a bitter, non-talkative fuck is interesting. But I laugh at people like that, because too bad for them they can't enjoy themselves. Grrrrr...go get 'em Tiger, as you race up to Days Fork with a mind full of angst and bitterness.

Same thing goes for the heli. I used to waste a lot of energy acting like it pissed me off. Perhaps age has mellowed me, but I could care less about the heli.

I think most of us have more pressing concerns in life than to worry about who put in the skin track, or how many people are ahead.

In my JONGish opinion, threads and TRs will probably lead people to heard to the good spots. But it would be difficult (though not impossible) to quantify the actual impact.

That's the negative.

The positive is that I've noticed this crew and many of the OG's are really good at promoting awareness. Even if it is in a not-so-nice manner. After getting slammed once in here, I learned my lesson about how I talk about BC trippin'. Thank you My Pet Powder Goat.

The long and short of it is that dumb people will heard and smart ones will avoid those places.

The more experience BC trippers have a lot of knowledge to offer here and do a good job of keeping people informed.

Photo form LP's FB page

Its not letting me upload any images or links, so just copy and paste. This was off of LP's FB page, supposedly taken this morning on Baldy...

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?ei...1.136004604492

In the mean time, is there enough snow in PC to skate at Round Valley yet?
    i'm guessing you won't be skate skiing in round valley till sometime in decemeber, it'll be back to bike riding there in two weeks or less

Same thing goes for the heli. I used to waste a lot of energy acting like it pissed me off. Perhaps age has mellowed me, but I could care less about the heli.

I think most of us have more pressing concerns in life than to worry about who put in the skin track, or how many people are ahead.
    that's funny, most folks get more bitter about the heli as they get older. i also found myself not caring as much. i started going out with real expectations of where i'd be and had a better time for it.

Quote Originally Posted by BRUTAH View Post
    i'm guessing you won't be skate skiing in round valley till sometime in decemeber, it'll be back to bike riding there in two weeks or less
    Yeah, I know. I was more joking.

I know it's ghey, but I'm hoping the summer road at Alta is packed down by the cats so I can get my homo skinny skis out and enjoy it while it lasts.

I don't want to give away anyones stash, so I will just say I was somewhere in tri canyons, and it seemed deep...for January .

About a foot of fluff on top of a pleasantly consolidated base. Only tagged one rock over about 2500 of vertical. Didn't observe anything that made me the least bit alarmed to be out, so take that for what it is worth. Amazing morning to be out; I was really blown away with how "winterish" it looked.

Cubicle observations include a huge shit eating grin, and a bit of dawn patrol stank covered up with cheap cologne. Awesome.
    Keep it unclipped

how bout this, stop taking pics and posting reports...