Page 15 of 84 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    In the end, who gives a shit what the weather might do, doesn't mean shit until you wake up in the morning anyway.
    Actually, some of us do! It might make the difference between waking up in LCC rather than ORD.

I use the weather forecast to see if I need to call the morning report at 5am and call in sick.
    Johnny's only sin was dispair

It's settled

Vacation next week

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Deep View Post
    I use the weather forecast to see if I need to call the morning report at 5am and call in sick.
    I use it to determine if it's worth driving 7 hours for a couple days of skiing before we open here.

I just looked at the latest model guidance and it looks like a ton of atmospheric instability overnight from the 21 to 22 and then again from the 22-23. Should co-incide with spikes in the precip rate. Temps will really support dentritic growth in the second period so you should see some super fuckin flakes in the latter half of the storm. The first half might have some less then puffy snow given the winds and full temp profile

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
    I just looked at the latest model guidance and it looks like a ton of atmospheric instability overnight from the 21 to 22 and then again from the 22-23. Should co-incide with spikes in the precip rate. Temps will really support dentritic growth in the second period so you should see some super fuckin flakes in the latter half of the storm. The first half might have some less then puffy snow given the winds and full temp profile
    So i think what you're saying is its going to come in a little warm (which I had heard/seen) and as the next few days pass and the cold starts coming in with each passing storm phase the snow will get lighter....sounds perfect...some base material to cover up whatever might be left to cover and then the snow we want to see...Utah BLOWER!!!!

Thanks. cant wait.

I will be at Alta on Saturday. Don't usually make is down to the cottonwoods much the last few years. Does anyone want to meed up for some runs?

All the wind and graupel didn't seem effect upper northeast through northwest aspects. The dense snow made for fast and carvable conditions and no instabilities were noted with ski cuts. Rime and wind crusts were observed on the ridgelines.

Full TR @ http://www.zachclantonphotography.com/blog

West faces were jacked today

Ty and I checked out a +200' wide hard slab that probably went on Tues. SSE facing, 2-6' deep and ran on sun-crusted October snow. Sled tracks above the crown made us wonder if it was remotely triggered or a natural.

It slid to the ground where the Oct snow ended. The debris looked scary.

Sheltered NE facing was still skiing alright. Solar aspects were getting damp by noon and everything else is a mess of rime, windboard, and sastrugi.

Also, the Alta slideshow is tonight. http://altaarts.org/events/welcometowinter2010 BYOB.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by ZachClanton View Post
    Damn bro those BE pics from 11/7 fkna rock.
    Headed up silly fork like gnarw said a mix of about every funkified wind jacked snow surface imaginable, good turns on creamy pow sheltered trees of davenport.
    Other than a few weak collapses no real instabilities noted or observed
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Just HAD to X-post this...
    http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/7661505/

So, who is this at BD?
    Bwwwahhhh more of this less and less weather babble please
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

priceless^^^^^^^^^^

more please

rog

you should see some super fuckin flakes in the latter half of the storm. The first half might have some less then puffy snow given the winds and full temp profile
    Oh, now I get it...

& Utah Blower is for pussies!

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Just HAD to X-post this...
    http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/7661505/

So, who is this at BD?
    Bwaahahahaha. You could substitute that BD reference with a whole bunch of other employers. Great job whoever wrote that.

So I don't want to hijack nor do I want to start a new thread...but this is my first season in slc and I am in need of knowledgable touring partners. I can get out most mornings, just need to be at the bottom of the canyon by 915a so I can do the work thing.

If you're interested in showing someone around, send me a pm. Front Range mag references available upon request.

Quote Originally Posted by guest View Post
    Front Range mag references available upon request.
    Colorado references are void in Utardia.

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    Colorado references are void in Utardia.
    What about New Jersey or Black Diamond references?

I was actually very reluctant to go begging for touring partners on tgr but I am having a hard time getting those I do know to tour here. Only trying to give some other random person a way to verify that I might know what to do with a beacon.

Quote Originally Posted by guest View Post
    What about New Jersey or Black Diamond references?
    The only reference valid here.

That is a serious looking avalanche.

I miss trackhead.

Moroni rocks.

[/Utah thread check-in]

3'-4' by wednesday morning!

Def. Possible. The first 1/2 of the storm is just now being captured by higher resolution computer guidance and it keeps getting wetter. This am it was a good 2 inches of water my early monday am...so that's totally possible.

Quite the system.
    I'm actually looking at the 100 inches in 100 hours storm which was in late november 2001 for guidance. Not that we're getting close that here but it's an informative read.

Partners

Well I'll try also.

Santa Fean making a last minute trip to Alta, Thanksgiving - Monday. I would like to do a mellow tour or two. I'll bring my avie gear and skins, but if I can't find a partner I'll just plant my butt in a chair to give y'all something to snicker at. I've taken an avie course, but it's been some years, so this early in the season I'd like to keep it on relatively low angle terrain.

blyslv (at) yahoo.com

I'll be happy to buy beer, any kind of beer.

Staying at the Peruvian (killer deal!).

I will be up at Solitude all weekend - if anyone is up there, would love to meet up for a run.
    Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.

Posted this in last years thread, links to 9 day table of SLC Avy Rose forecasts that could be used for trending.....

http://www.utahclimbers.com/misc/avy9daytable.php

Also this 7 day bottom line compilation:

http://www.utahclimbers.com/misc/avy7.php

(This is working again after the UAC changed the way they archive the forecasts, should be more reliable now too.)

it keeps getting wetter. .

Oh yeah, that's what I like to hear.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.