Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Any info on Dynafit "Powerplate"?

This year's gear review in Backcountry mentions that the Dyna FT12 "returns with a new powerplate that widens the footprint of the binding from 52mm to 74mm" In a later issue they correct themselves and say it is a $20 option.

Anyone know anything about this accesory? Presumably it is to increase lateral rigidity, but these things are so rigid to start with (Lou's testing reveals a lateral rigidity comprable to the Duke and alpine race bindings), whats the point?

Jonathan?

i'm going to purely speculate and say that the "powerplate" is that carbon fiber connector that comes with the FT12. the ones i i had from last season are around 50MM in width and i could see them being widened slightly. i couldn't claim that they helped or hurt lateral rigidity of the ski / binding interface but i would seriously doubt these do anything considering they are a wafer thin plate of CF. my .02.

Just intrigued by this post and know nothing of product, but speculate it sounds like a piece that would go under the heel and toe allowing a wider bolt pattern mounted to the ski.

There's been the very rare issue that I've read about of the toe piece pulling out on wider (or sawdust core) skis due to the amount of leverage and the relatively narrow bolt footprint. So bindings mount to powerplate and powerplate mounts to skis. Now I'll go search the interwebz....

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Sizzler View Post
    Just intrigued by this post and know nothing of product, but speculate it sounds like a piece that would go under the heel and toe allowing a wider bolt pattern mounted to the ski.

There's been the very rare issue that I've read about of the toe piece pulling out on wider (or sawdust core) skis due to the amount of leverage and the relatively narrow bolt footprint. So bindings mount to powerplate and powerplate mounts to skis. Now I'll go search the interwebz....
    I'd be surprised about that.

Dynafit made and marketed a "Carving Plate" that was close to 75mm wide. It was just 2 molded plastic plates (that slid together to account for differences in boot length) + longer screws.

Quote Originally Posted by harpo-the-skier View Post
    Jonathan?
    This thread already has more analytical thought than any bc mag AT gear review. (I mean, a paid subscription & newstand color print publication that, for example, lists boot weights without any indication of what size was weighed?) By contrast, if Off Piste mag says so in the upcoming gear review issue, I'll take it seriously.
    Anyway, the picture in the September issue clearly shows the same mounting pattern width that has been in effect since the mid 1990s (despite the new white color scheme that's available for the FT12). And the German Dynafit website, which lists bindings and binding-related products that aren't yet available in the U.S. market as well as ones that are not intended for the U.S. market at any point this season, has no indication of any wider-footprint binding or binding-related add-on product.
    In theory, I don't think a wider mounting pattern would have any significant effect on boot<>ski coupling rigidity, plus Dynafit is already sufficient in that department for backcountry skiing. Whether a wider mounting pattern and/or a binding>plate/shim>ski two-step mounting pattern would resist binding pull-out better, I have no idea.
    For the carbon (?) overlay ("torsion bridge"), I don't think widening would make any difference, since based on handling it during the mounting process, I just don't understand what it's doing. It's not really a bridge since although the separate toe and heel pieces overlap, well, they're separate (and are free to move back and forth relatively to each other). And they're not torsionally stiff at all, especially relative to how torsionally stiff any ski is. I think the only advantage is that if you cut off the excess, then you're left with toe and heel mounting plates that are a bit lighter than the ST equivalents?
    BTW, kind of amusing that the first (and only relevant) google hit for "Dynafit powerplate" is to this thread.

I can't find any info on a powerplate, but I did pull up the website and found a pretty awesome piece of engineering in that new super light race binding they're making this year.

The FT12 Powerplate is an add-on accessory that goes under the toe of the FT12. It will retail for $25 and be available around early December. It changes the footprint of the TOE ONLY from 52mm to 74mm. It does not, as far as I know, change the mounting pattern.

According to Dynafit, the heel of the FT12 is already slightly more laterally rigid than the Vertical ST, so the idea of this add-on is to make the toe more rigid as well. They are recommending it for skis over 90mm underfoot.

I have not seen it in person. These pictures come from the pdf that the Dynafit North America folks gave to me and the above info is my recollection of the conversation I had with them about it.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    It does not, as far as I know, change the mounting pattern.
    That is definitely clear from the pics (and thanks!), since the actual binding and its mounting frame are unchanged. Seems to essentially be a lateral baseplate extension to cradle the toe piece "wings" so in theory this would offer further support to the pivot points of the pincers. However, I wonder whether those wings ever really flex so much that some sort of wedge between them and the ski topskin would ever come into play?
    (Note that this isn't an issue with the Vertical ST and Speed, since their baseplates leave only ~3mm on each wing unsupported.)

Hmmmm...Looks like an FT12 with toe powerplate for my new DPS 112RPs.

Weird looking pins, etc. eh?

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Weird looking pins, etc. eh?
    I was focusing so much on the rest of the diagram that I didn't even noticed that the toe pincers were omitted!

How much weight does it add?

Quote Originally Posted by harpo-the-skier View Post
    How much weight does it add?
    9oz

re: the carbon crap on the FT12

I thought about this a bunch and I'm pretty sure the carbon crap on the FT12 serves two purposes:

1) Look sexy = sell more pairs to the bros
    2) Ensures that the toe and heel are mounted parallel to the center. Its basically impossible to mount the toepiece of an FT12 twisted off the ski centerline, and quite easy to do so if you're not careful on the other dynafits.

I used a dremel to remove mine.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    They are recommending it for skis over 90mm underfoot.
    Let me preface this question by saying that I am already drinking the kool-aid. But doesn't this reccomendation kind of support the long-held rumour (that we have all been denying to high hell around here) that dynafits on wide skis isn't an ideal fit? And from the company itself?

I'm not saying I'm not going to do it... just kind of devil's-avocating.

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    I thought about this a bunch and I'm pretty sure the carbon crap on the FT12 serves two purposes
    I heard somewhere (probably here) that it was intended to make the binding look less "weany" for the US market... simply to overcome an emotional bias based on appearances.
    Life is not lift served.

Now that I'm on coffee and not Sauvignon Blanc, I think the thing just adds weight, with minimal support to the sidewings. Someone needs to go to Marmot mountain works in Bellevue on Nov. 3rd and ask the Dynafit guy(s):

MARMOT MOUNTAIN WORKS in Bellevue has been chosen by Dynafit as one of only four Dynafit Competency Centers in all of North America! Whoopdeefuckingdoo!

To celebrate this notoriety, Marmot is hosting “Dynafit Day” at their Bellevue store location on Wednesday November 3rd 2010.

Here is the schedule of events for Dynafit Day:

10:00 AM to 7:15 PM – DYNAFIT SPECIAL PROMOTION!
    Buy $500 of Dynafit product and receive a coupon for $50 OFF our Avalanche Class.
    Buy $1000 of Dynafit product and receive a coupon for $100 OFF our Avalanche Class.
    (The Avalanche Class is normally $205. Dynafit product must be paid for on 11/3/10. Coupon is transferable)

6:30 PM to 7:15 PM – DYNAFIT MEET AND GREET COCKTAIL HOUR! ALL CAPS FOR EXCITEMENT!!!!!
    Meet and talk to the Dynafit Factory Representatives about Alpine Touring and Randonnee Racing. The store will be open for business with extended hours during this time. Beer, Wine, and snacks provided.

7:30 PM – FREE SLIDESHOW: EXPLORING & SKIING IN THE BAJANG REGION OF FAR WESTERN NEPAL
    Please RSVP for the Dynafit Meet and Greet Cocktail Hour, and the Free Slideshow to:

Marmot Mountain Works
    827 Bellevue Way NE
    Bellevue, WA 98004
    425-453-1515

Yo engineers: Okay, so it looks like window dressing happy horseshit, but, in theory, is it possible that addition of these compression members might prevent some pullouts? That is, these compression members might lessen toe wing wiggle and resultant "working" of the binding screws. In theory.

I'm definitely going to use these on my new mounts. I've noticed a hudge amount of slop in the toe due to the gap these are supposed to fill on my Vertical. I really can see this when I'm in tour mode. I don't have any slop on my Comforts and I think its because the baseplate goes all the way to the wings. Some guy at Bentgate sold me on this theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I heard somewhere (probably here) that it was intended to make the binding look less "weany" for the US market... simply to overcome an emotional bias based on appearances.
    It definitely wasn't emotional bias that caused my toe to flex out of my binding in tour mode several times last year sidehill skinning up a bunch of firm frozen shit.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Anybody know how these things are attached? Looks like an easy breezy thing to machine from HDPE or Al alloy. Maybe a weekend project if the Pineapple Xpress hits tomorrow AM (which, alas, appears to be the current NWS forecast)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    Anybody know how these things are attached? Looks like an easy breezy thing to machine from HDPE or Al alloy. Maybe a weekend project if the Pineapple Xpress hits tomorrow AM (which, alas, appears to be the current NWS forecast)
    I was thinking the same thing. Can you make 4 of them for 25 bucks though?
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Spot reserved --

I've got some Powerplates comin', hopefully a pair within the next few days. Pics & observations soon.
    == | slacktopia | ==
    http://twitch.tv/fugitivephilo
    still bangin' beats

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. Can you make 4 of them for 25 bucks though?
    Free for me because I've got HDPE stock, Al alloy stock and a vertical mill in my basement shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    Free for me because I've got HDPE stock, Al alloy stock and a vertical mill in my basement shop.
    With that information, you'll get a random pm from from me someday asking for you to make and sell me some odd piece to go either on a mountain bike or a piece of camera equipment.

Hey khyber: where did you get them?

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    It definitely wasn't emotional bias that caused my toe to flex out of my binding in tour mode several times last year sidehill skinning up a bunch of firm frozen shit.
    I had the same problem. I thought it was because I'm a pretty big tuna. Try watching how much slop there is when you torque your hear about in tour mode. Its pretty bad on my skis. I thought the screws were pulling out.(which they eventually will)