Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/03/he.../03lancet.html

Dr. Wakefield’s paper reported on his examinations of 12 children with chronic intestinal disorders who had a history of normal development followed by severe mental regressions. He speculated that the combined measles, mumps and rubella vaccine may have caused some sort of chronic intestinal measles infection that in turn damaged the children’s brains. He suggested that the combined vaccine should be split into three separate shots and given over a longer period of time.

But an investigation by a British journalist found financial and scientific conflicts that Dr. Wakefield did not reveal in his paper. For instance, part of the costs of Dr. Wakefield’s research were paid by lawyers for parents seeking to sue vaccine makers for damages. Dr. Wakefield was also found to have patented in 1997 a measles vaccine that would succeed if the combined vaccine were withdrawn or discredited.

After years of investigation, the General Medical Council in Britain concluded that Dr. Wakefield had subjected 11 children to invasive tests like lumbar punctures and colonoscopies that they did not need and for which he did not receive ethical approval.

After Dr. Wakefield’s study, vaccination rates plunged in Britain and the number of measles cases soared.

This shit really sucks because some parents obsess about what they may or may not be doing to their children (ie. my wife).

http://www.usatoday.com/yourlife/hea...vaccines_N.htm

Quote Originally Posted by ectreeskier11 View Post
    True story: I stopped talking for a year or so when i was 3 or 4 years old (after already having a pretty good command), within a couple days after getting a vaccine of some sort (forget which one). Coincidence? Maybe. But I skipped a bunch after that and am one of the healthier people you're ever going meet.
    Quote Originally Posted by ski.stealer View Post
    Any chance there's a vaccine floating around that would stop you from posting for a year?
    have you ever even posted anything ski related? i mean this is a ski forum after all.
    Ha! ski.stealer definitely wins this round!

We always hear that autism is on the rise, but is it possible it just wasn't diagnosed accurately in the past? It seems like up until fairly recently many people were just classified as "mentally retarded."

Or "Spaz" or "Weirdo" or "quiet kid".....

Has there really been a dramatic rise in autism? Not doubting it, just curious if that is a true statistic. My neighbor's kid has assburgers syndrom. I think the whole family has it, but anyway that is something I hadn't heard of until recently. Now I know a few cases other than them. I guess the kid is really smart. He skipped like 4-6 grades in school. He is socially very awkward and off, but otherwise not anything like other autistic kids I've been around.
    .....Visit my website. .....

"a yin without a yang"

Seriously, it seems to me like Autism is the new explanation for why your kid isn't perfect in school

What ADHD isn't a cool enough disorder anymore? I guess when 75% of school kids were being diagnosed with ADHD, you need something else to explain why your kid doesn't quite fit in right

Is there a rise in the number of autism diagnosis? Sure but EVERYONE can't have autism folks, just like EVERY kid who acted out WASN'T ADHD
    For sure, you have to be lost to find a place that can't be found, elseways everyone would know where it was

I think it is pretty fucking obvious when a kid has autism. I don't think you can compare it to adhd. These parents aren't making it up, there kids are not normal for sure. I think maybe we are linking traditional autism to a lot of other similar syndroms. Aspergers, is very different, but every kid I've met with it is definitely off. But they function at a really high level compared to other autistic kids.

I've never seen anyone fake autism, except patrick, but he was wooing a whale so that doesn't count.

"a yin without a yang"

Aspergers (assburgers is pretty funny) is now included with Autism in the Autism spectrum which can range from socially awkward and avoiding eye contact all the way to full on rain man. My GF teaches grade 6 and has had a few autism spectrum students in her 8 year career. I've had one that I noticed in one of the physics classes I TA'ed. I had a good friend in elementary school who in retrospect must have had Aspergers. I remember seeing an article a few years ago called something like Autism: Engineering's dirty secret.

I'd say that increased diagnosis is definitely one cause of the seeming rise. In some ways it's good that these people are being recognized so that they and their classmates learn how to deal with it.

My GF also seems to be getting a lot of students and parents for that matter with anxiety disorders.

Up there I said there kids when what I meant up there is their kids. I hope that clarifies any lack of coherence on my part.

"a yin without a yang"

Quote Originally Posted by hafilax View Post
    I remember seeing an article a few years ago called something like Autism: Engineering's dirty secret.
    Close.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...r_open_secret_

You so and sos with your facts and science....

WHERE THE HELL DO YOU GET OFF?!!!!!

Oh, and aspberger's is rampant in the IT world. I think our whole software development team probably qualifies.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    That's the one. I guess it was IT and not engineering after all. Sorry engineers.

I wasn't looking at your cleavage, I have assburgers.

"a yin without a yang"

"If all 20 million of us would gather in one place, would we be the 'different ones' then? Would we then be considered to have a 'syndrome' or 'condition'?"

pretty much sums up my thoughts on humanity.

"a yin without a yang"

Quote Originally Posted by ski.stealer View Post
    hmmm... A little analysis is in order..

TGR - Total Forums: 21

Skiing forums: .5

Total forums relating to snow in general: 3

Total forums not related to snow or skiing: 18

So, you tell me - Is TGR a "ski forum"? Be sure to cross post your answer to Sprocket Rockets, Kayaks, and Fishing.

You're a retard. ski/snowboard... almost 1.2 million views and 52k threads. Tech talk and gear swap are 98% ski/board and they're another half million views... That's more than all the others combined and then some.

So yeah, you fucking JONG BITCH... It's a goddam ski forum, so suck a fucking moose cock already.

Edit: wait just a second... Did the alias that's supposedly Seth Morrison really just start a troll thread???? Could it be???
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post

then again, they also thing Obama is the antichrist, gays and jews are the biggest problem in our world today, and that the 2nd coming of the lord is any day now. I just keep my mouth shut and family dinners so I don't get lynched.
    You are related to DBT?

For your sake, I hope retardation is not genetic.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Best part of the link...

“I used to say that the tide would turn when children started to die. Well, children have started to die,” Offit says, frowning as he ticks off recent fatal cases of meningitis in unvaccinated children in Pennsylvania and Minnesota. “So now I’ve changed it to ‘when enough children start to die.’ Because obviously, we’re not there yet.”
    Kids in California are dieing of whooping cough, fucking whooping cough!!!, because people are not getting vaccinated. If they are dieing of whooping cough, just wait until we have a measles or polio out break

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

The quack that ran the "trial" has already been covered. To add, the amount of mercury in older vaccines was less than a can of tuna.

Edit to add PBS has an excellent documentary on the subject: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/vaccines/view/

But I skipped a bunch after that and am one of the healthier people you're ever going meet.
    Skipping cures autism? Who'da thunk it?
    Gravity. It's the law.

i never said i didn't have autism.

i never said i didn't have autism.
    You're not autistic. Retarded in some other ways without a doubt, but please save us the whole assburglars syndrome tapdance. All that means is you paid someone to identify you as an antisocial loser, when I could have told you that for free. Dumbass.

As usual, the truth lies somewhere in between the two extreme positions of "vaccines make kids autistic, so don't vaccinate" and "all vaccines are a net public health good and you are a monster if you refuse any of them at any time."

Mercury and other contaminants are basically a red herring. The pulling of thimerosal from vaccines doesn't seem to have had a measurable effect on autism rates, which continue to rise -- and there have been several reasonably convincing cohort studies on this.

What is true is that the number of autism cases correlates with the number of vaccines given to children -- particularly the incidence of multiple vaccinations per doctor visit. In 1960, the average child was vaccinated against 5 diseases before age two, with 8 injections possible, and only two injections administered per visit.
    In 1970, that number rose to 7 diseases, but only 5 injections due to combination shots, with only two injections possible at once.
    In 2000, children received vaccinations against 11 diseases over 20 injections before age two, with up to 5 injections possible during a single visit!
    And this number is still increasing.
    http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...l/109/1/124/T1

Similarly, autism cases have exploded, particularly since 1990:

What seems most probable is that each vaccination carries a tiny but measurable risk of causing an adverse reaction, possibly in combination with environmental factors we don't know about...and the more we vaccinate, especially when we stack up to five injections during a single visit, the more likely an adverse reaction becomes.

The medical papers I've seen which purport to address this argument are amazingly bullshitty. For instance, this one: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi...10.1086/596476

...boldly claims that "Vaccines do not overwhelm the immune system," and then admits blandly that "No studies have compared the incidence of autism in vaccinated, unvaccinated, or alternatively vaccinated children (i.e., schedules that spread out vaccines, avoid combination vaccines, or include only select vaccines)."

Riiiiiight.

It also makes bald assertions that "Autism is not an immune-mediated disease" based on finding no inflammatory lesions in the CNS...which is just as absurd as saying lupus can't cause arthritis because there are no inflammatory lesions in the joints.

Again, I call obvious bullshit.

Please do not confuse me with Jenny McCarthy or any other anti-vaccination kook. Vaccination is smart and a good idea. But we've tripled the vaccination load on kids since I was little, and our generation wasn't exactly dropping dead from infectious disease...so the marginal benefit from increased vaccination may well be overshadowed by the disadvantage of increased autism.

Nothing is proven either way at this point...but I find the assertions from the medical world that the issue is completely decided, despite a complete lack of data, to be extremely disturbing.

/\/\/\ - great post

perhaps, like the extreme liberals vs extreme conservatives, those in modern western medicine take their "all vaccines are safe as we give them" stance in an effort to combat the sometimes militant approach of the "vaccines=autism" camp, thereby hoping that the general public will end up somewhere in the middle with most parents trusting enough to get all the shots.

but I agree with what you said, hopefully those in public health are researching the risks/benefits of spacing out the shots.

will be very hard IMHO to prove that spacing them out lessens the incidence of autism since likely the rates will continue to go up as more kids get labeled for various behaviours.

but if spacing the shots out more doesnt bring on a much higher risk of getting one of the preventable diseases then at least the option is out there for doctors and parents to choose a regimen.

Quote Originally Posted by axebiker View Post
    Skipping cures autism? Who'da thunk it?
    That one got me
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community