Page 113 of 508 FirstFirst ... 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 ... LastLast
Results 2,801 to 2,825 of 12697
    Because scorpions

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    Because scorpions
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    You know vans have really turned a corner when the narrative becomes "something the Front Range poseurs will buy to look cool" rather than "something Uncle Rico's been using to commit crimes." This is an excellent development.
    As a "Front Range poseur" with a white, AWD, lifted Astro camping van I'm quite happy about this development. Even the lonely cougars in A$pen loved hearing about our van camping last weekend.

10K seems a bit optimistic to me. 230K is a lot of miles. Sounds like all the work done should get it to 350k pretty easy which isn't uncommon for these vans. Add cost of lifts, boxes, finish work (whether its b-grade or not those materials and hours cost money), inverter/battery setup, mattress and vent. 7-8K probably would get it sold in this market. I bought a lifted van w/ front swivels and some other minor upgrades for 5.5K last year w/ 100K less on the clock. He had other people at his house offering him more when we were signing the paper work.

Quote Originally Posted by Cascadian View Post
    Hey MK,

Check out this set of options from the Great White North: http://overlandex.com/ (lite industries guys from AB)

Not priced in the GXV stratosphere, unless you want to, and no pop-up tent sides to mess with, and no wood.
    I am not in the market but I always love to dream and spend other peoples cash. Thanks for the stoke from the narth!

^Nice Doebedoe

Here's one for somebody from Denver CL , ready to customize, only 6,700 miles....no AWD but damn its nice for $12,500 asking
    Says former Gubment Surveillance vehicle so has to be already set up for stealth mode

https://www.google.com/url?hl=en&q=h...TUyXfB8DrekAHQ

Name:  2a.jpg
Views: 1221
Size:  23.6 KB
    Name:  1a.jpg
Views: 1173
Size:  27.5 KB
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3a.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	203474
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4a.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	203475

2004 Ford E-150 Explorer Custom 1 Owner Fleet Government Van High Top Conversion

year 2004
    drive train Rear Wheel Drive
    make Ford
    ext color White
    model Econoline 150 w/ HD Rear Axle
    int color Tan
    sub model High Top Custom Explorer Conversion
    vin 1FDRE14L64HA03281
    engine 5.4 Liter Triton V8
    mileage 6788
    transmission Automatic OD

This is a neat van we pulled out of Texas. It was used as a government surveillance training van and has only traveled 6700 some miles since new. The van was a custom ordered vehicle when new and outfitted with equipment for surveillance which has since been removed. Now the vehicle is a perfect platform for a camper or travel buildout and it has barely been broken in at this point. The body and paint look original, cabin space up front is immaculate, basically smells new, upholstery is perfect, and the van drives every bit as nice as it looks. The rear cargo space is insulated and mostly fitted, leaving you to set it up easily however you want. This may be the lowest mileage 04 Econoline in the country and with the high top, 5.4, and heavy duty 9 inch rear posi diff, it's the most desirable setup.

Our location is 3/4 mile east of Washington on 68th in North Denver. We are 3/4 Mile East of DTI Trucks. You can also access us via 270 and York if you're familiar with the area. Check for our sign DENVER FLEET out on 68th, we're Unit C in the Back!! Thanks!

Other Notes Misc:

exterior
    This van is in super clean shape and should be with 6k miles. It came from Texas in a suburb of Dallas and it hasn't seen any road salt or lots of moisture so no rust to speak of. The paint has nice gloss and the fiberglass on the roof isn't peeling anywhere. The wheels and glass shine, and tires have nice deep tread. The decals are also still in nice shape, it's possible that the van was garaged or at least parked covered a good deal of its' life. The only things to mention are a ding in the rear bumper which we will replace as part of the sale, and a small nick in the right rear door. The rest of the van is just beautiful and shows just like the photos.

interior
    The cabin is beautiful. The upholstery is soft and there's no in/out wear, steering wheel feels like new, power accessories all in nice working order and air blows nice and cold. The carpet is great, dash, doors, headliner all just super clean. This van has a partition with a pass through to the rear like RV vehicles. It's all fitted and insulated and very nice, rear of the van is basically meant to be sound proofed. There is a good deal of insulation throughout the rear cargo space, van in general just rides perfectly quiet.

The rear space in this van was originally meant for surveillance equipment which has been removed. All the wiring has been capped off and either removed and tucked away behind the paneling. There are a few small portions where cover plates or fitting is missing, we can clean some of that up further as needed. The flooring has a track for a chair that's no longer in the van, and the rear left corner has a couple vents for an HVAC unit that's no longer in the van. The easiest fix is to cover these with plates and fit a new bed-rug which we can do for you if you like.

One of the plastic window trimmings on the left rear door has a crack, there's velcro affixed to some of the trimmings for blackout curtains, 2 of which the van still has, basically it's all in very good shape, but will need just a little finish attention while you outfit it for your purpose.

We deal with a lot of different clientele with different needs for their vehicles, and although we don't do full RV conversions, we can upfit your van a bit as needed. Please examine the photos and call with questions.

mechanic
    This van runs and drives like it should, like new. The only thing we did was change the oil, filter, and do a rear differential service which is when we found it has the oversize ring and pinion with limited slip diff. It's almost a Dana 60 under the rear of this van, meant to haul a good deal of weight. The undercarriage is sparkling, it's been fun for us to see one of these vans so clean when most of what we sell has 150k on it. This van is barely broken in, it has a lifetime of use yet to go.
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

^ I just clicked on my own link and its gone. hope a mag got this....it sure was cool and ultra low mileage
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

That is a fucking rad van @MiCol. Certainly worthy of a build and maybe a Ujoint 4x4 conversion.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    That is a fucking rad van @MiCol. Certainly worthy of a build and maybe a Ujoint 4x4 conversion.
    very cool!! Surprised uncle sam didn't spring for the E250. Almost looks like he did. I'm close to giving up on the idea of a 4x4 van. Not that I have any money but I mean geez, for the cost savings you could tow a small 4x4 behind the van and camp in the valley. Then again, I suppose it would have to be an awful small 4x4 for that setup to not be a pain in the ass on winter roads. E250/350 would prolly help that. Nice to know what at least one gubment surveillance vehicle looks like
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Quote Originally Posted by MiCol View Post
    . . . it has the oversize ring and pinion with limited slip diff.
    Hmmmmm. Rear end ratio? Could be steep for hauling surveillance equipment then parking/spying for extended periods, so maybe not the best highway setup. Nice looking rape van-type rig for sure.

Might not be many miles but I bet they idled the shit out of it. Or is that really no big deal with modern engines since the RPMs are low and constant?
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post
    very cool!! Surprised uncle sam didn't spring for the E250. Almost looks like he did. I'm close to giving up on the idea of a 4x4 van. Not that I have any money but I mean geez, for the cost savings you could tow a small 4x4 behind the van and camp in the valley. Then again, I suppose it would have to be an awful small 4x4 for that setup to not be a pain in the ass on winter roads. E250/350 would prolly help that. Nice to know what at least one gubment surveillance vehicle looks like
    I was actually pricing out a 4x4 van the other day.

Turns out you can get a fully loaded Nissan NV for around 37K (cheaper if you want the cargo version). Add 13K for a Quigley conversion and you're getting a brand new 4x4 van for cheaper than a similarly equipped Suburban or other full size SUV.

The crazy thing is the used market for 4x4 vans is insane. I regularly see really high mileage 15 year old Ford vans selling for 30K around me. The only thing crazier than those prices are the prices for old VW Westfalias.

15 years old and over 100K miles and going for 32K

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/cto/6059595696.html

This thing is pretty sweet and I'd pick it up in a second if I had the time for a third vehicle. A steal for 5K.

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/6023556379.html

I'm still looking at an '04 F350 7.3L with a Lance slide in camper. Pretty nice setup with lots of upgrades and well taken care of.

My question is this: If I am planning to use this for winter camping away from plug-in's, is there any way to keep the diesel engine starting reliably in the cold? Some sort of battery powered warming device or something? Any way around having to plug the damn thing in or run it all the time to keep from freezing up?

Quote Originally Posted by Kailua_Boys View Post
    The crazy thing is the used market for 4x4 vans is insane. I regularly see really high mileage 15 year old Ford vans selling for 30K around me. The only thing crazier than those prices are the prices for old VW Westfalias.
    Vans, esp AWD/4x4 or at least Fire-Road capable seem to be fetching big premiums compared to similarly equipped trucks or SUVs. In my experience that's partially cache, and also because vans are just far more comfortable to camp in. Not necessarily more comfortable to sleep in, but if you need to spend lots of time inside (rain / snow / winter) vans beat all other setups except slide-ins/RVs.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    I'm still looking at an '04 F350 7.3L with a Lance slide in camper. Pretty nice setup with lots of upgrades and well taken care of.

My question is this: If I am planning to use this for winter camping away from plug-in's, is there any way to keep the diesel engine starting reliably in the cold? Some sort of battery powered warming device or something? Any way around having to plug the damn thing in or run it all the time to keep from freezing up?
    As long as it's not too cold (in the low 20s), and you have good batteries, the glow plugs will work fine. Once it gets below 20 I make sure the diesel has additive in it to prevent gelling but I'm really paranoid about gelling.

There's nothing worse than bleeding fuel lines on your truck when it's 0° outside... If it gets really cold out I put #1 diesel (at least a 50/50 blend) in my truck. Sure you have no power and get shit mileage with #1 but it doesn't gel up.

You can also get a small generator and plug the truck into to warm the engine block before you leave.

Diesel treat

And FYI an '04 F350 will have a 6.0 not a 7.3. They stopped putting 7.3s in pickups in '03.

Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    And FYI an '04 F350 will have a 6.0 not a 7.3. They stopped putting 7.3s in pickups in '03.
    Yup. Better double check the VIN.

Quote Originally Posted by kai_ski View Post
    Yup. Better double check the VIN.
    I might be wrong, but I think there a few 03s running around with the 7.3l.

I love that engine. We have a 7.3l in a f250 and its a beast and just keeps going. The rest of the truck is falling apart though.

I might be wrong, but I think there a few 03s running around with the 7.3l.

I love that engine. We have a 7.3l in a f250 and its a beast and just keeps going. The rest of the truck is falling apart though.
    Yes. Early '03s had the 7.3. They switched over to the 6.0 in the middle of '03

Quote Originally Posted by MiCol View Post
    its gone
    That was an interesting opportunity for sure.
    If I wasn't skiing that day I would have gone just to check it out.
    As per above I'm sure it idled for hours and yeah I'm sure that carboned up the engine some, but at 7,000 miles still tons of life left. Wonder if they smoked cigs in it and if anyone died in it?

Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    Yes. Early '03s had the 7.3. They switched over to the 6.0 in the middle of '03
    Read that wrong, the 2004 definitely does not have the 7.3l.

I recently rented a new transit and it was great. Just wish it came with awd. I don't plan to do any serious trails just service roads and snow.
    Last edited by Kailua_Boys; 03-31-2017 at 12:58 PM.

I don't get it. I bought a low mileage mid-2000s truck and a bigfoot camper for 1/3 of that cost. And I can take the camper out and I have a useful vehicle for hauling stuff.

The moral of the story is, if you're gonna do vanlife, finance a new van, build it out, sell it before the bubble pops and count your monies.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Vans, esp AWD/4x4 or at least Fire-Road capable seem to be fetching big premiums compared to similarly equipped trucks or SUVs. In my experience that's partially cache, and also because vans are just far more comfortable to camp in. Not necessarily more comfortable to sleep in, but if you need to spend lots of time inside (rain / snow / winter) vans beat all other setups except slide-ins/RVs.
    I love vans, but I would never pay a huge premium for the 4x4 ones. Plus, you're getting a huge compromise with a 4x4 van compared to a dedicated trail rig. My minivan with snow tires does well in winter climates and if needed then I'll chain up and get to most places that I want to go. I have no desire to take a nice car down a off road trail. Hardcore offroading is terrible for your vehicle and constantly breaks things. I just like to explore and drive down mild forest roads. Plus, most vehicles can make it further than people think with good driving. This video proves it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFwPXEeJ3aI&t=26s

I'll probably buy a NV passenger van next and put a small leveling kit in and it'll be good enough for my needs. I really just want a place to put a cot to sleep and carry all my families stuff. I would much rather deal with chains than deal with maintaining a 4wd system that isn't from the factory.

My first car was a Ford Aerostar. V6 and 5 speed manual. It was built on the Ford Ranger chasis. The van was perfect. I could sleep in the back and put a bunch of surfboards and people in there with no problem. It was nimble enough that driving it wasn't a chore unlike an e series van. I wish they still made something like the Chevy Astro/Ford Aerostar.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    I don't get it. I bought a low mileage mid-2000s truck and a bigfoot camper for 1/3 of that cost. And I can take the camper out and I have a useful vehicle for hauling stuff.
    Can't flex as hard on instagram with that kind of setup. no #vanlife tags allowed