TR: Hat Creek Ranch/Fall River

Went up to Hat Creek Ranch and the Fall River this past weekend.

Hat Creek Ranch is pretty cool: ~1mi of the creek flows through the ranch, plus 3 ponds. The creek is not huge, and pretty choked with trees and weeds, making access and casting tricky, but there are some surprisingly large fish in there.

My brother jumps right into a canoe when we get to Pond #3...

...hooks a fish...

...goes to net it...

...and promptly dumps his shit into the lake. It was awesome.

Had to swim the canoe over to the shore. Amazingly, he didn't lose anything and landed the fish.

Pond #2 had some hogs in it that wouldn't sniff anything on the surface but went apeshit for a crystal bugger.

The headshakes from these guys were thumping

Mt. Shasta over the Fall River

Action on the Fall was tougher to come by, but we were able to bring in fish on small PMD dries early, a leech, and later in the day on Bird's Nests and other caddis nymphs.

Classic!

Nice fish, do you have to pay for access?

The Fall cont'd

Back at Hat Creek Ranch

A nice fish out of Pond #1

A nice little hole on the creek

Back at Pond #2

We fished Upper Hat Creek on the way back to Tahoe - it's a sweet section of water that goes for miles twisting through lava fields.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathVan View Post
    Classic!

Nice fish, do you have to pay for access?
    Yeah you do. We stayed in the guest house right on the creek which includes access, so I'm not sure what the day rate is, but I'm sure it ain't cheap.

Wow, not to many people hit the upper section of Hat. Used to be a hidden gem but now it doesn't hold the quality of fish it used to for whatever reason. HC Ranch is a fun place and good peeps. The tippy canoe pic is great. Nice report.

Nice TR! Looks like you guys did really well and stuck some nice fish. I got to fish the Fall River for 3 days in July, and I must say it was cool and, very, humbling.

I love when rainbows look like that, with spots even on their jaws. Very nice fish!
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra