Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    Recently read and recommended: American Rust by Philipp Meyer (fiction), and Short Nights of the Shadow Catcher by Timothy Egan (non-fiction about photographer Edward Curtis).

Bump. What's everyone been reading lately?

Just finished "The Boys in the Boat" by Daniel James Brown and it blew my socks off. Story of the '36 Olympics Crew Team from the University of Washington and their quest for gold in Nazi Germany. The story starts when the boys are freshmen at UW and concludes at the Olympics. I've never rowed crew, but I've always appreciated it: this book only added to that appreciation (and respect). I don't think my heart rate has ever gotten that high while reading (about their races, except maybe for Seabiscuit). Check it out: http://www.amazon.com/Boys-Boat-Amer...ys+in+the+boat

Also just finished "The Perfect Mile" about trying to beat the four minute mile in '50s. If you're a runner, you definitely have to check it out. http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Mile-A...ur+minute+mile

What's everyone reading this Spring?

Hugh Howey, "Dust". If you are planning on reading the Silo trilogy, I recommend reading "Shift", then "Wool", then "Dust". He wrote "Wool" first, but the wrote the prequel, "Shift". There is a little overlap and "Wool" is better.

Quote Originally Posted by boarddad View Post
    Hugh Howey, "Dust". If you are planning on reading the Silo trilogy, I recommend reading "Shift", then "Wool", then "Dust". He wrote "Wool" first, but the wrote the prequel, "Shift". There is a little overlap and "Wool" is better.
    Agreed, on the order, and also highly recommend.

Nothing Is True and Everything Is Possible by Peter Pomerantsev

"Pomerantsev, born in the UK to Russian émigré parents, spent almost a decade in Moscow working as a TV producer, making documentaries and reality shows for Russian audiences. He arrived in the early 2000s, in the midst of an oil boom that brought a measure of prosperity to many and huge wealth to a select few, creating a tidal wave of glitz and extravagance, especially in the capital. Nothing Is True and Everything Is Possible is an entertaining if at times bleak chronicle of these years, depicting a world “where gangsters become artists, gold‑diggers quote Pushkin, Hells Angels hallucinate themselves as saints”. The cast of characters is so bizarre they must be real, from bearded nationalist bikers to self-help cultists and their supermodel victims. (Pomerantsev tells us that while only 15% of the world’s oil comes from the former USSR, it accounts for half the catwalk models in Paris and Milan.) We also meet Vitali Dyomochka, a Siberian hoodlum turned cineaste. Dissatisfied with the quality of crime dramas on Russian TV – “it was all fake” – he took to making his own series"

Pretty good read.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

"The Winter of Our Discontent" by Steinbeck. Something about the title attracted me lol. In addition to pretty crappy snow conditions we've had injuries, illnesses, all kinds of weird crap happening in our tribe this winter.

Odd book but I like it. One thing about Steinbeck, he wasn't afraid to take chances.

Alan Furst "Spies of the Balkans". Fiction, set in WW2 Greece. Detectives, port sleaze, sex, guns, hashish, British intel. It's all there for this genre.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

"Scar Tissue" - memoir of Anthony Keidis (singer from red hot chili peppers) about his ridiculous youth. He kinda writes like a pompous douche, but it's worth enduring for the stories.

Hell Or High Water: Surviving Tibet's Tsangpo River - Peter Heller.

I recently read Cadillac Desert which is a history of the water development in California/ the West- it was really interesting and in light of the situation in CA it's kind of nice to understand the back story too. And it's no boring history- they called it water wars. that 70's Jack Nicholson movie Chinatown was based around the california water wars too. anyhow- highly recommend.

I've also gotten some good recs in the summer reading thread
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...Reading-Thread

If you are into religion, try reading the works of Philip Yancy. It does not depict a certain religion really but of someone's faith. Nothing specific but really well written.

Station Eleven, by Emily St. John Mandel. It is a novel of the near future, after a flu pandemic ravaged North America. I am usually a non-fiction reader, but this is really good.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

I second Station Eleven just read it this weekend. And thanks Baby Bear for the Boys In The Boat recommend, best book I have read in a LONG time . If you want a thought provoking, mostly dark but fantastically written semi love story check out Preparation For The Next Life by Atticus Lish
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Look Who's Back - Timur Vermes

"Summer 2011. Berlin. Adolf Hitler wakes up on a patch of ground, alive and well. Things have changed – no Eva Braun, no Nazi party, no war. Hitler barely recognises his beloved Fatherland, filled with immigrants and run by a woman. People certainly recognise him, though – as a brilliant, satirical impersonator who refuses to break character. The unthinkable, the inevitable, happens, and the ranting Hitler takes off, goes viral, becomes a YouTube star, gets his own TV show, becomes someone who people listen to. All while he’s still trying to convince people that yes, it really is him, and yes, he really means it."

I've been on a Mark Kurlansky kick lately- Read Salt, The Big Oyster and now am reading his '1968' and all have been great. particularly enjoyed the Big Oyster (a lot of good stuff on the history of NYC)

holy shit PNW your rec sounds crazy but intriguing!

I just finished - "Thai Stick: Surfers, Scammers, and the Untold Story of the Marijuana Trade". It was a interesting historical look at what was going on in late 60's into the 70's and how things became uglier thru the 80's as blow became involved.

that just reminded me of something funny that we had a dog named Thai stick when I was a kid ...and I only just figured it all out a couple yrs ago.

"All the Light We Cannot See," was a good read.

Thanks for all the recs for boys in the boat. Great read -
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

"The Colony of Unrequited Dreams" - Historical fiction built around the incorporation of Newfoundland into Canada. Some scathingly sarcastic vignettes and a storyline that is as Canadian as Robertson Davies works.

"Inside The Dream Palace: The Life and Times of New York's Legendary Chelsea Hotel" - A Very Cool Read that weaves together French architectural philosophy, a building rising out of a swindlers arrest and prosecution, the depression, history of art and counterculture in NYC, immigrants, the Ginsberg/Burroughs/Snyder Beat generation and the birth of hippies, Thomas Wolfe, Warhol/Sedgewick/Dylan, Hendrix, Joplin, Bill Graham. Grandiloquence in sufficient wads to bring the blood of most redumblicans to a boil.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Look Who's Back - Timur Vermes

"Summer 2011. Berlin. Adolf Hitler wakes up on a patch of ground, alive and well. Things have changed – no Eva Braun, no Nazi party, no war. Hitler barely recognises his beloved Fatherland, filled with immigrants and run by a woman. People certainly recognise him, though – as a brilliant, satirical impersonator who refuses to break character. The unthinkable, the inevitable, happens, and the ranting Hitler takes off, goes viral, becomes a YouTube star, gets his own TV show, becomes someone who people listen to. All while he’s still trying to convince people that yes, it really is him, and yes, he really means it."
    There's a film out now in Germany...

Just finished Saturn Run by John Sanford.

Publisher description:
    The year is 2066. A Caltech intern inadvertently notices an anomaly from a space telescope—something is approaching Saturn, and decelerating. Space objects don’t decelerate. Spaceships do.

A flurry of top-level government meetings produces the inescapable conclusion: Whatever built that ship is at least one hundred years ahead in hard and soft technology, and whoever can get their hands on it exclusively and bring it back will have an advantage so large, no other nation can compete. A conclusion the Chinese definitely agree with when they find out.

The race is on, and an remarkable adventure begins—an epic tale of courage, treachery, resourcefulness, secrets, surprises, and astonishing human and technological discovery, as the members of a hastily thrown-together crew find their strength and wits tested against adversaries both of this earth and beyond. What happens is nothing like you expect—and everything you could want from one of the world’s greatest masters of suspense.

So .... what did you think of it? The reviews are a little mixed .....

Quote Originally Posted by NoPostholio View Post
    Thanks for all the recs for boys in the boat. Great read -
    I'm reading it right now and although it's interesting the writing style annoys me a little. The author never met an adjective he didn't like.