Spray painting a powder coated surface?

So I can score a receiver hitch for my exploder for dirt cheap. The reason why its dirt is its powder coated fire engine red. So a repaint is in order. I have spray painted before but nothing that is powder coated. I know the first step is to sand to make sure there is a surface that paint will actually stick to. I guess my main question is there any reason to primer this thing? Will primer over sanded powder coat be functional or will the sanded powder coat function as a primer?

Also it seams that a epoxy paint is the way to go. Anybody have any input on this?
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by rludes025 View Post
    its powder coated fire engine red.

Leave it.

doughboyshredder Guest
    you really don't even need to sand it. Just use rustoleum, and you'll be good to go. Don't even really need the primer, but it will help a little.

Rustoleum is the shit. I use it to touch up all of my powder coated gates.

I just did a mountain bike fork with Rustoleum. It looks great and is holding up surprisingly well.

The most important thing is to make sure it's absolutely clean: use degreaser. I sanded lightly, but I'm not sure it makes too much difference if the surface is 100% clean.