Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Awesome lens. When I had that brief two-week fling with the original GF-1, the hardest part of returning it was giving back the 20.

dpreview's mirrorless cam review: http://www.dpreview.com/articles/034...meras-a-primer

basically they find the same thing you did -- that they're not good at focusing on fast-moving objects.

i took my cam to the calgary lights and had a real hard time trying to take a picture in a dark environment because the camera wouldn't focus and the setting was "focus priority", so even though the flash would go out, the cam wasn't ready to take the shot. no shot was taken

Here's a mix of GH2 & GoPro footage from throughout 2011. Used various hacks along the way in both 24p and 720 60p.

It seems like 24p hacks are nearing a peak and 720 60p hacks are becoming more of a focus. I'm really looking forward to 2012 with this cam.
    ...And the greatest ice must crumble when it's flower's time to grow.

Costco has a good deal going on the Olympus E-PL1 including the 14-42 and 40-150 lenses, case and 4GB card for $380 so I decided to buy one. It just came yesterday and I have to say I'm amazed how much smaller it is than a standard DSLR--especially the lenses. Here's a photo comparing my Canon T2i with the standard kit lens attached and the 55-250 lens next to the E-PL1.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cameras.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	2.25 MB 
ID:	109180

I'm still loving my Olympus m4/3 system.

The 12mm f2 Olympus lens, 20mm f1.7 Panasonic lens, and 45mm f1.8 Olympus lens are all outstanding. The Oly 9-18mm zoom is also very very good.

February 8th, Olympus unveils its new m4/3 camera, which will have a better sensor, built in viewfinder and will be weather sealed. I'm saving my $$.

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    20mm f1.7 Panasonic lens
    This will likely be my next m4/3 purchase.

Also my dad has a few old MF Minolta lenses that I'm interested in trying with the PEN. Adapters are under $20. I know one of his lenses is the Rokkor 58mm f/1.4.

i am finding the f1.7 a bit difficult to use close to f/1.7. the focus is really difficult to get right for anything that moves. still learning, i guess

edit to add: In low light, mostly. which is a shortcoming of all m4/3 cameras.

Attachment 109191
    Last edited by f2f; 02-01-2012 at 03:03 PM.

AD- any initial thoughts on the E-PL1? That looks like exactly what I'm looking for as a compliment to my DSLR, and with several places offering the kit (with 14-42mm lens only) for $229 refurbed, it's tough to turn down.

I've only taken a few test shots so far, but I think it will be a fun camera. A couple things I've noticed already: I'm sure part of it is the lack of an EVF, but it feels more like a compact than a DSLR (not just the size of the camera, the general operation). It's not lightning fast by any measure. It seems a little slow writing the file (get a black screen for a second after pressing the shutter button). One of the complaints I've seen about the camera is slow AF. My experience so far is that the focusing is fast in good light, but not so good in low light, and of course manual focusing is nearly impossible in low light because you can't see anything on the screen.

Just announced: Olympus OM-D E-M5.

Sexy!

One of you guys needs to plunk down for this piece of art: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ur_Thirds_Lens

Product Highlights

Ultra Fast f/0.95 25mm (50mm Equiv) Lens
    Very Close Focus to 6.7" (17 cm)
    Solid, Metal Construction
    Very Shallow Depth of Field Possible
    Manual Focus
    Manual Exposure

Been really digging my Sony nex 5N, Its all I use and I have no clue what I am doing. First time with a decent camera

These were all shot in action sports setting on high speed burst in jpeg with a 55-200mm sony lens. The first one was shot on the macro setting.

These were all shot in high speed burst in jpeg with a 55-200mm sony lens.

^^^ But contrast detect AF can't do action?!?!
    This is the worst pain EVER!

nobody imports this lens in canada, but i think it'll be my next purchase:

http://www.lenstip.com/index.html?te...wu&test_ob=317

i saw it on a friend's gf3 and the quality of pictures was nothing short of amazing. if i never need zoom i think i may be able to stick with the fisheye and the 20mm panasonic pancake for all my amateur needs.

edit: i should mention, the rokinon is < $300 at amazon.

Just back from Kyrgyzstan (TR on ski/snowboard) and one of he group had one of the Oly Pens. He wasn't a pro photog but is good enough that Olympus give him his cameras for free. Have to say that he got some really nice results, both scenics and actions shots. He was pre-focussing for the action shots so working around the AF limitations I guess.

Have to say I am getting more and more tempted by a GF3 + X14-42 lens as a replacement for my LX5
    fur bearing, drunk, prancing eurosnob

Just got into the world of M43. Bought a E-PM1 with the 14-42mm kit lens and the M.Z 40-150mm. Looking to get a P14mm or P20mm pancake. Still undecided as to which will suit my needs. The 20mm has a lower f-stop but the 14mm focusses faster and is half the price.

Anyway, this is the first camera I've bought and am enjoying it so far.

I own this lens. It's a terrific lens. Only real down side is that it's pretty big and heavy for m4/3. I use it quite a bit. I am loving my Olympus OMD. Amazing camera. I'm having a hard time finding any faults with it. A review on my photography blog here: http://larsonweb.com/blog/?cat=4

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    One of you guys needs to plunk down for this piece of art: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ur_Thirds_Lens

Kai, really liked your blog review. That (and shots on here) have gone a long way to convincing me that if I'm going to keep taking pictures it'll be with MFT. Just sold my 5D today!

Tried to look around for some hands on today. Came up short at Best Buy and at Target. Pretty much the only things out there are broken Nikon minis and broken NEX cameras. No MFT. Anyone know good stores for handling Pany and Oly?

Bumpety bump. Considering changing from the T2i to something smaller. Just for the sake of getting the camera out more often. Even though the T2i and 15-85 aren't huge, I don't always have the room. I've come to the realization I'll never be a pro photog, but I still love taking pictures. I want something that I can blow up, but may never actually do it.

The olympus em-5 OMD has caught my eye. Anyone care to share their experiences? And is there anything in the MFT market that is ok for action these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Edgnar View Post
    Bumpety bump. Considering changing from the T2i to something smaller. Just for the sake of getting the camera out more often. Even though the T2i and 15-85 aren't huge, I don't always have the room. I've come to the realization I'll never be a pro photog, but I still love taking pictures. I want something that I can blow up, but may never actually do it.

The olympus em-5 OMD has caught my eye. Anyone care to share their experiences? And is there anything in the MFT market that is ok for action these days?
    This might be a slight diversion since it's not M4/3, but I just picked up one of these. APS-C sensor and pretty much fully pocketable. (Cargo pocket or jacket pocket.) While I love having an optical viewfinder, this camera is so small and light for how good the image quality is that I decided to forego it.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/ricoh-gr

Edgnar - if you're on Facebook search out Summit Photographs. He's a guy I have done a couple of trips with and he shoots mostly with an OMD.

In other news, the Panny GX7 looks really nice...
    fur bearing, drunk, prancing eurosnob

This image alone makes me want one. How many more places could I take this camera than my T2i?

Thats a rebel...
    Last edited by Edgnar; 09-02-2013 at 03:54 PM.

I have a GH2, which is the second largest of the M43 cameras and I find it pretty conveniently portable.

Panasonic is about to release the GX7, which is supposed to be pretty great according to reviews and possibly a bit more ergonomic than the EM-5, which is also supposed to be great. If I were you and you're near a camera shop, I'd go in and play with both and see how both feel in the hand. I'm thinking the GX7 might be my next camera, though as I'm happy with the GH2, i can wait for the price to come down a bit.

One note, most people think Olympus does a better job with jpegs than Panasonic (they're generally punchier and probably closer to Canon's). I shoot in raw and let Lightroom do the conversion and I'm generally much more pleased with what it comes up with than what my camera does.

Also, I'm in DC for a good chunk of my time so if you want to try my GH2 - it isn't what I'd buy now, but it's still one of the better cameras in the system, I'm happy to meet up for a drink sometime.

Hey MarcusBrody, I'd love to try it out sometime. I'm looking to down size from a Canon T2i, so shooting in RAW has become part of what I do.

It looks like Olympus is about to release a new OMD model, but a more 'pro' OMD this time, which will happen next week according to the rumors. So I'm at least going to wait until next week and see what happens to the price of the current OMD.

I just became a grad student, so most of my bag is taken up with books & laptop and what not, so having something pocketable or just small enough to slip into some extra space would allow me to shoot so much more.

I'm thinking about getting the olympus 17 mm 2.8 prime, since I mostly shoot on the wide end of my lenses anyway. I think with my canon 15-85 I shot probably 75 percent of my shots at between 15-20. With the little pancake lens and the relatively fast aperture, I think I would be pretty happy. Plus the price is quite good.

I do need to looking to the Panasonic GX series though.

The EM-5 does seem to be coming down in price recently. Hopefully the new OMD will bring it down even further. We'll see though. Since it isn't supposed to supplant it in the line, it might not bring it down as much.

I considered a GX1 a few times, but mainly just because they can be had super cheap and I kind of wanted something really small. I really like a viewfinder though and its image quality isn't a step up from what I have (and a step below the EM-5), so I never bit. The GX-7 though looks great. Integrated viewfinder that's supposed to be great; in body stabilization for non-stabilized lenses (a first for Panasonic); apparently great image quality and ergonomics. I'll be eager to hear the real world test reports though.

Lens wise, I can't really comment on the Oly 17mm 2.8. It's not one of the more beloved lenses in the system, but it is small and cheap, so it has that going for it. My most used lens is the Panasonic 20mm, which is faster and sharper, but it's getting toward the wide end of regular rather than a standard wide. Also, it seems to have bumped up a bit in price recently as they released a MkII version that's pretty much the same as the original with a metal housing.

I at some point want to get the 14mm f2.5 prime. It's even tinier than the 20mm. If you're taking a lot of photos around a 28mm full frame equivalent, that might be an option as well.

PM me if you want to grab a drink. I'm gone this weekend, back the first half of the week, then gone for 10 days or so before coming back again.