Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Arno View Post
    i just bought an MD - m4/3 adapter and a minolta Rokkor 45mm 1:2 pancake for about £60 ($90ish) all in off ebay. looking forward to exploring the world of manual focus! the rokkor lenses seem cheap, compact and decent quality (have my eye on a 50mm 1:1.4 which should be pretty sweet)

i'll post some pics when i get the chance to use it
    been having some fun with this set-up
    the lens isn't super-fast but you can get some nice results. heard about this church on the Essex coast about 2 hours out of London. Built in 654 and still in use

surprisingly remote coastline given it is pretty close to the old smoke

back home - a building site round the corner from my house:

it would make a very nice portrait lens but my missus hates me taking photos of her
    fur bearing, drunk, prancing eurosnob

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    I've got an Olympus Pen E-P2.
    do you have any sample mountain photography you can show us? i'm still waiting for enough justification to buy the E-P2 and that may just be it.

BRIDGER.DEION Guest
    You would be buying a camera with an american warranty, although, get your head round this, you can buy a 'grey import' european spec camera from them with an EU warranty for less than you can buy it in the EU.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    The A77 will be my next camera.
    Well. I lied. Sort of. The wife bought a Nex5 yesterday to replace her P&S. Playing with it today, I really like it. It's high ISO noise handling and frame rate is impressive. The image quality is superb, and it fits in her pocketbook. This thing kicks arse...
    This is the worst pain EVER!

Hugh Conway Guest
    Interesting lens option - 25mm f0.95 lens from cosina for m43 curious what else is going to come from them

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Interesting lens option - 25mm f0.95 lens from cosina for m43 curious what else is going to come from them
    Thought that was interesting too. I'm considering between a 60D and GH2 and glass is what's putting me on the fence.

I assume Canon will eventually (soon?) solve the video image (moire/aliasing) issues...right? Maybe?

I'm hesitant to jump on the Micro4/3 bandwagon since lenses are such an investment.

Any thoughts?
    ...And the greatest ice must crumble when it's flower's time to grow.

I liquidated 5 years worth of digital SLR gear a few months back and bought a E-P1 with the 20mm. Love it.

Costco's got a great price on the Panasonic G10. It's a stripped down version of the G2.
    http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...=1&topnav=&s=1

My GH2 arrived yesterday from Amazon. The EVF is great and the autofocus speed with the kit lens is really snappy. Heading out to experiment with the 14-140 and a 50 1.4 FD lens I picked up off Ebay.

damn, i am interested in the results!! out of stock everywhere.

Flew home for the holidays and forgot to bring the USB adapter cord. No results until next week unfortunately, but there are a bunch of stills up on the DPReview m43rds forum and videos examples are on DVXuser.

I'm very impressed with the GH2. Best jack-of-all-trades convergence camera on the market right now. What I don't understand is why Panasonic didn't push harder to have more ready for the holiday shopping season in the US. Tragic really.

Ad I would day go with a Micro 4/3 system. It is considerably smaller than a SLR and they take real good pictures.

Cost seems to be an issue, check out the Olympus pen e p1, which is the earlier version of the e p2. Great camera, the AF is terrible but besides that it takes amazing photos. 399 at best buy when I picked it up a month ago.

good luck!

I actually don't mind the AF on the E-P1. It's moves slow, but it's accurate - it doesn't seek and stutter like other cameras. I tweaked the config so that the AEL button does AF, so shutter half-press doesn't cause it to re-focus every time.

(I bet it sucks in C-AF mode, but I don't use it that way)

for those keeping track, new panasonic gf2 comes with live view @2.6fps continuous shooting mode.

http://dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicdmcgf2/page2.asp

bought the e-pl2 today. much impressed so far. anyone who's got a camera of that size have a suggestion for case and a uv filter?

Lightbulb I mainly bought this camera for HD video

I got a Panasonic Lumix G2 on Amazon (open Box) for $500

This is shot with a 45-200mm with MEGA O.I.S. $250

The focus tracking is sweet when you can use the touch screen LCD to select your target. I still haven't figured out 1/4 of the features of this camera. It's overwhelming.

apologies for the possible jong question...

Considering upgrading my Olympus CZ-7070 (6 yr old prosumer) to something that's smaller. I like the wide lens (28-80mm), manual control (apet & shutter priority, don't use the full manual), decent macro. Don't care for huge zoom or video. I take more landscape-type shots in wierd cloudy/glare mountain light, less action shots.

Don't want to go DSLR road (I want something smaller), so it seems a micro 4/3rds or Canon s95 would be viable options. Something like a Fuji x100 seems worth considering, but I don't know if its even out yet & I'm not sure how practical a fixed 35mm lens would be for me.

Care to share som real world opinions on 4/3rds? (or convince me not to buy one?)

Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    Care to share som real world opinions on 4/3rds? (or convince me not to buy one?)
    I don't have any first-hand experience, but the people that own them seem to like them for the most part. Also remember there are other manufacturers (Sony, Samsung) that have mirrorless systems that are micros 4/3s-like, but not exactly m4/3.

New lenses and accessories continue to come out. To me it seems like a perfect solution for someone looking for an SLR-like system but on a smaller scale.

The Fuji X100 sure is sexy, but unless you've got some serious money to throw around it seems like it's pretty tough to justify the purchase of a fixed lens camera that costs more than $1,000.

new epl2. standard lens, program setting (exif is there if you want to see it). the second pic is a crop from the first. this is impossible to do with the s95:

yes, i'm a convert. no, i don't know much about photography

yike didn't realise the Fuji was so expensive... but the m4/3 seem to get up around the $800 so its a significant outlay either way.

I did see the Sony/Samsung options & would be considering those along with other 4/3s (pretty much same-same).

I guess yet another option would be go Canon s95 (ie cheaper & definitely more compact) & then consider a DSLR setup down the track i.e. work towards having both big & small options.

edit:
    is that cropped using the camera firmwear? How's the size of the standard lens (pocket size)?
    Is the epl2 the one without any built in flash? That would be a deal breaker - I don't see the point of a small camera if you need a heap of external add-ons to make it useable.

olympus e-pl2 is $600.

The s95 is much much smaller than even the more compact MFT cameras. although the bodies are getting pretty compact, by the time you add on the lens, they are only pocketable in a big jacket pocket (the NEXs which have astoundingly small bodies have bigger lenses because of the sensor)

OTOH the results you can achieve with MFT can outshine an s95

the GH2 looks like a sweet camera - am seriously considering selling my GF1 and upgrading... but the GF1 + 20mm pancake is such a fun package
    fur bearing, drunk, prancing eurosnob

thinking & leaning more towards the s95 compact way... I appreciate the 4/3rds can prob take better pic's, but more & more I'm not carrying my current camera because its too big (well not pocket size), being lazy & taking the g/f's point& shoot compact instead (which of course takes crap pics unless conditions are perfect).

Sounds like the current 4/3rds might suffer the same fate of being a bit too big (for me). I'll find a shop & check them out in person first though.

If I do go the compact way, I can imagine adding a 4/3rds or DSLR in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    thinking & leaning more towards the s95 compact way...
    the s95 is a nice camera. i'd go that way if i wasn't thoroughly disappointed with the G9's small sensor (which may or may not have been fixed with the reduction in megapixels that occurred after that model).

your only problem is: you can't find a S95 in stores anywhere anymore, and nobody in Japan has any clue when they're going to start manufacturing again. i'm speaking from experience, having a colleague try to buy a S95 last night in brick-and-mortar stores.

yeah well that might cause an issue... I'm in Australia for a while longer will be looking for it stores here for a play (won't buy it in Aust though).

The G9 is a few years old now so obviously the sensor isn't the same. What was the problem with the G9 sensor?

Brings me back to the Fuji - which is obviously pricey because it has a huge sensor. $1100+ is an awful lot for a fixed lens, could get a real nice DSLR with more lens options for the same $$.

This talk is maybe all subjective anyways.... either option would be an ungrade on my current camera. A lot of images are soft, & it doesn't perform in weird light - but I still get good shots when I actually pay attention.