Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gear x.com?

Gear x.com?

Anyone have experience with this site, im considering getting some boots from them, and i just want to hear some feedback before i buy

Also, does anyone know of any coupons for this site?

Thanks

-Kyle

I bought a Covert pack from 'em. Great people. They called me to let me know they had it cheaper than on the website. You might want to call them to see if they would give you a better deal.
    "... when I turn, I just hope it hits me in the face."--Shroder Baker/Under the Influence

I bought some Scarpa PlusFit liners from them a while back. They were cheap and actually a newer, nicer generation than what was pictured on the website. I would call as well rather than order off the website to verify everything is correct.

I have never purchased online but their store in Burlington, VT is legit. I've purchased a few pairs of skins from them.

appreciate all of the reply's, my mind is at ease, thanks guys,

@powhound, did all you do was just email them asking for a deal? because im looking at some quadrants, and $620 is a very pretty penny to be spending on boots.

awesome store. no problems, bought a bunch of stuff. i'd call cause they really know their products and might steer you in a cheaper and better direction

I know you said your mind's at ease, but i'll further add to it anyway....bought a BD agent avalung pack from there for a great price, and was delivered super fast, quality store for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrariowner123 View Post
    $620 is a very pretty penny to be spending on boots.
    especially when you get them and realize they don't fit....
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

appreciate all of the reply's, my mind is at ease, thanks guys,

@powhound, did all you do was just email them asking for a deal? because im looking at some quadrants, and $620 is a very pretty penny to be spending on boots.
    No. I ordered online at whatever price is it was. They called me to say,"we are out of that, but we have the same pack at this cheaper price". I asked if it was the exact same pack, he said yes. I asked what was the price difference. He told me that the one I bought was bought in a different lot from Black Diamond. So evidently, the had bought some packs from BD in different lots at different prices, & instead of marking the cheaper up to the same price, they passed on the savings to us. These where closeouts from last year. Not sure how they do new products. I would still call them.
    "... when I turn, I just hope it hits me in the face."--Shroder Baker/Under the Influence

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    especially when you get them and realize they don't fit....
    he knows they fit, he tried them on at an EXPERIENCED LOCAL BACKCOUNTRY SHOP

Ferrariowner tryin' to pinch a penny, something new I guess

Support your local shop. If their boots are good enough for your feet, their tills are good enough for your money.

Quote Originally Posted by skimaxpower View Post
    Support your local shop. If their boots are good enough for your feet, their tills are good enough for your money.
    The only shop who carries these boots is Marmont, and they want $710, which is absolutely ridiculous.

They will get my money when they want $60 for a binding mount that i could do myself.

Tell 'em you're looking to get them cheaper somewhere else, they'll probably at least meet you in the middle.

Kyle, a $90 difference is not huge, especially when you factor in

A. they are a kick ass shop that helped you find your size
    B. they will help you get the boots hot molded to your feet, even with the stock liners
    C. they will help you punch the boot if it needs it after a couple days of hiking if you are getting hot spots
    D. it's the right thing to do

If you buy the boots online and take them in, not only will you have to pay for them to do that, but they have less incentive to help you in the future since 'you'll just go buy it cheaper through the interwebs'

When I broke my pair of bro's, I scoured the forum looking for another used pair of skis to fit the bill for what I wanted. When I couldn't find anything cheap or that I wanted, I went to the glacier ski shop to see if they had anything good. I found a pair of demo EHP's they had and took for those for a spin. Fell in love with them. Came back and haggled with them a bit on a set of new bindings to go with the used skis and they got my business. Was it dirt cheap, no, did I need a new pair of skis, not really(obviously i did but I could have waited a week or two) and they helped me out and I was happy as I walked out the door.

Quote Originally Posted by hitmanbob View Post
    Kyle, a $90 difference is not huge, especially when you factor in

A. they are a kick ass shop that helped you find your size
    B. they will help you get the boots hot molded to your feet, even with the stock liners
    C. they will help you punch the boot if it needs it after a couple days of hiking if you are getting hot spots
    D. it's the right thing to do

If you buy the boots online and take them in, not only will you have to pay for them to do that, but they have less incentive to help you in the future since 'you'll just go buy it cheaper through the interwebs'

When I broke my pair of bro's, I scoured the forum looking for another used pair of skis to fit the bill for what I wanted. When I couldn't find anything cheap or that I wanted, I went to the glacier ski shop to see if they had anything good. I found a pair of demo EHP's they had and took for those for a spin. Fell in love with them. Came back and haggled with them a bit on a set of new bindings to go with the used skis and they got my business. Was it dirt cheap, no, did I need a new pair of skis, not really(obviously i did but I could have waited a week or two) and they helped me out and I was happy as I walked out the door.

You are right, $90 is not That much, but its the fact, that they think they can charge $90 OVER retail is what gets me. They get away with it, because there is so much money over here, and people dont have a problem with the price.

Plus with all of the points you listed, almost every store i have been to and bought a product or service from, includes all of those. For example, i was having chronic pain in my feet while skiing, so i popped into evo, bought a pair of custom foot liners, and they said they will do everything in their power to make the fit, perfect, even if it was to my boot, not just the product they supplied me, free of charge and they have, i have gone back about 2 times i believe to have some small tweeks here, and minor adjustments there, and I haven't paid any more than what I paid for the original foot beds.

So why should i pay the extra money at one store, when every other store around them dont charge more, its the same at Sturturvants. When i had my liners molded, ended up walking out the door paying $20 for that, butterfly's on the heels, re-work of my old foot beds, and shin bang guard something or others.

So that is my only problem, i mean yes they have that section of the market to themselves, because as far as i know, they are the only store in Seattle, Eastside area who can mount dynafits, Other than Feathered Friends (correct me if im wrong).

It mainly boils down to, im cheap, i enjoy finding a deal and the feeling of saving money that i could put towards many other things i need.

You are right, $90 is not That much, but its the fact, that they think they can charge $90 OVER retail is what gets me. They get away with it, because there is so much money over here, and people dont have a problem with the price.

Plus with all of the points you listed, almost every store i have been to and bought a product or service from, includes all of those. For example, i was having chronic pain in my feet while skiing, so i popped into evo, bought a pair of custom foot liners, and they said they will do everything in their power to make the fit, perfect, even if it was to my boot, not just the product they supplied me, free of charge and they have, i have gone back about 2 times i believe to have some small tweeks here, and minor adjustments there, and I haven't paid any more than what I paid for the original foot beds.

So why should i pay the extra money at one store, when every other store around them dont charge more, its the same at Sturturvants. When i had my liners molded, ended up walking out the door paying $20 for that, butterfly's on the heels, re-work of my old foot beds, and shin bang guard something or others.

So that is my only problem, i mean yes they have that section of the market to themselves, because as far as i know, they are the only store in Seattle, Eastside area who can mount dynafits, Other than Feathered Friends (correct me if im wrong).

It mainly boils down to, im cheap, i enjoy finding a deal and the feeling of saving money that i could put towards many other things i need.
    As long as it goes towards hookers and blow, I'm ok with it. Just come to baker and share

Quote Originally Posted by hitmanbob View Post
    As long as it goes towards hookers and blow, I'm ok with it. Just come to baker and share
    Not quite, but i'll take up that baker offer, might have to happen over winter break, because of school, but chris and i will make a trip up there, or at least i will for sure.

Whats another $90 when you own a Ferrari ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by skimaxpower View Post
    I tend to agree with this..be straight up with the shop you're trying boots on at...tell them you've seen the deal X here and there..they will likely work with you a little to make the sale..still will probably be more expensive, but you can feel good knowing you supported your local shop..

Not quite, but i'll take up that baker offer, might have to happen over winter break, because of school, but chris and i will make a trip up there, or at least i will for sure.
    floor space all of break. Oatmeal, rice, chicken and gas all count as cash. dec 8 - jan 3. northward bound for a few days around xmas.

hope you can keep up in those dynafits.

I give them a thumbs up. Great prices and service.
    Dollar sign that bitch.

purchased skis from them 2 years ago without a hitch, for some reason they have some really good prices on BD blems, other than that pretty average interweb site for gear.

Just ordered an Outlaw avalung pack from them for $70 cheaper than I could find anywhere else. Was nervous at first, but when I saw they had a physical storefront I was much more at ease. Shipped fast and arrived in perfect condition. I don't know how they had the pack for so much cheaper than anyone else, but I will be checking on their site in the future for deals.

I've ordered a few things from them, and would give a hearty thumbs up

good prices, and I've returned some items and got nothing but quality customer service

Ferrari-

If it is the same boot (year, model, size, color) at 620, and your local shop wont price match that, they are antiquated and will be going out of business soon. I see no need to support that.

And I work at a LBS/LSS. Not a chain, a one off store. We pricematch anything online that is current model gear.