Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I have actually be a fan of the nevegal 2.35 but don't like that the UST tire gets destroyed by stans goop if it's comprimised by a thorn or something so moved to conti mt king 2.4 UST, smaller to the eye by quite a bit. Used the Maxxis HR for a bit as well so far I like the ride of the nevegal the best. Have the Kenda SB8 on a smaller bike, that's held up remarkable well for a rear tire, I'm guessing that one rolls well in the chart too. Cool thread, now I'm going to be riding up the hill tomorrow thinking I could be faster with other tires, o well, it's raining here tonight so it will be fun either way.
    Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides it's all in the reflexes.

I just put a high roller on the front and a larsen tt on the back. Both lust. The larsen is the best rear tire I have been on.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    I'm having trouble getting the right pressure in my 2.35 ignitors, and it's gotten very loose and sandy and i'm also having trouble figuring out when they're going to release and when they're going to hold. My bike's also been twitchy, but that might be the odd stem and handlebar combo I have going on. Ignitors are fine and all, and the problem is very well me.
    I'm thinking 2 2.4 Racing Ralphs would be superior in every way. Or a Nobby Nic 2.4 up front and either a 2.4 Racing ralph or a 2.25 NN in the rear. Or 2 2.25 NNs. Or Mountain King Supersonics. There are too many choices.
    I should add that 1 of my ignitors doesn't need to be replaced any time soon, only the rear one is wearing out, the front one looks new. I also went up to an 8" rotor up front, so I can skid really easily if I'm not careful.
    It just seems like I should be able to get lighter, faster, and grippier than what I'm running now.
    I should have mentioned in my early post that I've only used the racing ralph's up front. I'm not sure how they'll run in the back. I like knobs in the back that run more side to side to get treaction on sketchy climbs. The raras aren't like that.
    Sometimes pride comes after a fall.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    I just put a high roller on the front and a larsen tt on the back. Both lust. The larsen is the best rear tire I have been on.
    many people have said that. I haven't tried them myself. Maybe I should!

I only know the few tires I have been on.

Front, I have used a High Roller 2.35 and a Minion EXO 2.5. The Minion didn't feel slower, grips like mad, and I'm assuming it is tougher.

Rear, I have used a Larsen TT 2.35, Advantage 2.35, Ardent 2.25, and a High Roller 2.35. The Larsen didn't grip well enough, the Advantage shredded on my 3rd ride so I didn't give it a shot, the High Roller felt really slow and not any more grippy than the Ardent. So far, the Ardent is the winner (though the bike currently has the HR, and I have a Nobby Nic on deck for my first non Maxxis tire.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by bl2000 View Post
    I should have mentioned in my early post that I've only used the racing ralph's up front. I'm not sure how they'll run in the back. I like knobs in the back that run more side to side to get treaction on sketchy climbs. The raras aren't like that.
    What size did you use, and what do you mean by sketchy? There's very little mud here.
    And like I said, I'm thinking about 2.4 as the size. I like fat skis, I like fat tires. I think. IDK.
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

Went riding today after a thunder head rolled through.
    I'm trying 30 psi front and 35 psi rear. Seemed to do really well even in mud. They threw a lot up in my face though. They also have a tendency to grab small pebbles and occasionally fling that at my forehead. The ignitor can be a surprisingly grippy tire if you get the pressure just right. Still kinda scary in dry, loose sand and rocks. Don't think I'm gonna go any lower on the pressure because then I get pinch flats, but will see if it's more predictable this way.
    Someone was riding 2.4 Mutanos and they looked pretty big, but I think I'd have the tire clearance for it. Didn't really wanna harp on him about his tires like some wierdo, but he seemed to be doing well.
    Too many options.
    It just seems like I should be able to be faster, gripier, and lighter than 2 ignitors front and rear.
    No longer stuck.

What are the collective's thoughts on 2.4 Mutano races on the front and 2.25 crossmarks in the rear? Seems like similar performance, if not a little heavier and much less costly than Schwalbe.
    Again, predominantly dry and hard trails with steep and loose sections.
    No longer stuck.

Looks like the El Moco 2.35 comes in DTC, and there's a 2.5 now...at least according to Kenda's site. They've got a couple new tires that look interesting. The Nexcavator and the BBG could have some potential.

Reviving thread!

Was going to go with Trail Kings in 2.2 UST(Black Chili) but they may not be available for a couple months or so.

How does WTB rubber rate for wet roots/rocks? Was thinking of the new Bronson with the Dual DNA rubber. Good price and available now.

Coming from Nevegals DTC.

Also, any initial impressions on the new tread designs this spring:
    WTB Bronson
    Schwalbe Hans Dampf

Check out the Tioga Psycho Genius. I've been running that on the front and been great in various conditions. Check it out here:

http://www.tiogausa.com/psycho-genius.html
    I resolve PC issues remotely. Need to get rid of all that pr0n you downloaded on your work laptop? Or did you just get a ton of viruses from searching for "geriatic midget sex"? Either way I can fix them. PM Me for maggot prices.

Follow me on Twitter
    Facebook - Become a Fan

Also interested in the new spring designs, anyone riden a Mutano vs. Hans Danpf?

A more recent comparison regarding weight, grip, puncture and rolling resistance here....FWIW

http://www.mountainbike-magazin.de/t...9.2.htm?skip=2

What are the collective's thoughts on 2.4 Mutano races on the front and 2.25 crossmarks in the rear? Seems like similar performance, if not a little heavier and much less costly than Schwalbe.
    Again, predominantly dry and hard trails with steep and loose sections.
    I like the Mutano Race 2.4 on the front a lot, both in SF Bay Area sandstone/clay and up in the Sierra's. I use a Hutchison Python on the back for SF riding and a regular Mutano 2.25 on the back for the Sierra. 25 psi up front and 30 on the back.

I've never noticed much cornering difference between tires[1], but I do notice the steering/control difference going up rough stuff between the various tires I've used.

- Booker C. Bense

[1]- too chicken to go fast enough to notice the difference I suspect.

I've been running the Bronson 2.3 TCS on the back of my Nomad for a few weeks now. No complaints at all so far, it rolls well and traction is great for climbing, braking and off camber. My hesitation on trying it in the front is the big side knobs are fairly soft and we have some epic hardpack conditions occurring on a lot of our trails right now. It might be kind of squirmy, but thats just speculation right now. Once thing loosen up into our normal sandy/gravelly/loose conditions it might do better. I think it would be great in loamy and wet stuff though.

I'm loving the Inner Peace lining on the WTB AM tires. It gives a trail tire a nice, damp, almost DH style feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    A more recent comparison regarding weight, grip, puncture and rolling resistance here....FWIW

http://www.mountainbike-magazin.de/t...9.2.htm?skip=2
    I was wondering which tire had the most gewicht and which had the worse pannenschutz.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    I was wondering which tire had the most gewicht and which had the worse pannenschutz.
    Most gewicht: Bontrager FR4
    Worst pannenschutz: Kenda Nevegal
    Best grip: Bontrager FR4
    Worst roller: Kenda Nevegal

there is a new ultimate trail tire. wow.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Can I call that shit or what?
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

what are you 2 talking about?

How awesome I am.

At least that's what I'm talking about.

edit: http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...88#post3253788
    Last edited by kidwoo; 05-05-2011 at 02:42 PM.

go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

happy medium or bbg? sidewalls don't disintegrate at the first sight of rocks?

BBG silly. I think marshall got a pair. I just found some online so I'm about to get a pair too. Who knows about sidewalls.......I've never even owned a kenda singleply tire other than dirtjump k-rads. I'll let you know in a month.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    happy medium or bbg? sidewalls don't disintegrate at the first sight of rocks?
    i only have 1 3hr ride on them, but was really impressed. like, really impressed.

we will see about durability, but they seemed fine at 25mph through jagged rocks for me today.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com