Recommendations for surf/chill destination in November

Wondering if any mags have some recommendations on a good tropical spot for the month of November. Ideally nice and warm with beaches and a surf I can learn in.

I've never surfed so total beginner. Really just looking for a place that I can find a house on the beach to rent for a month or 2 and do my best at learning to surf. The only real requirement I have is that I need internet and if possible cell service.

X-post
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...=1#post2984546
    Last edited by Greguar; 09-20-2010 at 01:13 PM.

This topic has been addressed repeatedly but I'll play. Costa Rica. Done.
    God created skis and surfboards to keep the truly gifted from ruling the world.

Costa Rica is chill - thought I went there last November and the surfing could have been better. Note that I went to the South Pacific side, around Jaco (pronounce ha-ko) and besides the first day the waves were a little weak. If you go, hit up the Tamarindo area. Our first day surfing (Nov 14) we had 6-8 footers but other than that, pretty tame. AND they were all close-outs so not the best.

Quote Originally Posted by GPendleton View Post
    Costa Rica is chill - thought I went there last November and the surfing could have been better. Note that I went to the South Pacific side, around Jaco (pronounce ha-ko) and besides the first day the waves were a little weak. If you go, hit up the Tamarindo area. Our first day surfing (Nov 14) we had 6-8 footers but other than that, pretty tame. AND they were all close-outs so not the best.
    I spent a lot of time near Jaco and can tell you that you did it wrong. Jaco is for party, Hermosa is for surf. Jaco is in the bay so if it's weak there drive south over the mountain (Roca Loca) and go to Hermosa which is more exposed to the pacific. If Jaco is 4 ft Hermosa will be 6-8. If Jaco is big and closed out Hermosa is macking. Most worth it 20 minute drive of your life. Tons of peaks up and down Hermosa but when it's big surf at the North end near the rocks behind the Terrazo or at the south end at Boca Tulin. Anything 2-8 ft find El Almendro.
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

I've dedicated the last several years to learn to surf and take October-November to inch my way up the learning curve.

First surf trip was to Costa Rica and will be back for sure. This is rainy season and the Nicoya penninsula is drier than the south. Playa Grande house on the beach is pretty much ideal. First wave was at Mal Pais, which is a cool place to hang for a while.

In that time we've been to Bali, Kauai, Cali coast, Baja, Baja, and Baja. This year we go to France and yes Baja. Other options on the radar; Panama, Nicaragua, Fiji, DR, Puerto Rico, Brazil, Chile....

My 2c, go somewhere uncrowded and get in the water 5-6 hours/day, even if the conditions suck. Every day out is one less day of being a kook. Learn the rules, stay out of others way, be respecful.

peace

Quote Originally Posted by TheFugitive View Post
    Jaco is in the bay so if it's weak there drive south over the mountain (Roca Loca) and go to Hermosa which is more exposed to the pacific.
    Or surf Roca Loca. Very fun wave. Head even further south along the beach frontage to find mellower than Herrmosa wave. Hermosa can be a bit tough for learning

Quote Originally Posted by Stilltele'n View Post

First surf trip was to Costa Rica and will be back for sure. This is rainy season and the Nicoya penninsula is drier than the south. Playa Grande house on the beach is pretty much ideal. First wave was at Mal Pais, which is a cool place to hang for a while.
    Mal Pais is great for learning. Tends to pick up plenty of north, which is what you want in November. Playa Grande will offer up the amenities.

Panama is fun, but a very tough coast line to get dialed in. Nicaragua is cheap and has plenty of good uncrowded surf. Mainland Mexico also has options, but tends to get more crowded.

dominical mini-summit?

Dominical, CR is chill. Decent waves every day. Housing is easy to come by because there's nobody here. Found long term housing from as little as 250 a month right by the beach. Me and the fiancee are parked here until mid december. Locals are saying that the mid november - mid december is the best weather and the best waves. more people will start showing up in mid december.

http://www.dominical-photos.com/rive...ental-Pics.htm
    Last edited by montanamike; 10-03-2010 at 03:51 PM. Reason: housing website, dominical photos

Hugh Conway Guest
    sick surf there montanamike

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    sick surf there montanamike
    Yeah, it's no AK, but it'll do for now...
    I've got the key to the highway... I'm gonna leave here runnin', walkin's far too slow

Good and cheap post surf Pico de Gallo at Arena del Sol. Bamboo Yogaplay for a great stretch. Yeah, I need to get back there.

El Salvador is cheap and friendly.

Thumbs up surf place made for skiers

there is a surf place in Costa Rica that only runs when the mountains aren't happening. Perfect place to start a surf trip - easy waves to paddle into, super chill and 3 perfect breaks

http://www.surfcamppeaksnswells.com/

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by powlovingmango View Post
    there is a surf place in Costa Rica that only runs when the mountains aren't happening. Perfect place to start a surf trip - easy waves to paddle into, super chill and 3 perfect breaks

Spamming twice in the same thread?? GET THE FUCK OUT!!!
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

Quote Originally Posted by powlovingmango View Post

$1400 per week? I could do a month in El Salvador for that, easy.