Page 180 of 465 FirstFirst ... 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 ... LastLast
Results 4,476 to 4,500 of 11608
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    My Brother lives in Otis. He's at 1400 feet. This morning at 8ish he had over 20 inches and obviously snowing hard. Someone please go ski Thunderbolt tomorrow and get some pics! Can't even imagine how good that will be tomorrow first thing.
    Wow yeah thunderbolt would be a deathtrap with all this blower. It is on the list for sure but not until we get some mank. Knee deep here in WMass even in the citay but very light- real shitshow on the roads, lots of people stuck and tons of snow on my grandma's porch too, but shovelin's good for building character I hear.

Looking like The BEast tonight with friends, and possibly magic tomorrow if the snow gods can get me the day off... C'mon snow gods... Youuuuu can doooooooo it!
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    Wow yeah thunderbolt would be a deathtrap with all this blower. It is on the list for sure but not until we get some mank. Knee deep here in WMass even in the citay but very light- real shitshow on the roads, lots of people stuck and tons of snow on my grandma's porch too, but shovelin's good for building character I hear.

Looking like The BEast tonight with friends, and possibly magic tomorrow if the snow gods can get me the day off... C'mon snow gods... Youuuuu can doooooooo it!
    There was base down allready in the Berkshires...plus I'm sure the Bolt had been skiied in and didn't melt off nearly as much as virgin snowpack.

^^ Get some DW.

It's coming down nicely here, about 1" of very fine snow since it started about 2 hours ago... should create a denser layer than the storm Sunday.

If it's still snowing when I leave work tonight at 10pm I will probably just ski Jay early tomorrow. If not, I will seriously have to consider the 3 hr drive to Magic to ski with mad heads.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    There was base down allready in the Berkshires...plus I'm sure the Bolt had been skiied in and didn't melt off nearly as much as virgin snowpack.
    Doooooood... I'm trying to make myself feel better, I left my skins and touring setup in VT...
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

Mr Worldwide - like Pitbull with a better vocabulary
    serious question, what do you guys consider a base?
    "Yeah, yeah. you buy Playboy for the articles just like I watch Brokeback Mountain for the scenery... wait, that doesnt work."

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird View Post
    10" on the deck and still snowing. It has let up a little, but seems to be coming in waves.
    How is it looking now? I'm about 40 miles east at 1,100'. 17" in the walkway at 12:30. Still dumping.

Thinking Magic tomorrow.

So glad this storm decided to track further north. We were already ahead of predictions this morning as the dumdum weatherman was saying 3-6. Too bad I cant take the day, but at least I can enjoy a nice XC tonight!
    I could go on, and on, and on...but who cares

Not much here yet in CNY, unfortunately I think we're too far West for this storm.

Oh well, I'll still be at Greek tonight. Get to tag along with a high school/middle school ski club (Seniora Dumpy is the advisor). Typically this just means she checks in with the kids once and then her and I ski.

Last week, 2nd run (for me, I get there later) we are coming down an easier blue and find a kid walking. It was one of hers, a never ever, only skier of the group and the only 7th grader (youngest kid in their ski club). He did his lesson, then tagged along with the older kids who dumped him on the trail next to the terrain park.

So yeah, we had to get him down and then spent the rest of the night chillin with him on the bunny hill. It was pretty cool though,seeing him go from uber frustrated up top, to getting "one last run syndrome" with just a little bit of coaching (made him ditch the poles for a few). After his first run down the BH without falling his level of stoke went through the roof. He told me that up top he never wanted to ski again.

So yeah, that was really cool and I've got a feeling we'll be skiing with him again, hopefully I can break away and get some real turns in though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunco perfectly summarizing TGR View Post
    It is like Days of Our Lives', but with retards.

Quote Originally Posted by nihiles View Post
    Bagram?
    ??

or maybe this, [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf49cw0134U"]YouTube - Ultimate Base Jump[/nomedia] ???

serious answer, whatever it takes to make the snow edgeable at speed is "base". Some slopes at MRG this means 0", seriously frozen moss skis pretty good. Other places, such as the tram line at Cannon, may take a few more feet than that

Thunderbolt? no idea, haven't skied it or hiked it in summer.

nihiles - base is whatever it takes to safely cover the terrain you're skiing on. At a place like Butternut or Okemo that cleans the slopes in the summer it only takes about 6 inches. Around here nothing is cleaned and the woods are just a jumble of downed shit and rocks. Some places are "acceptable" with a foot and a half or so and some need more but it really depends on the density. The first storm was almost ok but Friday and today are all air, probably not more than 5-8% water content so...

It looks like we should get a little more Saturday night then again midweek next week. We should be good to go after that if we can get some sun in between to pack this stuff down a bit.

Snow density and fatassedness of skiers also affects what is an acceptable base.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunco perfectly summarizing TGR View Post
    It is like Days of Our Lives', but with retards.

jgb@etree Guest
    I definitely wouldn't call the shit I just spent the past 4.5 hours shoveling blower. The bottom foot seemed to have decent moisture content as my back is currently begging for a pain killer, joint, ipa and a long dip in the hot tub.

Watching it continue to puke from my office in Boston. The storm should linger into the night and make tomorrow $$$$ for S.Vt through the maine stretch. I just started a new job on Monday. The thought of calling in sick on day #4 crossed my mind, but my new boss ski's too, and would see right through me.
    Ελευθερία ή θάνατος
    "Great moments are born from great opportunity."

Quote Originally Posted by dumpy View Post
    Snow density and fatassedness of skiers also affects what is an acceptable base.
    Also have to account for fatassedness of skis in addition to skiers.

The base should be DEEEEEP at Ski Bradford, there's about 16 inches in my driveway here in Georgetown. The problem is that there's not enough pitch to move.

I've been thinking real hard about hiking around somewhere here this afternoon but I can't think of anyplace with enough vert or pitch. If anyone knows of such a place in the north shore/merrimac valley chime in?

I'll probably be heading to MRG tomorrow AM. Probably see some of you badasses there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Odin
    But where is he going to get 10 gallons of crisco, a real doll, 14 japanese virgins, a box of strawberrys, a bottle of old harpers, 12 and a half mangum condoms and some rubber gloves at this time of night?

Quote Originally Posted by nihiles View Post
    depends. basically, when stuff that will hurt you is locked in. On trails...can be a few inches of crustyness...for woods...30-40 inches...depending on density.

When talking specifically about the Tbolt, I 've skiied it once in a dust on crust scenario. There was about 6 inches of bulletproof with 4 inches of very light snow. This is a ski trail. It has some steep pitches and great vert. but sees action form locals which tends to pack snow down and therefore bases out more like a ski area then most BC areas. Skin up the bellows pipe trail which switchbacks up on climbers right. There is a hut that is open at the top of Greylock. Hell of a run that would be right at home at any Mtn in VT an absolute classic a kin to the more mysty trails at MRG. There are other options on Greylock as well as across the valley which I have not skiied but heard tell of....

I consider a base whatever it takes to cover the jagged shit that would otherwise cause major problems for your skis/body parts if you crash into it/onto it/land on it. Some places that means a foot of consolidated snow. Other times it means 4-5 feet of consolidated snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodlandclown View Post
    So glad this storm decided to track further north. We were already ahead of predictions this morning as the dumdum weatherman was saying 3-6. Too bad I cant take the day, but at least I can enjoy a nice XC tonight!
    I admit to being dumbdumb about the ADK on this one.
    That's for sure.

How do all of you people sit in an office like this while you know its snowing somewhere? This has happened twice this week and it'll probably happen again tomorrow. What the hell are your reasons? The anxiety of knowing I could be skiing something really nice right now is making me go bananas

::edit:: first page bumping music stoke

If you can't dig it, you ain't got no shovel

Oh and my reason for coming back was the easy availablity of higher paying work due to these nagging school loans and an injury that left me with having to pay for my own healthcare last winter in Tahoe ... now im back in Boston.

I just got off the hill. Tittyballs. We've been stuck in the power band all day! At least fourteen if not more. Windy but kreamy. Post some vid tonight. Tomorrow will be Schweet at Magic. Turnie and I got facials on the clock. Love ski shop life.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by StopMakingSense View Post
    How do all of you people sit in an office like this while you know its snowing somewhere? This has happened twice this week and it'll probably happen again tomorrow. What the hell are your reasons? The anxiety of knowing I could be skiing something really nice right now is making me go bananas
    $$ so my family and I can eat. That is all. Otherwise, we'd all be at the mountain right now!

Buttah, see you at Magic tomorrow.

Who else will be riding Red Chair?

Nice buttah. Mount slow ain't too bad today- not tits deep but my balls are soaked. Lunch beer time and heading out for more.

it is snow really hard here in burlington right now. at least 4 inches on the ground since 9 this morning when i left for work. was told to leave early but still log hours for the full day. i'll be at stowe bright and early tomorrow. really stoked right now.
    No kick turns
    No mercy

Quote Originally Posted by djspookman View Post
    $$ so my family and I can eat. That is all. Otherwise, we'd all be at the mountain right now!
    I suppose the comment is more for the people my age without the kids. I was stoked to see this guy leave our office yesterday to head to Seattle. Him and his wife love to ski and went for it. It angers me that so many people in there mid-20's complain about there work and how they would rather be doing this or that or how they missed the opportunity.

I cant wait until next January when I can theoretically get out of here again once the health bill and this one student loan is gone.