Page 16 of 49 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    Compared to the Maestrale... TLT 5 mountain is almost as stiff in fore flex, but does not have nearly as much lateral and rear support.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

TLT5p forefoot fitting tips & comparison to Prime & Maestral?

Hi all, first post at tgr... been reading most of this thread while I sit with a pair of sz 28 TLT5p on my feet. I think the shell fit is right. However with just the footbeds in the liner i feel like the forefoot area just behind the flexzone is to narrow over the top and that there is also a bit of height above my foot that i'd like to take up by putting the shim in, but this accentuates the feeling of narrowness. I also have some 6th toe pressure.

Would it be better to put some adhesive backed fitting foam on the outside of the liner to take up the height? Or put the shim under the footbed and then open up the shell a bit in width?

And I haven't cooked the liner yet... how much adjustment will that likely provide (in terms of being pushed aside to open up a bit of width over the top of my foot)?

If I have to resort to having the shell punched out, what is the best heating method for the garilamid plastic? I read the post about boiling.

For fit comparison, i've also tried on the Maestral and BD Prime. The Prime forefoot was wider and lower than either the maestral or TLT5. The Prime also had a nice heel pocket. Not as nice as the TLT5 tho. The maestral heel was quite roomy.

The TLT5p is the stiffest of the 3. Prime second and Maestral softer still. Didn't like flex progression of Maestral either, it would flex forward and abruptly become stiffer. The Prime is nicely progressive. I'm wondering how much stiffer the pebax Prime becomes in the cold and whether the TLT5p stiffens up as much as I'm thinking the carbon cuff isn't as affected by temperature???

Hike mode the Prime was nicest until i took the tongue out of the TLT5p. Then the TLT5p won by a mile.

I'd appreciate any fitting tips regarding the issues I mentioned at the top. These TLT5p boots are impressive and I'm wondering I can get them to work for me. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Prodigy View Post

Mid December is the ETA from Europe.
    Thanks for the confirmation, that's what my shop said too. I guess I'm having trouble waiting and am hoping they will actually arrive in enough quantity to fill my order. The boot sounds kick-ass!

Wasatch, did you feel the walk mode of the prime better of the maestrale? That would be frankly quite surprising as all our testing team felt that tlt5 and maestrale had by far the best walking mode among all the at boots we tested (quadrant included)

Quote Originally Posted by verbier61 View Post
    Wasatch, did you feel the walk mode of the prime better of the maestrale? That would be frankly quite surprising as all our testing team felt that tlt5 and maestrale had by far the best walking mode among all the at boots we tested (quadrant included)
    Perhaps the Prime flexes forward very smoothly while buckled (like the Factor?) and this may be augmented by a low cuff, but there is no way it has as much rear travel as the Scarpa or Dynafit offerings. I never fasten the top buckles in tour mode, thus forward range of motion basically doesn't concern me. Increased rear range of motion, however, = increased stride length, especially on flats, and a big increase in efficiency.

After 10 days skiing the TLT5Perfo, I can only stand by my first toughts: THEY KICK ASS!

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Perhaps the Prime flexes forward very smoothly while buckled (like the Factor?) and this may be augmented by a low cuff, but there is no way it has as much rear travel as the Scarpa or Dynafit offerings. I never fasten the top buckles in tour mode, thus forward range of motion basically doesn't concern me. Increased rear range of motion, however, = increased stride length, especially on flats, and a big increase in efficiency.
    To open up the hike mode of the Prime (and the Quadrant) the cuff has to be loosened so a rivet can slide in the slot in the lower part of the cuff that allows it to ride up instead of interfering with the forefoot. The cuff buckles on the Prime are nice for that as they lock open.

I had the Prime on one foot and Maestral on the other and the forward flex of the Prime felt easier in the store. Dunno how it'd feel outside or after broken in. The Prime did have a descent rear flex, but i apologize as i didn't focus on rearward as much.

Comparison pics of Prime & Maestral:
    Attachment 85733

In the store??? How about on snow? Doesn't that make more sense since that's where you're using them?

Most of don't have access to test boots on snow for free, so the in the store comparison is the best we can do.... If you can get boots sent to all of us for testing I'm sure plenty of us would be happy to post on the snow comparisons....

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    In the store??? How about on snow? Doesn't that make more sense since that's where you're using them?
    Hi Lee, I was just over on WildSnow reading about the TLT5p... Agreed, comparing the TLT5p to an all pebax boot is probably even worse in store as the carbon of the TLT is likely less temperature sensitive than the all pebax boot. But that's all I have access to.

Side note: the new Dynafit tech inserts make for a nice improvement of homing the boot toe into the binding pins!

Punching out TLT5p forefoot?

Considering the flex zone and grilamid, what is the recommended approach to increasing the volume of the fore foot area?

It's a bit to narrow for me all around the top of my foot in the white plastic just behind the flex zone.

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox510 View Post
    Most of don't have access to test boots on snow for free, so the in the store comparison is the best we can do.... If you can get boots sent to all of us for testing I'm sure plenty of us would be happy to post on the snow comparisons....
    There's no need to be sarcastic. I was reading Wasatch's observations and thought it was interesting because what he said was at odds with what a lot of other people were saying. Then he mentioned that they were in store impressions. I didn't mean to give him grief (sorry about that wasatch). Just that most people who do carpet or store-tests impressions mention that. Actually wilcox I think you've given carpet test data in the past and its useful but especially if you mention that its instore.

I'm just curious myself because my TLT performances aren't getting here for another couple of weeks

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    There's no need to be sarcastic. I was reading Wasatch's observations and thought it was interesting because what he said was at odds with what a lot of other people were saying. Then he mentioned that they were in store impressions. I didn't mean to give him grief (sorry about that wasatch). Just that most people who do carpet or store-tests impressions mention that. Actually wilcox I think you've given carpet test data in the past and its useful but especially if you mention that its instore.

I'm just curious myself because my TLT performances aren't getting here for another couple of weeks
    I'm sorry if i munged up my post. Yes it was in store. The TLT5p is stiffest of the three in ski mode and had nicest hike mode (with tongue removed). This was all in store.

I'd love to be able to try the Prime outdoors to see how much it stiffens when cold.

Both are better in both modes than my Megarides.

Got to ski mine (tlt5p) yesterday.
    I am currently 86 kg. X-racer, 184cm.
    I also have a very bad back these days, so my skiing was very passive and controlled in an easy slope - artificial snow with a little natural om topp.

I cannot be 100% bombastic, but boot felt softer and smoother than zzero 4c. The flex was very gradual. The zzero is more on/off. Have to try them on steep ice/windpack/hardpack with a good back to be able to give a good review...but I'll be surprised if I they don't end up beeing my main touring boot.

that's good to ear hilmersen, exactly what i tough about them, they ll replace the rest of my boots for most days!

TLT5 Performance will also stiffen up pretty much on cold, tongue and shell, which gives a good part of the downhill performances, are still made in plastic. Carpet testing is always different from the reality also because most of the stores in winter are pretty warm.

TLT5 Performance will also stiffen up pretty much on cold, tongue and shell, which gives a good part of the downhill performances, are still made in plastic. Carpet testing is always different from the reality also because most of the stores in winter are pretty warm.

OK, got a coupled days on my TLT5s, I can say that the tour mode is incredible. I went for a little walk to find any hot spots so I could have the boot punched out before the snow, and they were so comfy I wound up jogging a 10 minute mile in them, couldn't have imagined that being possible in a ski boot. Also couldn't have imagined I would be dumb enough to jog in ski boots- fortunately no one saw me.

I only have a couple days on them but downhill is excellent- not alpine boot good but incredible compared to the walk mode.

If it fits, and you like to ski BC and not sidecountry, you need to try this boot on for fit before getting anything else.

Downsides: the boot is cold, no problems in deep pow in 15 degree F temps but we were skinning pretty fast. If you take lots of breaks or move slowly and have cold feet its a consideration.

Also... my size 27/27.5 shells had rubber soles that were too thick to let the toepins of my FT12s fully engage. Check yours for interference and shave the sole down a couple mm underneath the toepin sockets with a razor blade or utility knife if you have the same problem.

I emailed dynafit about this yesterday.

Here is a picture of the sole of my boot after modifying. I had to do this in 4 places.

Maybe I missed it and feel free to JONG me but can the TLT5 be used with non Dynafit binding like the Marker Touring series? I think it's Dynafit binding proprietary, right?
    Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
    Maybe I missed it and feel free to JONG me but can the TLT5 be used with non Dynafit binding like the Marker Touring series? I think it's Dynafit binding proprietary, right?
    You should not.
    But actually some of us testers did so for a few turns (just curious to check it out....) and we are stil alive and reasonably well.

You should not.
    But actually some of us testers did so for a few turns (just curious to check it out....) and we are stil alive and reasonably well.
    LOLz...thanks
    Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

Patches (or anyone else who has skied them) - Do you notice the Actiflex while skiing? Does it make them feely mushy or soft? What about the buckles, did you find them to be reasonably easy to use and adequate (I think I mentioned before, I totally got the cuff buckle stuck while carpet testing them, I nearly had a panic attack thinking I was going to have to go to work in ski boots....)

Ciao Patches, thank you very much for the info. I know it might sound strange.. but it's done on purpose... the rubber sole production is not 100% precise, there is always a little margin in more or less between the production lots which can't be controlled.
    The sole has been made on purpose a little bit thicker than what required to avoid to have it too thin in case of a "thinner production run" in that case the binding will difficultly close.
    In any case this has no interference with the function of the binding as the closing power of the metal arms squeeze the rubber sole and after a few days of use the rubber will get compressed by iteself to the perfect thickness.
    Anyway the modification you did is also a good way to reduce the adaptation time, so well done.
    If any extra info is required or something is not clear just ask.
    Ciao

Fede

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    Also... my size 27/27.5 shells had rubber soles that were too thick to let the toepins of my FT12s fully engage. Check yours for interference and shave the sole down a couple mm underneath the toepin sockets with a razor blade or utility knife if you have the same problem.

I emailed dynafit about this yesterday.

Here is a picture of the sole of my boot after modifying. I had to do this in 4 places.

I must have got the outlier then... I released about a dozen times in one day with my bindings set at 8. After modifying the boots, no more releases. For comparison I think I released only 2-3 times out of my dynafits, total, during 100 days of use last year.

Awesome boot but I do think people should check this.