Page 4 of 49 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JAM View Post
    Just because I do not think it has been stressed enough - one of the huge benefits of carbon is that it is incredibly stiff. In fact an entirely carbon boot would have not flex. So there will be a huge difference between the carbon and non-carbon version of this boot. And yes for both the weight difference and the flex difference, the carbon is completely worth the extra dough. Carbon is the future of ski boots. Have carbon boots on your feet even once, and you will understand this.

I have last year's DNA race boot and would say that it is at least as stiff as my Spirit3s. The skiing performance is on a whole different level than an F1. Having tongues in the boot would jump that up a notch.

So if you are looking for an all-around backcountry ski mountaineering boot at half the weight of other boots, I don't think there is anything better. If you are looking for a side-country boot, this would not be the choice.
    I agree with all your points except the Spirit 3 comparison, since the DyNA without any plastic tongue was still noticeably softer in forward flex (even with a booster strap duct-taped on for winter snow). The again, that's pretty much a moot point for anyone interested in the TLT5.
    But for overall performance, the DyNA still felt very precise b/c of the carbon fiber upper cuff. Like you noted, stiff! This isn't like the carbon overlays of the Zzero4 which seemed to help a bit. Instead the carbon upper cuff on the DyNA (and TLT5 Performance) is massive and immobile. Even requires a little plastic extension in front, since if the cf upper was close to 360 degrees (instead of about 200) you'd never be able to get the boot on in the first place. Here's a really good pic that clearly shows the different parts:
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Arhpk5Ld9Y...ormance_TF.jpg

Hi Jonathan, I did't said US ski toureres are fat, this is not the point. The point is that most of Dynafit clothing are a very tight and stretcy fit while most of the clothing sold in the US from the most popular outdoor brand have a quite loose and wide fit, not because of being fat but because of a style/taste issue.

I'm anyway sure there is a good potential for a limited selection of the line, which anyway is going to be strongly improved next year for style, fit and performance.
    And don't forget the other points I explained... like price points.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    Federico, it's okay, you can just go ahead and call U.S. ski tourers fat -- we know.
    Seriously though, based on Lou's descriptions and some of the pictures, reminds me of my MontBell insulated pieces, which are very nice, but not exactly tailored to the general population...

Can anybody provide an informed comment re how the cheapo TLT5 Mountain skis compared to an F3? I don't need anything stiffer than F3.

steve, I've skied F3 all last winter and - as you - I realized I do not need anything stiffer (at least when using <100 skis). In the shop, TLT5 mountain with TF-X looked very similar to F3 as for flex, and a bit better in lateral control. As a shop feeling, they seem better than F3 for mountain use (federico is prolly right when saying that they feel like climbing boots), but the smooooooooooth feeling of the F3 bellows when skinning... well who knows, until there is enough snow to use them.
    TLT5 are much lighter than F3. This will be a plus uphill for sure, still dunno about downhill, let's see.

Thx verbier. How did the fit of the two compare? My F3 is lower volume than other Scarpa AT boots. And, yeah, I love the F3 bellows

you're right, F3 (as F1) has a lower volume compared to all other scarpas (telemark series excluded). My slim and nasty foot is well served by F1, F3, megarides, flexon, zzeus and (at least in shop) by TLT5

Quote Originally Posted by mc_roon View Post
    sweet, your reviews are among the best on the net when it comes to ski gear.

out of curiosity, why no megawatts? You know people here will be probably be using TLT5s on skis that wide and wider, represent one of your target audiences
    I suspect it will be an absurd combination but wtf - I'll try it. What could possibly go wrong

I'm completely psyched to try the TLT5 on bigger skis; I'm thinking Voile Drifter in a 182...It might negate much of the advantage of having a lighter boot, but not all of it; it'll still be over a pound lighter per foot than my Titans, and the touring mechanics on the TLT5 are clearly better--though I've been quite impressed by the Titans on the uptrack. I've skied very large skis with tele boots/bindings, I'm pretty sure it can be done on a light AT boot, especially, but not only, in good snow.

For reference to those in the PNW, I've spoken with the good folks at Marmot Mountain Works in Bellevue, WA, and they plan to stock the TLT5 Mountain (per my last conversation, anyhow). If you want the Performance boots, they'll special order them for you (mine are on order, along with a pair of Mustagh Ata SLs in 178).

Federico, thanks for making an amazing product. Question you might be able to answer: in the interest of shaving grams (and as I'm considering parting with my beloved ZZero4s with the arrival of the TLT5s, so I only need to fit one boot), is it possible to mount TLT Speed bindings using the mounting inserts on the Mustagh Ata SLs for the BSL of the TLT5s in 27.5, or should I just suck it up on the extra few ounces and mount TLT Verticals? The techs at Marmot said you guys discourage drilling the skis with the built in inserts.

Thanks,

Andy

P.S. Fit reference for those interested: My ZZero4s in 27.5 needed two thermofits and some tweaking to behave themselves... I tried on the pair of DyNAs in 27.5 that Marmot had last season and they fit like a dream, incredibly comfortable out of the box... but then mebbe I just have weird feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher3000 View Post
    I'm completely psyched to try the TLT5 on bigger skis; I'm thinking Voile Drifter in a 182...It might negate much of the advantage of having a lighter boot, but not all of it; it'll still be over a pound lighter per foot than my Titans, and the touring mechanics on the TLT5 are clearly better--though I've been quite impressed by the Titans on the uptrack. I've skied very large skis with tele boots/bindings, I'm pretty sure it can be done on a light AT boot, especially, but not only, in good snow.
    I am planning on running tlt 5 carbons on my 186 lhasas (that my only ski with dynafiddle).

Shouldnt be bad. I used to ski "big" skis like that with my adrenalines (definitely softer in every direction than the zzeus). Just takes a different skiing style in softer boots.

With st10's I am looking at 16 pounds for skis boots and bindings. Should be a killer dawn patrol setup before 8am calculus.

Marmot in Bellevue has the Mountain in a couple sizes. Ask, because they weren't on the wall. I tried on the 26, which is a size big for me. Nice. Felt a little softer than a stock Megaride, but it's a warm shop. The tongue itself is real soft, and proprietary, so no easy swapping. Looks like a killer boot for vert and volcano corn, though I do wonder how they'll hold up to talus/kitty litter/choss. The sole material is real thin. I'd love to try the carbon version, maybe pairing it with my Wailer 105s....

Can't wait of get on these. Time to retire the old TLT pros! Going to use these with some stokes for the long mid winter days and Seven Summits SL on the non pow days.

For any BC mags interested there may be a size 28 available for demo at the shop, and the range of the TLT mountains!

Also brought in the Dynafit clothing into the store this year. I hope Dynafit can start making the whole range available in NA. Such great stuff. Really well thought out and well made. Yea, the fit is a bit different. I usually take a medium, but always go with large jackets, and that works great. But the T shirts! My large T feels like all tight and clingy...

Paging EC sources in the know

Does anyone know where I can try a pair on in the EC? Does anyone have them yet. Thanks.
    The Passion is in the Risk

Quote Originally Posted by lynchdogger View Post
    Does anyone know where I can try a pair on in the EC? Does anyone have them yet. Thanks.
    Your best bet:
    http://mountaineer.com/?p=460
    (Ask for Jan if you reach someone who has no idea.)

Other two possibilities:
    http://gearx.com
    http://raggedmountain.com

Could also try the rep:
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=641980426

Or you can try on my 26 DyNA (soon to be joined by 26 TLT5).

Ciao Andy, it's not possible to mount speed or race binding on Mustagata SL, actually it is but most probably, if you ski aggressively, the binding will be ripped off.
    The reason why the inserts are there is mainly to use a very lightweight core and having anyway a very safe ski/binding connection. If you go out of the inserts the core and the reduced titanal plate, might not hold the screws.
    I've seen some colleagues using the Mustagata SL already last season with the race binding on top... but you know... they haven't paied the skis so they were not very much worried about ripping them... ;-)

The fit of the TLT5 is very comfortable, it's not to tight and so on... they are made to walk... a lot... The boots look very small and slim but it's only due to the reduce thickness of the shell. as reference they fit wider and more comfortable than the Titan which is a more downhill oriented/performance fittig.

Quote Originally Posted by andybrnr View Post
    For reference to those in the PNW, I've spoken with the good folks at Marmot Mountain Works in Bellevue, WA, and they plan to stock the TLT5 Mountain (per my last conversation, anyhow). If you want the Performance boots, they'll special order them for you (mine are on order, along with a pair of Mustagh Ata SLs in 178).

Federico, thanks for making an amazing product. Question you might be able to answer: in the interest of shaving grams (and as I'm considering parting with my beloved ZZero4s with the arrival of the TLT5s, so I only need to fit one boot), is it possible to mount TLT Speed bindings using the mounting inserts on the Mustagh Ata SLs for the BSL of the TLT5s in 27.5, or should I just suck it up on the extra few ounces and mount TLT Verticals? The techs at Marmot said you guys discourage drilling the skis with the built in inserts.

Thanks,

Andy

P.S. Fit reference for those interested: My ZZero4s in 27.5 needed two thermofits and some tweaking to behave themselves... I tried on the pair of DyNAs in 27.5 that Marmot had last season and they fit like a dream, incredibly comfortable out of the box... but then mebbe I just have weird feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    Your best bet:
    http://mountaineer.com/?p=460
    (Ask for Jan if you reach someone who has no idea.)

Other two possibilities:
    http://gearx.com
    http://raggedmountain.com

Could also try the rep:
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=641980426

Or you can try on my 26 DyNA (soon to be joined by 26 TLT5).
    Thanks Jonathon. I'd love to try on your 26 but doubt it would be large enough. I'm sure I'm a 27.5 or 28. Thanks anyway. I'll try these routes and then the rep. Thanks.

[Edit]: FWIW, Ragged Mountain Equipment up in Intervale, NH just got some mountain version in and although they won't be stocking the performance they will special order it.

If this works it will be an awesome setup! Stoked!
    Last edited by lynchdogger; 09-24-2010 at 11:49 AM.
    The Passion is in the Risk

Does the Speed binder have a different hole pattern than the ST/FT? I'm shocked if you can't mount that binding on a Dynafit ski with inserts - seems like it is the right binding for most people buying a ski like the Mustagh ata SL. I understand why the Race is a bad idea, but the Speed? Really?

It is supposed that 90% of people buying a ski like the mustagata would want to have ski stoppers for their comfort of use and safety and on the speed binding you can't have good working ski stoppers.
    The hole pattern of the speed is very different from the new FT/ST and it's technically not possible to have ski inserts that fit both bindings.
    You might be shocked...but the heel part of the Speed is nearly 15years old and when the NEW ST FT was develped it was made better with the hole pattern working on a wider suface for better performances.
    The Speed remains a very good binding for more up-hill oriented users that don't want to use a ski stopper and for this reason it's still in the collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Wunderkind View Post
    Does the Speed binder have a different hole pattern than the ST/FT? I'm shocked if you can't mount that binding on a Dynafit ski with inserts - seems like it is the right binding for most people buying a ski like the Mustagh ata SL. I understand why the Race is a bad idea, but the Speed? Really?

I think they same the same hole pattern but Speed only has 6mm of adjustment on the heel. ST/FT has much more (2cm? more?) adjustability, so it is easy to mount in the specified holes, then move the heel fore/aft as needed. I have FTs and Trabs, so I haven't run into that question in practice, but that is my guess.

I bet the inserts would not accomodate the Speed model if the adjustment needed to fit the boot in the binding is more than 6mm.

Quote Originally Posted by EvelKnievel View Post
    I think they same the same hole pattern but Speed only has 6mm of adjustment on the heel. ST/FT has much more (2cm? more?) adjustability, so it is easy to mount in the specified holes, then move the heel fore/aft as needed. I have FTs and Trabs, so I haven't run into that question in practice, but that is my guess.

I bet the inserts would not accomodate the Speed model if the adjustment needed to fit the boot in the binding is more than 6mm.
    I'm going to go with what Federico, the Dynafit employee, has to say.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Quote Originally Posted by Federico View Post
    The hole pattern of the speed is very different from the new FT/ST and it's technically not possible to have ski inserts that fit both bindings.
    You might be shocked...but the heel part of the Speed is nearly 15years old and when the NEW ST FT was develped it was made better with the hole pattern working on a wider suface for better performances.
    Frederico, maybe you're mixing in a reference to the Speed Lite or Vertical Lite?
    Only those models lacking any fore/aft adjustment range in the heel unit have a different mounting pattern. In North America, that means that with the exception of the Low Tech Race all the bindings sold here:
    http://dynafit.com/uk/4/674/binding....imit=0&lang=uk
    . . . use the same jig. I've mounted numerous pairs of both Speed bindings and Vertical ST/FT bindings with the same jig.
    (BTW, a friend of mine hugely lucked out with installing the Speed on his Manaslu skis, as everything with the insert spacing and his bsl just happened to line up. But of course I wouldn't count on it...)

EvelKnievel and Jonathan S. are right. The holes in the Speeds will line up fine, but they'll only work for certain BSL because of the lack of adjustment range. I was hoping to get away with Speeds on Manaslus, but didn't have the same luck as JS's friend (actually they worked for one pair of boots but not the other, and I use both).

I've also found the inserts easy to strip. I understand the compromise in terms of core density and weight vs pull out strength, but I was happy to see they don't exist on the Stokes.

Make sure you have clean screws when you mount the bindings. A bit of glue on one of my screws was enough to strip a hole.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    I've also found the inserts easy to strip.
    Same here. Out of 5 mounts I've done for myself and others, I've had about 4 stripped threads. Fortunately they take a helicoil well.

Just tried on the tlt 5 mountains.

They seem stout enough to drive a narrower ski, but would really take a skier who purely relies on finesse to drive anything big.

Personally, I would not want to ski anything much over 100 underfoot with that boot, unless it was stupid soft, like the fischer watea 114.

Also, I found the boot to run VERY small. A whole mondo size for sure. The BSL on the 27 is 296, and the fit was very different than a 27 titan (which I fit fine). I am absolutely a 28 in the tlt5 with about a finger and a half of shell fit. The 27 had my toes curled.

For the record I ski a 27 full tilt, and would ski a 27 dynafit titan.

Lastly, bring a good footbed, or use one if you try these on and dont think the fit is great. The stock ones suck. Plus I needed to take up a bit of volume, and just a pair of superfeet did well.

One more thing,

I was kinda bummed about the size of the toebox in the tlt 5. It seems significantly wider than the titan was last year (I was really hoping for another narrow boot). The titan was out of the box, the best fit I have had in a ski boot. While the TLT held my heel down well, there was much more room in the toe, both width wise, and height. I imagine this is for touring comfort, but I would prefer to have a solid hold on my foot. The 27 felt better width wise obviously, but I dont want a race fit for touring.

I am curious if anyone here thinks an intuition might fill up some room. Throwing in a slightly thicker footbed did some good, but there is just enough space to make me question the fit.

I also dont know much about those dynafit liners. Does heating them make much of a difference? I am curious if the tlt is premolded for a wider last.

BTW, the width is probably good for most of you guys out there because my feet are stupid narrow.