Page 48 of 49 FirstFirst ... 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 1218
    http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.a...5&pdeptid=1188

if you want power strap that goes to 11 how bout a couple of these^^ and way cheap eh?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

The NRS strap highlights what I generally don't like about most Velcro power straps and what I DO like about boosters. The Velcro straps can be tightened really tight but don't flex much or at all with the boot. The boosters do. YMMV, but for me, the NRS straps are missing the crucial, flexible, component.

I had the new buckle installed with a screw rivet. Stayed closed on an all day tour that included hiking on rocks and step kicking in snow. Seems to solve the lower buckle problem on the TLT5s. I think it was less than $25 for the pair from Dyna USA.

Picked some of these up and here are some musings based on trying them around the house:

The toe box is actually quite wide and works for my D+ width foot. The midfoot, on back, is pretty damn tight. I have pretty wide ankles, and the most painful part was the fleshy part just under the ankel bone inside of the foot. I popped in my custom footbeds, and they wouldn't fit inside the liner + shell. They were too wide and wouldn't sit flat. I then inserted the custom footbeds into the shell, and then the liner on top, and that worked much better. I think the custom footbed is lifting my foot off the bottom of the shell, giving me more room below the inside of the ankle - where the most painful part was. This pain has all but gone away, and will probably go away with some heat molding. Unfortunately, the instep of one foot is too tight in this configuration - we'll see if heat molding will fix that. On the other foot, the outer arch, where the 5th meta ends is too tight - we'll see if heat molding the liner will fix that as well.

My question is - does heat molding the liner actually really help if you have a tight spot, or is the liner so thin, that it doesn't really matter? And it adds just a tiny bit. Also, how much success have people had with increasing space around the end of the 5th meta, and towards the rear of the inside arch (just in front of the inside ankle bone)?
    Last edited by Lindahl; 04-25-2013 at 11:34 AM.

I was getting bad heel pain when using mine, even with semi-custom "Davenport" foodbets (which are the perfect volume for the TLT5P, BTW) and even after I did the "rice bag" heat molding trick. Also, the boots were uncomfortably tight and really tough to wear all day. Before a tour this monday, I had enough and took them to a shop to mold at higher temp using a 200+ degree air blower. They heated the boot and liners together, then stuck in the footbeds, then my foot + 1 midthick wool sock with no toe box. The following day (9 hours of hiking, skinning, and skiing) there was not even a hint of pain, which is remarkable for me because it'd been an issue all season.

So yes, PROPER heat molding made a huge difference for me. I think I'm done with the "home-bake" system as they've caused me a lot of trouble and hotspots from ineffective molds. Maybe others can do it better than I can, but from now on I'm gonna get it done right, even if it costs be a bit. Happy feet are priceless.

Just my experience and my opinion.

Heat molding did a pretty good job. Need a slight punch, but pretty happy so far. Skied em inbounds in funky spring snow all day today.

I wear a 27.5 in damn near every boot, would a 27 or 27.5 be the same in a tlt 5? Thanks
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Yes, 27.0 and 27.5 r the same in the tlt5. Liners r molded differently.

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    I wear a 27.5 in damn near every boot, would a 27 or 27.5 be the same in a tlt 5? Thanks
    The TLT5 sizing is a pretty good reflection of the interior foot length.
    However, given the low-volume shell, the thin liner, and the difficulties in grinding or stretching the shell, if you have a wide or otherwise high-volume foot, you might have to size up.

Quote Originally Posted by harpo-the-skier View Post
    Yes, 27.0 and 27.5 r the same in the tlt5. Liners r molded differently.
    IIRC the difference is even less than that: the liners are molded identically, and the only difference is that the 27.0 comes with slightly thicker stock footbeds.
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Originally Posted by harpo-the-skier
    "Yes, 27.0 and 27.5 r the same in the tlt5. Liners r only molded (slightly) differently".

Harpo had it right or so I thought from my boots and been told previous..
    Shell is the same "liners molded slightly different" between 1/2 sizes. Two pairs of insoles included with all the TLT5s I bought. All the insoles are (I seem to think anyway) the same between the 29s and 29.5 I own.

From Dynafit this morning via Wild Snow on the newest 6. No clue how or if this applies to the older 5. Shells are the ame BSL between the 5/6. I've never used the included Dynaft insoles to enhance the fit.

- The fit of the liners is now done without footbed. In this way the skier can adapt the personal anatomy on the soft bottom layer of the liner. This layer changes thickness between the full and half size
    Last edited by Dane1; 09-16-2013 at 01:07 PM.

I found a thicker sole neccessary to accomodate my width, fyi. I also sized up one. The boot is VERY narrow without a footbed, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    I found a thicker sole neccessary to accomodate my width, fyi. I also sized up one. The boot is VERY narrow without a footbed, imo.
    Agreed. And one of the issues to properly fitting the boot that so few seemed to realise even in the shops selling them. Add a decent foot bed and presto-chango...wider boot with no work on the shell. Doesn't sound like that has changed between 5/6.

Harpo,
    I had the new buckle installed with a screw rivet. Stayed closed on an all day tour that included hiking on rocks and step kicking in snow. Seems to solve the lower buckle problem on the TLT5s.
    I tried to order the buckle from Dynafit, but they were out, so I got one from Pro Ski in Seattle. It's green like the TLT6 buckle, and looks exactly like the old TLT5P buckle. MAYBE it has a stronger spring, but prolly not.
    I sounds like I didn't get an upgraded buckle, just a green one. Anyone have a pic or description?
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I had the new buckle installed with a screw rivet. Stayed closed on an all day tour that included hiking on rocks and step kicking in snow. Seems to solve the lower buckle problem on the TLT5s. I think it was less than $25 for the pair from Dyna USA.
    Do you know the model screw rivet? Size? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    looks exactly like the old TLT5P buckle
    gen1 or gen2? gen2 TLT5 buckle has a cam that helps keep it closed. I would like to find pair of those and do a swap.

My new buckle had a prong/cam, no spring. No idea on what screw rivet the boot fitter used. I could find out if u really want but I already hassle my bootfitter enough.

I definitely have a green Gen 1 buckle. No prong/cam, and it has a spring. Argh.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

plug, please advise if you track down replacement buckles with the prong/cam

Any of the instep buckles from the TLT 6 (double cam locks and sweet upgrade) or the PDG/EVO (single cams and easy swap) will work. Hard to believe Danny at Dynafit CS can't find you something that will easily replace the 1st gen buckle. Might be worth a call to ask what they do have if you are in 1st gen 5s. I'd go for the 6's bigger buckle. Looks like it will switch over easy enough looking at them this morning side by side.

Anyone else have problems getting stuck in their boots!

The locking pin on the upper buckle of one of my TLT5Ps doesn't locate in the holes well so that I have problems getting it undone. Once I had to use the handle of my shovel to prize it open. I do have skinny calves so that, even with the shark's tooth moved to the tightest position, I'm on the second from tightest slot.

Quote Originally Posted by altis View Post
    Anyone else have problems getting stuck in their boots!

The locking pin on the upper buckle of one of my TLT5Ps doesn't locate in the holes well so that I have problems getting it undone. Once I had to use the handle of my shovel to prize it open. I do have skinny calves so that, even with the shark's tooth moved to the tightest position, I'm on the second from tightest slot.
    Yes, I use the same position, and while I have never needed a shovel blade to get it open, I have had issues. I tie some cord through the hole on the back and it works fine for me since then

Sounds like a good plan. Skinny calves here (actually they start too high on my leg) and I also have to crank the upper buckle down at the tightest position. It's a lot easier to undo the buckle when it's not in the tightest position, but I have too much upper leg slop that way. It's definitely really fucking difficult to undo in the tightest position.

Just got back from an inbounds day with my TLT5P's and Voile Drifters and am continually amazed at what these little fairy boots can do. They are just stupid stiff for their weight. Skied the same damn set up for a week at Ymir Lodge last week and they killed it in the backcountry, too. Fucking unbeeravable.

BTW, my mods are booster strap, Intuition Pro Tour liner, upright lean position, toe flex lock out, and Vulcan tongues.

Quote Originally Posted by timmaio View Post
    I tie some cord through the hole on the back and it works fine for me since then
    That was going to be my first attempt at a solution. I'm glad it seems to work.

For me the buckles are the weakest part of these boots. I don't like the way the mechanical advantage of the toe buckle changes depending on the setting. Inevitably, I can't quite make it to the tightest peg on the inside so I'm stuck using the last, or second-to-last, tooth on the buckle. The way these buckles work mean this is quite awkward to press down. I guess I'm not used to them yet but I still find this difficult to adjust when everything is covered in snow too!

Dynafit TLT 5 Boot

Is it possible to mod the gen2 plate for even less forward lean? I could use a little less.