Page 23 of 49 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Plinko View Post
    Even after paying international shipping rates, (and subtracting VAT) you still save over $100 compared to how much Backcountry.com has them listed.
    You could also get slapped with a US Customs fee in a few weeks (probably 3% of declared value); you won't know until you get the bill c/o your shipper. It's applied arbitrarily and inconsistently by the government to protect the burgeoning US ski boot industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Prodigy View Post
    I do know that we got some 29's and 30's on the last shipment and I'm sure we'll be getting more so take heart.
    That's encouraging.

Plus, I hear this whole 'delayed gratification' thing builds character.

There's a fine line between building character and watching the best part of the season slip away without any AT boots that fit my new skis and bindings. But here's to hoping they are on their way...

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    You could also get slapped with a US Customs fee in a few weeks (probably 3% of declared value); you won't know until you get the bill c/o your shipper. It's applied arbitrarily and inconsistently by the government to protect the burgeoning US ski boot industry.
    From T-P:

US CUSTOMS IMPORT CHARGES AND SALES TAX
    This page has some information regarding the charges you may be asked to pay when ordering goods for delivery to the USA. This information is based upon our customers feedback and experience to date.

Import Taxes.
    Goods entering the US are liable to import taxes which vary according to type of article and country of origin. The following rates are levied on ski gear made in the EC:
    Alpine Skis: 2.6%
    Alpine Bindings: 2.8%
    Plastic Ski Boots: 0% (no charge)
    Ski Poles: 0% (no charge)
    XC Skis: 0% (no charge)
    XC Bindings: 0% (no charge)
    XC Boots: 0% (no charge)
    Snowshoes: 2.6%

If US Customs gets the correct code in the United States Harmonized Tariff Schedule, (pp 7 here [6402.12.00 00 Ski-boots, cross-country ski footwear and snowboard boots ]) then the duty = 0%.

Leg Warmers on the other hand would be subject to a 14.6% tariff.

That's right, you shouldn't be charged for either plastic ski boots or XC ski boots, but others I know who ordered TLT 5's through T-P have been.

For folks who were looking at faster transitions, the Dynafit Gallium Flex Pant has cutouts for the TLT5 rear buckle. Unfortunately, like most Dynafit clothing, the pants availability is limited to Europe or via import thereby risking ordering the wrong size. Still, it's a useful mod, one that I'm considering having done on an old pair of pants. Anyone else have any experience with this? A picture of how it works can be found here by moving the image zoom square over the pant cuff.

Quote Originally Posted by SaltMind View Post
    For folks who were looking at faster transitions, the Dynafit Gallium Flex Pant has cutouts for the TLT5 rear buckle. Unfortunately, like most Dynafit clothing, the pants availability is limited to Europe or via import thereby risking ordering the wrong size. Still, it's a useful mod, one that I'm considering having done on an old pair of pants. Anyone else have any experience with this? A picture of how it works can be found here by moving the image zoom square over the pant cuff.
    Interesting; how does it work in back; I couldn't see the detail there?

Quote Originally Posted by harpo-the-skier View Post
    Interesting; how does it work in back; I couldn't see the detail there?
    Hopefully Federico can provide some details but from what I've read the pants come with a cutout that you can remove to create a rectangular slot for the buckle. With the pant mod, the rear buckle can be opened and closed without pulling up the pant leg.

I've already removed the velcro strap from my boots but I use B & D leashes which can get in the way during transitions, plus, in the open position the rear buckle tends to snag on pant cuffs/gaiters making the whole change over from tour to ski mode and back again more awkward than it needs to be.

A pant opening for the rear buckle should put end to all that if you're not using the tongue or if the tongue is already in place.

I am about to lose many man points for posting this, but...

I have a pair of Trab lycra stretchy race pants that have ... stirrups. Thats right, I have lycra stirrup pants. They're designed for use with the scarpa F1 lever, so they don't work so great with the TLT 5s, at least as designed.

But - I found if I put the pants on over the liner so that when I ski the pants go down into the boot (but outside the liner) they work great. I look like an absolute fucking douchebag, so bad I can't even stop to say hi to people, but as far as utility goes they are great.

Due to the aforementioned douchebag aesthetics I've only worn them a few times but I think I might be on to something. The days I wore them were powder days and I didn't have a problem with snow getting between the liner and the shell, but I can't figure out why. Seems like that could be a big problem with this idea in winter.

gregL, how did you get the hook part of the velcro off your liners? Mine seems to be glued as well as stitched. Did you just yank really hard after cutting the thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    gregL, how did you get the hook part of the velcro off your liners?
    I just pulled up the edges and cut the threads with an X-acto knife, then pulled the things off.

They use some sort of glue tape that's extremely sticky to place the velcro, it helps to cut through the middle of the glue with the X-acto while you're pulling on it, being careful not to cut into the liner itself. Some glue residue remains that I can't seem to get off.

I'd like to see the back of those Dynafit pants too, if anyone has a picture.
    Last edited by gregL; 01-09-2011 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    I just pulled up the edges and cut the threads with an X-acto knife, then pulled the things off.

They use some sort of glue tape that's extremely sticky to place the velcro, it helps to cut through the middle of the glue with the X-acto while you're pulling on it, being careful not to cut into the liner itself. Some glue residue remains that I can't seem to get off.
    Ditto. Used some old Scarpa liner patches (3 per liner) that I had laying around to cover the glue residue left behind. Could have used the included Dynafit patches as well, but saving them for a special occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    I am about to lose many man points for posting this, but...

I have a pair of Trab lycra stretchy race pants that have ... stirrups.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Quote Originally Posted by Plinko View Post
    Could have used the included Dynafit patches as well, but saving them for a special occasion.
    !!! Whadya know, I never even looked in the bag . . .

Just checked on inventory: all existing orders as of the third of January for Performance 28, 29-30 (28.5 and 30.5 will have to substitute down a half size, only difference is the footbed) and Mountains 28-30.5 should be fulfilled with the next shipment coming in.

Does anybody have news on the 2012 Dynafit Radical bindings, the new boots etc. What surprises me is what seems to by a version of the race boot without the toe flex...
    http://www.ispo-mediaservices.com/pr....2647.4.783887

zzero redesign, titan redesign, and improved heel elevator on ft12 binding.

new race boot is much lighter by simplification.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Some more info in the pdfs: link to ISPO pdf

Seems like the zzero now has a wrap-around design instead of the tounge-design.
    ...or not. On closer inspection it seems pretty much the same as the current model, but with carbon in the back.
    Last edited by hilmersen; 01-11-2011 at 08:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hilmersen View Post
    Seems like the zzero now has a wrap-around design instead of the tounge-design.
    I think that you might be mixing up the fact that the text for the Zzero is under a photo of the Titan?

I'm definitely looking forward to more info. Looks like the "Carbon Titan" may be happening to some degree.

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    zzero redesign, titan redesign, and improved heel elevator on ft12 binding.

Seems like it is the same heel elevator on the st binding as well - but not sure it is an improvement...seems weaker. Seems like there are minor adjustments on the front binding...(there is a white thing on the picture). Considering going for very wide touring ski next year (primarely for kiting), so hope the new binding is even more adapted fot that next year, as I had some prerelease problems with last years bindings on +100mm skis. (Worked perfectly on my 90mm skis).

the 12 gets the TLT race toe, which is nice. and a tru carbon riser, not that fiberglass POS. i am curious of price, as both additions are way more $.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Fondeled them all yesterday. The FT 12 is totally redesigned. Step in toe, wider and stiffer toe, a beefy carbon base plate that you adjust the flex of the binding. Idiot proof climbing risers....
    4 new versions, with the 12, st 10, speed, and a race. Most of the other bindings are still going to be available.

The carbon Titan looses some weight, and may be stiffer. Most of the weight savings are from the liner by the looks of it.

Some Manaslu changes include graphics and bamboo and beech stringers.
    Interesting stuff!

New Titan weight? Does it have swappable soles (yes)?

Yep. Swapable soles, Weight is 1750 if I remember right...

What surprises me is what seems to by a version of the race boot without the toe flex...
    The only difference I see from mine is the elimination of the toe flex? (Oh well, and here I was thinking that it provided a nice little advantage, but now I'll be thinking how it's messing me up, sigh...)

Seems like it is the same heel elevator on the st binding as well - but not sure it is an improvement...seems weaker.
    Did Dynafit license that click-clack guy? (I recall a rumor about that.) Seems like the riser rotates over, instead of having to rotate the entire heel unit?

the 12 gets the TLT race toe, which is nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by alive View Post
    Fondeled them all yesterday. The FT 12 is totally redesigned. Step in toe [...]
    That is definitely not the current Dynafit race toe, although it does incorporate some elements of many other race toe models.
    And does it automatically go into tour mode at first upon step in, like the Plum Guide (and many race models), but then offer the option of pressing it back down into ski mode like the Plum Guide (but not like race bindings)?