Page 19 of 49 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by fifthbusiness View Post
    The $200 question: is the Performance's carbon cuff noticeably worth the extra dough? Anybody skied both and can comment?
    I just tried on the Mountains (have 'em on right now, amazingly comfortable) after getting a couple short runs in last week on a pair of Performances. The mountains are noticably softer. I thought the Performances were so stiff I could easily go to the Mountain, but I think I'm changing my mind.

How many people are using this these with custom made footbeds. The booklet the TLT5P came with says many people could go without due to the anatamical last.

I tried them (27.0) on with the footbeds from my last boots (26.0 Zzeros) and they felt incredibly tight before molding. They were tolerably tight without the footbeds. Should I mold w or w/o the custom footbeds? The boots also come with a pair of very filmsy footbeds I could use.

I molded them with custom footbeds. Before molding they were super tight, especially around the ankle and toes. After molding very comfortable. When I tried them on without custom footbeds before molding, I didn't like the way my bottom of my feet felt. My thinking was the custom footbeds gave me more comfort and more control.

I can't wear mine with my custom footbeds. There simply isn't enough room for the footbeds and my feet. I've been using them with the wimpy factory footbeds. They seem fine. Probably have better control with the customs, but just can't get my high volume feet in the boots with them.

i am using blue superfeet, they were crazy tight but now after 10+ ski days on them they are tight, but in a good way. still have some cramp/soreness issues, but i'm on day 10 in a row.

just did 12k today of really amazing pow skiing, tired, feet cramped up a little, but all good really.

Custom footbes?

Ciao,

TLT5 performance with TF liner is made to fit without or with a very thin footbed. Most of the custom made foobeds are pretty thick and this will reduce a lot the boot fitting.
    If you relly need to use a custom footbed I would suggest to go to a bigger shell size to find the space to use them.

The correct procedure for using the foobeds, as described on the instruction manual, is to heat the liners WITHOUT the footbed, place the foobed inside when the liners are heated, and after wearing the boots. In this way the customization of the liner will be done accomodating also the extra space needed to use the foobed.

Ciao

Harpo, punching the boot width is possible, just need to be done carefully and with a lot of calm!... warm up gently the shel, maybe better with the old style boiling water pot for a few minutes, insert a proper press and leave resting with the press in for half a day.
    Also the self heating "pushing width lasts" works fine for the width increase.
    Anyway I'm not an expert on boot modifications... but I've seen many TLT5 punched in a very good way by expert boot fitters.

As I wrote TLT5 is born to be used fine without the footbed, then it's up to you, I use them as I like more precision on the forefoot.

I think placing a super heavy booster on a boot like this makes no sense. It's like to put a set of Hummer wheels on a Lamborghini Gallardo ;-) ..

Ciao

Quote Originally Posted by harpo-the-skier View Post
    Just tried on my 27.0s. Before cooking, the heel pocket was intolerably tight if I had the foot bed from my Zzeros in there. Without the footbed, it was tight by tolerable thrrough out the foot. Should I cook and mould with or without footbeds? The bootlet that comes with the boots says many people go without footbeds because of the anotomical fit of the shell. I will go to an experienced bootfitter and get his advice too. BTW, Cosmo in Truckee says he has worked with a number of the Dyna/TLT5 boots, so that is another reason to go to him.

I shell fit for a 27.0/27.5, and I went with the 27.0 because I thought it would have more life after cooking as the liner wouldn't come as compressed as that of the 27.5. But it does make it harded to get a feel for the evetual fit of the liners post molding. Shell fit is 1.5 fingers behind my heel.

With the tongue, the performances seemed way stiffer in terms of foward lean than my Zzeros. But that was before molding, and I will have to see how tight I can tolerate having the cuff buckled. Are people using the stock velcro power straps or upgrading to booster straps for these boots?

Also, Fredrico, do you have any more experience or second hand knowledge on punching the proto bellows for width with out compromising its integrity or funtionality? Felt that area from the inside of the shell and it feels complicated. FYI I couldn't feel the proto belows flex at all standing in the boots on the carpet.

i like the Lamborghini Gallardo analogy!

Harpo, mine were uncomfortably tight with my custom footbeds from my F1's in, but I just had the shell stretched today and they now seem fine. My bootfitter (Jim Mates, yeah I know a long way from Tahoe) commented that the Grillamid was pretty touchy to heat, be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Harpo, mine were uncomfortably tight with my custom footbeds from my F1's in, but I just had the shell stretched today and they now seem fine. My bootfitter (Jim Mates, yeah I know a long way from Tahoe) commented that the Grillamid was pretty touchy to heat, be careful.
    Yeah, my bootfitter (cosmo of Truckee) new right away what I was talking about with the TLT 5, so I think he has some experience with them. Where did you have them stretched?

Jim Mates in the Wallingford district of Seattle is my man - he said he's actually been punching carbon fiber as well (not my TLT 5 P's!) on inline skates, you just have to keep pushing through the cracking sounds (not sure I'd have the guts, myself).

I just used my new TLT5 Performance boots yesterday on a coolish Canadian Rockies day - it was -30 degC when we left the truck in the lot! Couple of comments about my experience with these boots. First about fit - I slip into 27.5 Scarpas or 27. 5 Garmonts with a bit of fussin for a fit in the heel area - usually end up using yards of tape over the season no matter what we've tried. I was able to get a decent fit in the Performance TLT's it seems with 28's. No blisters or red spots, no anything after the first day in the boots - I am amazed with how comfortable these were.
    Other comments have appeared about cold - my boots were molded using maybe a bit larger toe-caps than normal to give me a little more room. Even after skiing the morning, a lunch stop wearing two down parkas, down pants and huge BD ice climbing gloves left me nice and warm, even the boots. No sweat! My partner on the other hand did have cold toes in his boots (Scarpas). It was a very cool day! Frostbite city! So in my case I don't think I need to take much more care with these in cold temps than with any other boots I've used.
    About the up, these boots are nothing short of amazing. With tongues in the pack I had kick just like a cross country rig. Nothing sore. Amazing stride. Enough control on the up's 'n down's. I am blown away!!
    And about the down, these boots were easily stiffer than my good old Mega-Rides (and my F3's which I kind of expected) and had no trouble with 178 Mustagh Ata's. I can't wait to try these boots out on my new set of Stokes (my newest turn-o-matic fun boards!).
    So wanted to say to Federico and the rest of the Dynafit development crew - good job guys!
    I do have questions about spare parts - is there any availability of spare buckles/ cables and other bits for the TLT 5 Performance? Going out on the Wapta or other icefields and having spares would be a comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostice View Post
    I do have questions about spare parts - is there any availability of spare buckles/ cables and other bits for the TLT 5 Performance? Going out on the Wapta or other icefields and having spares would be a comfort.
    Before my DyNA, I had never worried about repairs for buckles or walk/ski switch, since boots are usually quite skiable with a broken buckle or walk/ski switch. For the DyNA/TLT5, a single broken buckle or broken walk/ski switch would be a much bigger problem. So for the buckle bails, I just brought extra cord, which I think should work just fine in the TLT5 too. For a buckle that is sheered off entirely, a long Voile strap with metal fastener should work fine. For the walk/ski switch, I bring along an appropriately sized screw rivet, which by locking together the two portions of the cuff in the rear will accomplish the same purpose as the integrated switch.

Thought I'd also post here. I have a pair of lightly(nearly new) 27.0 TLT 5 Mountains that are a size too small for me. Looking to trade for 28/28.5's. Any takers?

I was wondering if anyone can specifically compare the TLT 5 Mountain version with a Scarpa F1? (Can't afford/don't want to afford the Performance model)

I used the original Scarpa F1s for long tours and liked them, but generally Dynafit boots fit my feet better. I've also used the Scarpa F3.

How does the TLT 5 Mountain compare to the F1 and F3? Stiffer fore and aft? Laterally? Any insight would be appreciated. I am planning on using these for LONG tours and the occasional rando race on skinny sticks.

Thanks for the input-

DG

For the way I ski, the mountain tlt5 ski more or less like the F3, ie much better than F1.... tlt5 are way lighter, F3 have the bellow that in some given conditions (long tours on mellow terrain) is a plus

The bellows on my beloved F3's are cracking. Ordered a pair of TLT5 Mtn from Marmot Mountain Works. Hope they fit me. Anybody know when the bigger sizes are due in the USA?

bukkle

If the top buckle breaks, id surely just duct tape the whole top of the boot with the broken buckle in ski mode. Or use a voile strap diagonallly across and then duct tape.
    Can't see that this ski/walk system will be harder to field repair than old style systems anyway.

Big Steve--

I was originally told Nov. 15, subsequently revised to Dec. 15 for the TLT-5 Performances I've had on order from MMW in Bellevue, which are supposed to be in with the larger sizes of TLT-5 Mountains... apparently the production/shipping schedule is slipping a touch at the European end, so this was revised to "hopefully by the end of the month", but early January wouldn't surprise me... no biggie, I can be patient (just hope they get here before the next big dump). Interesting change of pace from the typical "instant gratification" of ordering gear in the internet age... nothing like savoring the anticipation.

Man, these things are proving hard to come by.
    Everyone seems to be selling out even here in the land of the 4-buckle-need a stiffer tongue-not-burly-enough-for-me-USofA

Word is my TLT 5 Performances are on there way to me now in time for an early xmas present. Can hardly wait.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    Everyone seems to be selling out even here in the land of the 4-buckle-need a stiffer tongue-not-burly-enough-for-me-USofA
    Actually, almost no one in the US has actually received any to sell.

The people who said the lower buckle was no good were right, I am ashamed I defended it. Ever since I posted here that it was OK, its been popping open on me constantly. So, my mea culpa:

"You were right
    I was wrong
    You are always right
    I am always wrong"

If anyone figures out an easy fix please post it.

^^ mine are bent, fill and pack with snow, pop open all the time, generallly irritating. i almost don't need them since they are so tight/fitted at this point. springs are also super minimal and pop out, causing the buckle to want to flip open easier.

i think the entire thing needs to be flipped, or the dyna version seems to lock out better and is more low profile

still, i don't want anything else on my feet. the f1 though is an amazing boot considering when it came out, not that much heavier, skis not as well, but not bad at all for what it is.

i think we will see later versions of the boot with a different assembly on the lower buclke, mine will go in for warrenty at the end of the season, if they last that long.. going to try for 30 days x 7k vert in jan, we will see..

Just got some TLT5 Performances thermofitted.

Going up to the 27.0 TLT5 from the 26.0 Zzero was a good idea.

What is the procedure people are using to take the tongues in and out? Do you have to completely undue the bottom buckle?

You can get the tongues out by undoing the buckle and leaving the cable in the slot (so not really completely), but then you have to figure out what to do with them.

I've been either leaving them in all day, and loosening the power strap while repositioning it behind the tongue(s) for skinning (gives you pretty good rearward movement) or leaving the tongues in the car from the start (slightly better ROM and still pretty good skiability). Not excited about the prospect of losing a tongue while trying to handle it in the wind on top of something precarious.